Knoxville Hits One Million Population!

MidTenn1

The Census Bureau seems to think so. Knoxville showed a Consolidated Metropolitan area estimated population of 993,761 on July 1, 2005 as compared to 980,924 a year earlier. Surely by now, the area has added the additional 7,000 people needed to cross that threshold.

The Knoxville MSA includes Anderson, Blount, Knox, Loudon, Sevier and Union Counties. The Consolidated statistical area includes Roane, Campbell, Grainger, Hamblen, Jefferson and Cocke Counties.

So when you are asked,

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate to break bad news, but those statistics are for the "Combined Statistical Area", which in this case is Knoxville, Sevierville, and Morristown. CSA's and MSA's are completely different. The population of the Knoxville MSA was 616,039 in 2000, and not over 675,000 in 2005. We'll have to wait for 3 cities over a million. :(

• 2 weeks later...

I hate to break bad news, but those statistics are for the "Combined Statistical Area", which in this case is Knoxville, Sevierville, and Morristown. CSA's and MSA's are completely different. The population of the Knoxville MSA was 616,039 in 2000, and not over 675,000 in 2005. We'll have to wait for 3 cities over a million. :(

That's what I was thinking. I was like,"that's not possible". Though that region is pretty populated, it'll be a while before it reaches 1 Million. What are the growth rates up there for the Combined Statistical Area?

When I made my comment I was meaning that there are now 3 cities when referring to the census combined statistical areas I just used the wrong verbage I said "Census consolidated Metro" It will still be some time before Knoxville joins the ranks of a million in the MSA but hey, Knox County itself is basically over 400,000 folks now and major growth is still occurring in the areas in and around K-Town, but it will be a while

Hmm, Knox County's pretty much the same size as Mobile County, just about 3,000 larger. Knoxville's metro area seems to be more spread out than some other metros.

I'm curious about your thought that Knowville is more spread out than some other metros. I think that Knoxville is fairly compact. In some ways it has become more compact with the construction of the highway from Oak Ridge to Maryville, but all metros are getting more far flung. Even at that, Knoxville's outer ring cities of Oak Ridge, Maryville, Sevierville, and Clinton are basically about the same size as the combined Huntsville, Decatur, and Athens area of Alabama. The CSA would include outer ring cities of Loudon, Newport and, Morristown, but again the counties are small and that area doesn't come anywhere close to matching some other comparable sized cities.

I'm curious about your thought that Knowville is more spread out than some other metros. I think that Knoxville is fairly compact. In some ways it has become more compact with the construction of the highway from Oak Ridge to Maryville, but all metros are getting more far flung. Even at that, Knoxville's outer ring cities of Oak Ridge, Maryville, Sevierville, and Clinton are basically about the same size as the combined Huntsville, Decatur, and Athens area of Alabama. The CSA would include outer ring cities of Loudon, Newport and, Morristown, but again the counties are small and that area doesn't come anywhere close to matching some other comparable sized cities.

CSATNCOM.gif

Well...if you look at this map from Policom, the Knoxville CSA and the Morristown CSA (I believe the Census bureau combines these two into one CSA) is quite large in terms of area. It's almost as large as Nashville's CSA. In terms of geography, I think there is quite a bit of land involved here.

CSATNCOM.gif

Well...if you look at this map from Policom, the Knoxville CSA and the Morristown CSA (I believe the Census bureau combines these two into one CSA) is quite large in terms of area. It's almost as large as Nashville's CSA. In terms of geography, I think there is quite a bit of land involved here.

the only big difference between nashville's and knoxville's is that most of nashville's is on livable land. and btw, why doesn't it have memphis's on there?

the only big difference between nashville's and knoxville's is that most of nashville's is on livable land. and btw, why doesn't it have memphis's on there?

Memphis doesn't have a Combined Statistical Area. Basically the Census Bureau decided there was nothing to "combine" it with -- i.e. there are no sizable cities who share commuters with Memphis. Why Oxford, MS, Jackson,TN, Jonesboro, AR, or Blytheville, AR don't fit that description, I'll never know. But Memphis gets no CSA. We're a MSA only. And that map only shows CSA's.

