Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LuvTheCity

Parking In Downtown Boston

5 posts in this topic

Great forum -- interesting posts!

For those of us who like to drive SUVs, what are the options for parking in the downtown area -- specifically the Back Bay, Downtown Crossing, the North End, and even as far out as the Kenmore Square area.

The issue is that some parking garages -- notably at the Pru -- have clearance heights too low to accomodate some SUVs. So, ideally I'm looking for garages with at least 6'5" of clearance, or else outdoor parking in a *SAFE*, high-visibility area.

So far, I've had decent luck with the garage at 100 Clarendon, but ideally I'd like something centrally located within the areas mentioned above.

Thanks in advance for any advice or comments!

Best,

LuvTheCity

You can park on top of the bus depot at South Station...unlimited height clearance.....there is a surface lot at the corner of Dartmouth and Newbury in Back Bay...those are the only two I'm positive of. I think the Ritz Carlton Millenium Place has plenty of clearance too and is open to the public.

Thanks in advance for any advice or comments!

I'm sure I've seen SUV's in the parking garage under the common. However, I could be wrong.

One of the hotels around Post Office Square (sorry, don't remember which one) has good parking rates after hours.

If you are good and patient, you can typically find something in the non-resident parking in the Back Bay.

Also, it probably should go without saying given the manifesto's of most on this site, but there is a huge amount of SUV safe parking at the Quincy Adams, Quincy Center (south), 128 (southwest), Riverside (west), and Alewife (north) stations, if you want to take the T in :)

The best place to park in Boston is to not at all. Depending on where you live, take the T and avoid the nightmare that is driving/parking in Boston.

6'5" is pretty high even for an SUV. You will have trouble with that - make sure you read the signs. I would have recommended over on the other side of Fort Point Channel, which is a flat lot, but it is a hike. It depends upon how close you are willing to call it squeezing in.

I have parked an explorer and a Dakota on more than one occasion under the Commons, I think I also did a Tahoe once under there, but that was some time ago.