Urban Traveler's Notebook

GRGridGirl

Here's a travel tip not related to China. This was passed along to me by a coworker and worked out VERY well for a business trip to Chicago, and would work great for some urban exploring.

It's called the South Shore Line from Indiana to Chicago.

71518397_68e52148e4.jpg

247938685_75d0edf716_o.jpg

You essentially drive to Michigan City, Indiana and take a commuter train to Chicago (not Amtrak).

- Parking is free at the CARROLL AVENUE STATION in Michigan City. They don't recommend parking overnight, but we had no problems and parked there for four days.

- Cost is $6.50 - $7.70 one way from the Carroll Ave station to downtown Chicago Randolph St/Millenium Park

- The drive to Mich City is about an hour forty five minutes

- The train ride is about two hours from the station to downtown Chicago

- Trains leave about every 50 minutes

- It goes through some rough parts of Indiana (mainly abandoned industrial areas near Hammond and Gary), but as you approach Chicago, it goes through some fantastic transit oriented developments just South of downtown

- Take it to the very last stop (the tracks dead-end), get off and walk through the massive underground Randolph Station on Michigan Avenue near Millenium Park, start walking or grab a cab and off you go!

- Don't take a lot of bags because the overhead bins are small.

- It's essentially a commuter train for people in that part of Indiana, but on weekends there were a lot more travellers. It gets very crowded as you near Chicago and the stops increase in frequency. Adds to the fun.

SCHEDULES (Central time zone)

One Way Fares (You can also buy a return ticket at the station that can be used any time within 30 days)

STATIONS (we went to the Carroll Ave in Michigan City, Indiana, which was very easy to find)

Map to Carroll Ave Station

Randolph Station Map

If you don't mind a little "grit", and don't want to deal with having a car in Chicago or the traffic, it's definitely the way to go. The trains are clean and were right on time.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's another tip I received from my Brother in Chicago:

If you FLY into O'Hare and are staying downtown, take the Blue Line train to downtown. It's only about $2 one way as opposed to $20/cab. When you take the train BACK to the airport, here's the kicker. When you come out of the subway station at the airport, take a left at the top of the stairs/escalators, and do not go to the main check-in area. There are automated ticket dispensers there to the left, and then there is a security check-in there that is primarily used by airport employees (because it's near the employee parking ramp and many employees take the train). But they will check anyone in with a valid airline ticket. The security check-in there only takes about 5 minutes, as opposed to about an hour in the main terminal.

Another gift to pass along.

It's called the South Shore Line from Indiana to Chicago.

This is the only route my wife and I take to Chicago. Once they began tearing up the skyway and the Indiana Toll Road we have given up driving. We often go to Chicago for weekend trips and, once get out of our car at the Carol Street Station in Michigab City never enter a car until our return trip. It is fast, cheap, and fun.

In fact we told my wife's co-workers about this and they went up and back in one day for Lalapalooza in Grant Park. The Van Buren exit drops you right off on the North side of Grant Park and the South Side of Millenium Park.

GGG-

I was in China about 3 years ago (adopting a wonderful daughter) and we toured many of the same places that you listed. Everything was amazing! Starting in Beijing and flying home from Hong Kong is a wonderful experience because you get to see the whole country and the variation in the people.

One of the funniest things that happened on our trip was while we were staying in Guangzhou (at the White Swan Hotel) there was an Amway convention there at the same time. Being from Ada I felt right at home with everyone walking around wearing their Amway name tags!

Bring every electronic distraction that you own for the flights my wife and I ran down the batteries on my I-pod, gameboy and a portable DVD player even with the movies that they were showing.

Ireland would be great fun. I have never been but every Irish person I have met were a lot of fun and really nice. I was in Scotland, England & Wales a few years ago but never made it to the Emerald Isle.

There is the possibility that I might go to Ireland in Spring of 08. Thinking about starting in Dublin, going to Cork, then to the Arian Islands, and back home. (Possible Honeymoon Location)

There is the possibility that I might go to Ireland in Spring of 08. Thinking about starting in Dublin, going to Cork, then to the Arian Islands, and back home. (Possible Honeymoon Location)

Wait for late Spring, as close to June as possible. Because of its location next to the Atlantic, the weather is a lot like the Pacific Northwest, very WET and cold. We went for a week in March, and it rained every day. The locals told us that was very typical through late Spring. And hardly anyone used umbrellas, as if they had given up. :lol: If you're going for a honeymoon, you should check out the Waterford Crystal factory.

I start of my trip in Beijing for 4 days. I'll visit the Temple of Heaven, Ming Tombs Museum, the Great Wall, Tiananmen Square (the world's largest public square), the Forbidden City (which in China's Imperial period was the official home of the emperor and his royal court) and then the emperor's Summer Palace. I'll also have two free days in Beijing. Any suggestions?

Next up I head to Xian, home of the life-sized Terra Cotta Warriors of Qin Shi Huang. Made to protect China's first emperor even in death, the Terra Cotta Army was discovered by farmers in 1974. I'll also see the Big Wild Goose Pagoda.

Onward to Shanghai, China's largest metropolis. I'll see the Yu Garden, the bustling shopping district Nanjing Road and the famous waterfront Bund. I then have a free day, any ideas?

