Urban Traveler's Notebook

GRGridGirl

This thread is to:

Discuss our travel plans,

Ask advice on visiting other cities,

Provide tips to felllow planeteers, and to

Update each other on our traveling experiences.

You know the wealth of knowledge found on this board is a tool for many of us.

Keep up the great work! TripleG

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, the real reason why I started this topic is that I'm going to China for 14 days in two weeks.

I want to know if anyone here has been to China?

I'm visiting five cities during my stay, so I'll post photos along the way.

-Leeke Chow

PS: The Beijing Development Updates thread. I'll be in Beijing for 4 days.

Okay, the real reason why I started this topic is that I'm going to China for 14 days in two weeks.

-Leeke Chow

Will ask my colleague, whose hubby works for A Certain Major Local Corporation With A Big Presence In China (Especially Related To Current Events). He goes there quite often, and she's been a couple of times.

I might be going to the Twin Cities this weekend. Where can I get a GR MICH shirt on quick notice? (GVSU will not do!)

-Leeke Chow

They were just in Beijing on the Amazing Race last night. I hear the fish eyes are good...

Will ask my colleague, whose hubby works for A Certain Major Local Corporation With A Big Presence In China (Especially Related To Current Events). He goes there quite often, and she's been a couple of times.

I might be going to the Twin Cities this weekend. Where can I get a GR MICH shirt on quick notice? (GVSU will not do!)

Here's one for ya!

It's not really a Grand Rapids shirt, but it's made by someone in GR.

And besides... it's the truth ;)

I know the airport sells a great collection of Michigan & Grand Rapids shirts. I will usually pick up a few when I visit my out of town family.

They were just in Beijing on the Amazing Race last night. I hear the fish eyes are good...

Oh man!!! I love Amazing Race and I can't believe I missed it, what a bummer.

GRGridGirl, I haven't ever left the country so no traveling advice here, but have fun, I'm jealous, I have to imagine Beijing is an amazing & rapidly changing city. I'm sure it will be quite an adventure!

Pick up some chinese girls for me while you're there. (BTW Veloise, had a few cops at my work last night... when I went to the police station to pick up a report, I kept thinking about you and the boys in blue.)

Anywho, only country I've been to was Canada. But one helpful thing is to try to pick up a few useful phrases in whatever dialect of chinese will be neccessary. God I hate spelling that word.

The Piggly Wiggly finally got knocked over? I hope Amber got scared :lol:

When I was really young I went to Canada thru the Soo. I ended up buying souvenir baseball cards featuring some Canadian team -- the cashier spoke French. Totally bizzar for a young kid at the age of six... I was wowed that the language and culture changed just by crossing a canal. :)

Pick up some chinese girls for me while you're there. (BTW Veloise, had a few cops at my work last night... when I went to the police station to pick up a report, I kept thinking about you and the boys in blue.)

Anywho, only country I've been to was Canada. But one helpful thing is to try to pick up a few useful phrases in whatever dialect of chinese will be neccessary. God I hate spelling that word.

Hmmm I'm not sure if GRGridgirl wants to bring anyone home :P As for my travels I have been wanting to tour Eastern Europe for years now, sadly I just don't have the resources to do it :( Mostly I

-Leeke Chow

I hope you are not scolded by our Governor for going to China. Make sure no cameras are following you and your face shows up in a YouTube ad :(

3G:

Where is China will you be going? I was in China about 5 years ago. We flew into Beijing, stayed for 5 days and then flew onto Kunming...which is in the south.

Beijing is a great city and has a lot to see. We were there in the spring and it was pretty chilly. I think in the early summer they have big wind storms/dust storms.

Kunming is a city that has an eternal spring...very nice and tropical. China is one of the countries that requires much patience because of the language barrier and permits/visas/passport stamps, etc. Other than those few things I found China to be very open and welcoming.

I hear Shanghai is a great city!!!

I am personally off to Cuba again...in late November. I may check out Haiti in January/February.

How are you getting into Cuba? I want to go!

I am a volunteer/Board Member for a local non-profit that delivers medical supplies to neighborhood clinics in Havana. The local churches in Havana distribute these supplies to people who need them.

Our organization has a license from the US Treasury Department that authorizes volunteers associated with the group to travel and spend money. We also have a Commerce Department license for the exportation/importation of medical goods into Cuba. Even with the Treasury license, volunteer travels still have to follow other certain rules that pertain to Cigars, etc...

PM me if you want to know more.

It isnt illegal for American's to go to Cuba, You can catch a connection in Toronto or Montreal.

It IS technically illegal for American's to spend money in Cuba (buying goods, hotels, etc..)

But whatever. Screw the man. The whole embargo thing is retarded.

Don't let customs see a Cuban stamp in your passport. You're asking for a world of trouble if you do.

Flying from Canada and the Carribbean have always been the loopholes for Americans. However, this is a post 9-11 world and it doesn't take much to piss off the customs agents.

I agree about the embargo. Frankly, who care's anymore? They certainly aren't a threat to us now.

3G:

Where is China will you be going? I was in China about 5 years ago. We flew into Beijing, stayed for 5 days and then flew onto Kunming...which is in the south......I hear Shanghai is a great city!!!.....

I start of my trip in Beijing for 4 days. I'll visit the Temple of Heaven, Ming Tombs Museum, the Great Wall, Tiananmen Square (the world's largest public square), the Forbidden City (which in China's Imperial period was the official home of the emperor and his royal court) and then the emperor's Summer Palace. I'll also have two free days in Beijing. Any suggestions?

Next up I head to Xian, home of the life-sized Terra Cotta Warriors of Qin Shi Huang. Made to protect China's first emperor even in death, the Terra Cotta Army was discovered by farmers in 1974. I'll also see the Big Wild Goose Pagoda.

Onward to Shanghai, China's largest metropolis. I'll see the Yu Garden, the bustling shopping district Nanjing Road and the famous waterfront Bund. I then have a free day, any ideas?

After Shanghai, I head to Guangzhou in Canton. My family and I will visit with my father's first cousins, whom we've never met. We'll be here for three days and two nights. I can't wait to eat authentic Cantonese food, yummy!

I finish up my trip in Hong Kong. I'll be there for two days before heading back to the States.

I am very excited to visit China. I've been to Bangkok and traveled from Hanoi to Saigon, but never to China. I feel very lucky to be able to go on this trip; it

Archived