NC Welcome Signs

nyxmike

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think North Carolina welcome signs are ok and should be updated, but the big problem to me are the city signs. Like instance on 421 heading into Winston-salem there no sign to let you know you have just enter winston-salem city Limits. I think our signs espcally city signs should look like those in California, which show the city name and population.

I think North Carolina welcome signs are ok and should be updated, but the big problem to me are the city signs. Like instance on 421 heading into Winston-salem there no sign to let you know you have just enter winston-salem city Limits. I think our signs espcally city signs should look like those in California, which show the city name and population.

You think that's bad? I don't think Raleigh has changed ANY of their city limits signs in a decade! :rolleyes:

I've been driving along a road before and passed a "Raleigh City Limits" sign....only problem? I was IN Raleigh City Limits for the past 4 miles! :blink:

:rofl:

While I don't think the present ones are truly awful, I think NC could use some fresher ones. I like colorful sings that stand out. Adding color and making it bigger would be my goals if I were making a new one. I think a good idea would be to take a real photograph of some of North Carolina's best scenery (outer banks/lighthouse perhaps?), and blowing it up and putting it as a background to a large sign would be nice. Maybe a sign that applauds North Carolina's emergence into the modern age from tobacco/textiles, etc. Another image I have is of an artist rendering of water with sailboats and a deep orange sunset over them and maybe a lighthouse as well with Welcome to North Carlina in a fancy script underneath. Just ideas off my head...

If anyone wanted to get really cheesy, they could put a "saying" on the sign-something like "We're moving forward together" or something... Who knows, the ideas are endless. As long as it doesn't look too similar to another state...

• 2 weeks later...

I know what you mean. They still havent put the Greensboro City Limit sign back up coming into Greensboro on I-85 from the south. The state spends alot of money on pork belly crap. At the very least we can have more attractive welcome signs for our state and cities.

You think that's bad? I don't think Raleigh has changed ANY of their city limits signs in a decade! :rolleyes:

I've been driving along a road before and passed a "Raleigh City Limits" sign....only problem? I was IN Raleigh City Limits for the past 4 miles! :blink:

:rofl:

Oh yea...and how about those signs that say Greensboro or Raleigh next 8 interchanges when you've already crossed over the city limit? I know its refering to downtown but that being the case it should say "Downtown next 8 interchanges" I hate that crap. It makes the city look like its real small.

I like the idea too,but as fast as we are growing...we would have to change the signs every year just to stay within 15K of being correct

I think that the NC cities could list their populations on their city limit signs as long as they also included the date, something like Raleigh Population est. 276,000 (2000)...just an example, not saying that was Raleigh's actual population in 2000. But that way visitors could tell when that population was valid. Maybe the municipalities could change the signs once every 5 years. It's unrealistic to expect them to update them every year, would probably be expensive.

I think that the NC cities could list their populations on their city limit signs as long as they also included the date, something like Raleigh Population est. 276,000 (2000)...just an example, not saying that was Raleigh's actual population in 2000. But that way visitors could tell when that population was valid. Maybe the municipalities could change the signs once every 5 years. It's unrealistic to expect them to update them every year, would probably be expensive.

California does that for all its cities including the big ones like Los Angeles, San Francisco, Oakland, San Jose, San Diego, Sacramento and Fresno.

That is cool. But, that's kind of expensive to keep up with. In California I think they only use the 10 year Census numbers on their signs.

palo_alto.jpg

medium~pdr_1081.jpg

ECwalking240161x002.jpg

It would be cool if they would include the population of each state on their welcome signs and their state rank (of course with the year date on there too).

Archived