Wachovia VS Band of America

monsoon

This question is for people familiar about Charlotte's two big banks.

A friend of mine works at one of these banks and like all employes I assume of both places give employees a free checking account whey their employee's paycheck. Something happened and he decided to make a statement to management by closing his free checking account, then went to the other bank and opened a checking acount, then told his boss to deposit his check over there. This didn't exactly put him on the fast track to becoming a vice president, but they did do it. :lol:

So my question is do the bankers here see themselves as part of a Charlotte banking fraternity and something like this doesn't matter, or this would be considered treason because the bank is mother the bank is father?

Oh BTW, my friend no longer works that that bank and they did not have a amicable divorce. I am not sure if checking account incident had much to do with it.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I work at BofA, I know people at Wachovia, and have never encountered the situation you describe. Our Associate Banking group works hard to earn our business. There is no expectation, except that it can help us understand customers.

VP is not a difficult level to acheive at a bank. If your friend had not "made a statement" I wonder if things would have turned out differently. The fact he felt it necessary to make a statement makes me wonder if he didn't talk himself out of a job.

VP is not a difficult level to acheive at a bank. If your friend had not "made a statement" I wonder if things would have turned out differently. The fact he felt it necessary to make a statement makes me wonder if he didn't talk himself out of a job.

I agree, you would think the term "VP" would carry more weight like it does in typical hierarchies. Both my parents have worked for banks and both were VP's at some respective point in time depending on which department or which project they were working on. My father works for Wachovia and my mother worked for Bank of America up until I'm guessing around a year ago (I've now lost track.)

Bank of America gave her and our whole family free checking accounts and really low interest rates on cards, loans, etc. We were all upgraded to BoA "Advantage customers" for free after her promotion to VP. Well, upon her "retirement" or self-inspired release, as I like to put it, we were stripped of the free portion, but not of the title, which began charging us monthly without prior notice. They did it very slyly too as they would enter the monthly fee at the end of the statement (which in online statements, you have to purposely recall the last statement in order to notice this.)

Well, I sent emails back and forth with their help desk, of which I got a different answer, from a different person, every time, trying to figure out why I was getting charged every month for something I never actually asked for or agreed to. Well, given they allow you ten lines to state your complaint; this is not enough to get the entire point across. By the time hell was at sea level, they had discounted my money but they strictly refused to reinstate my "advantage privileges," I couldn't even tell you what they were, but it was the fact that they said that that ticked me off. I didn't care, but they said I couldn't get them back without me even asking to get them back. If not for having everything I use to keep up with my accounts, worth, etc, and the fact that they are much more conveniently located (almost everywhere, especially locally for me,) I would dump my little wealth/debt over to Wachovia which has never given our family a single problem in the thirty years my father has worked for them or their various other pre-merger names over the years. I like Wachovia better as a company, but, for right now, I bank with BoA.

p.s. Bands of America is a fun event if you've never been :P (title)

Archived