That just goes to show you how subjective these CSA/MSA standards really are. Everyone readily accepts that Nashville's MSA is bigger in terms of population than Memphis's MSA, but no one takes into account the fact that Nashville's covers 50% more land area. Basically, Census definitions say "In the 6,000 square miles around and including Nashville there are 1.45 million people", and "In the 4,000 square miles around Memphis there are 1.27 million people." That really says nothing in terms of comparison and is why Memphians really aren't that upset about the Nashville MSA "overtaking" Memphis in the '90's. :whistling:

The same is true for the Knoxville CSA population figure. It really doesn't communicate much to say that there is 1 million in the CSA. You might as well say there are 6 million in the state. :blink:

Compared to the metros that I live around, the population seems to be more spread out. Two or three metros in Alabama only include one county. If you look at a maps of Greater Birmingham and Great Knoxville and put them next to eachother, the appear to be about the same size, but, Greater B'ham has near 1.1 Million compared to Greater Knoxville's 616,000.

The Huntsville-Decatur CSA only includes 4 counties, and Knoxville's includes 12? I think. But, of course, the ones in Knoxville's are smaller (in area). It looks like Knoxville's CSA is, like I said, about the same size in area as Greater Birmingham, which is quite a bit larger in area than Huntsville's.

As I only lived in Knoxville for 1 year, I can't really say much about it. So, all of my thoughts are just that, thoughts, opinions. But, if I'm not mistaken, a lot of the metro population resides in Knox County, and the fact that there are these quite a few other counties that add to the metro population give it the look of really spread out.

• 3 weeks later...

Knoxville has a far more urban feel to it than Huntsville. I'm also suspicious of the numbers given above. Just a quick rundown in my head shows Knox County at around 400K, Blount at around 115-120K, Anderson at around 75K, Roane at around 50K, Sevier at around 85K, and Loudon at 45K. That's around 770K estimated for 2005. There are a couple of other counties included in the MSA, but I've forgotten which ones (Union and Campbell). It's likely that the area will have over 850K by the next census. I predict at least 1 million by 2020.

These estimates don't make a whole lot of sense anyway. For example, Chattanooga/Cleveland/Athens is one CSA, but why isn't Dalton, GA included? That makes no sense, plenty of people commute between the 2, myself included. So, just for giggles, the real Chattanooga CSA should include these counties: Bledsoe, Bradley, Catoosa(GA), Dade(GA), Hamilton, Marion, McMinn, Meigs, Murray(GA), Polk, Rhea, Sequatchie, Walker(GA) and Whitfield(GA). So if we add these up we get:

Bledsoe: 12,928

Bradley: 92,092

Catoosa: 60,813

Dade: 16,040

Hamilton: 310,935

Marion: 27,757

McMinn: 51,327

Meigs: 11,657

Murray: 40,812

Polk: 15,944

Rhea: 29,918

Sequatchie: 12,691

Walker: 63,890

Whitfield: 90,889

Total TN: 565,249

Total GA: 272,444

Total : 837,693

Sounds a little high doesn't it? Ok, realistically, McMinn and Polk counties don't belong, but if the census bereau counts them, then I will as well. And no one here can make a legit arguement that any of the others don't belong. Anyway, I think you get my point that the numbers can sound a little stupid if you just add in everything around the area.

According to the 2005 census estimate Mobile county has 401,427 people while Knox county has 404,972 people. You're right about Knox having about 3,000 more. But what you didn't point out was that Mobile county is 1,233 Sq Miles while Knox county is only 508 Sq Miles. If Knox county were enlarged to be 1,233 Sq Miles it would probably have at least 600,000 people in it.

That just goes to show you how subjective these CSA/MSA standards really are. Everyone readily accepts that Nashville's MSA is bigger in terms of population than Memphis's MSA, but no one takes into account the fact that Nashville's covers 50% more land area. Basically, Census definitions say "In the 6,000 square miles around and including Nashville there are 1.45 million people", and "In the 4,000 square miles around Memphis there are 1.27 million people." That really says nothing in terms of comparison and is why Memphians really aren't that upset about the Nashville MSA "overtaking" Memphis in the '90's. :whistling:

Knoxville is bigger than most realize, and it is growing considerably. It is now a good sized city. With Tennessee's population at over 5 million, it could easily have more MSA/CSA's at over 1 million. Nice to see Knoxville's CSA at the million mark finally.

Archived