After Shanghai, I head to Guangzhou in Canton. My family and I will visit with my father's first cousins, whom we've never met. We'll be here for three days and two nights. I can't wait to eat authentic Cantonese food, yummy!

I finish up my trip in Hong Kong. I'll be there for two days before heading back to the States.

Yer in luck. I caught colleague just before she headed out the door. She's been to Guangzhou and Hong Kong.

The former: downtown has gardens and temples. You can take a bus or taxi to the mountains or big parks outside DT. Taxis are cheap. Have the hotel clerk write your destination on a card to show the driver, as they might not understand English. She recommends the leather (Chanel purse $7, retail $350), watch ("Rolex" $5), and toy markets.

In HK, take a tram or double-decker bus to the mountains to a small village (name?) from which you can see the ocean. Very beautiful. DT are quaint little shops.

And she says that she was disappointed by the "authentic" food. Suggested eating at the McD's. Described how a whole chicken is prepared (and I do mean whole). YMMV.

In February I went to the Wealthy to catch "Mardi Gras: Made in China" which was a fascinating indie doc about Where MG Beads Come From. If you find any with bicycles (not motorcycles) I'd pay you back!

HTH

I have wanted to visit England since I was a child. My Dad's side of the family came over on about the 3rd boat from there and it's always fascinated me. I recently became aware that hostels are not just for kids anymore. I've been checking around at www.hostelworld.com and am amazed at the prices.

Since I'm not getting any richer or younger, I've decided to suck it up and try the hostel thing. I can stay in them for a week for what I'd pay for a typical hotel room. All I really need is a clean bed and hot shower every day. The dream will become reality much sooner than I ever imagined. The other cool thing once you get over the idea of sharing digs is that you get to meet all kinds of fellow travelers from all over the world! I think it could be a very cool experience. Apparently, there's a huge sub-culture which has developed around "hosteling" AKA "backpacking".

I've started an "England fund" envelope and unless something weird happens, should be able to go within a year without having to finance it on credit cards.

If anyone has any tips or experiences to share, let me know. I also really enjoy reading about your travels as well.

I have wanted to visit England since I was a child. My Dad's side of the family came over on about the 3rd boat from there and it's always fascinated me. I recently became aware that hostels are not just for kids anymore. I've been checking around at www.hostelworld.com and am amazed at the prices.

Since I'm not getting any richer or younger, I've decided to suck it up and try the hostel thing. I can stay in them for a week for what I'd pay for a typical hotel room. All I really need is a clean bed and hot shower every day. The dream will become reality much sooner than I ever imagined. The other cool thing once you get over the idea of sharing digs is that you get to meet all kinds of fellow travelers from all over the world! I think it could be a very cool experience. Apparently, there's a huge sub-culture which has developed around "hosteling" AKA "backpacking".

I've started an "England fund" envelope and unless something weird happens, should be able to go within a year without having to finance it on credit cards.

If anyone has any tips or experiences to share, let me know. I also really enjoy reading about your travels as well.

ive lived in Europe for a year and back packed for another 3 months, (not to mention I was a study abroad advisor for 2 years!)I can tell you pretty much whatever you need to know. For hostels be sure to pick a good one, they run the whole gambit of quality.

A few years ago I visited; London, Cambridge, York, Oxford, Manchester, Birmingham and Liverpool.

Also went up to Edinburgh, Inverness and Glasgow in Scotland. Cardiff in Wales.

York and Edinburgh were highlights but everything was great. I stayed mostly in B& Bs but I do know most Hostels are pretty good in the UK. Oh, bring lots and lots of money. :)

Whenever I am in London I always seem to go WAY over budget!! I love London!

I start of my trip in Beijing for 4 days. I'll visit the Temple of Heaven, Ming Tombs Museum, the Great Wall, Tiananmen Square.....

I thought of something you could do.... I imagine they have parks with millions of pandas roaming around free, if you could just roll around with them for a few hours and take a nap with a few, I'd imagine that would be pretty sweet! :yahoo:

Sean: where were you in Europe? I have lived in Europe on two differnt occasions; Germany and Portugal.

ive lived in Europe for a year and back packed for another 3 months, (not to mention I was a study abroad advisor for 2 years!)I can tell you pretty much whatever you need to know. For hostels be sure to pick a good one, they run the whole gambit of quality.

To actually get to live there - how exciting! One of my friends has been fortunate that when she was laid off from our company, a rival from the Isle of Mann hired her, so she spent the whole summer there - had an amazing time.

I particularly want to see Castle Howard and spend some time in the Yorkshire Dales. Perhaps visit some castles - and old churches are always cool. I'm kind of a history buff. I had planned to get around by train, supplemented by bus when needed. From what I hear, the public transportation is wonderful over there.

Can you give me any hints on picking a good hostel? Also, is it wise to reserve online in advance or take one's chances when you get where you want to crash?

I'm very much a "road less traveled" adventurous kind of girl - I detest planning things in great detail but do want to be sure I have a safe, clean place to sleep and that I get to see everything on my short "must do" list.

GGG - When in the Forbidden City, look around and try to remember for me how much western culture you see in our ever expanding global economy. It's something I do with my students, and since I've never been there first hand, its something I'm curious about.

Ireland, England, Bavaria and the Loire Valley top my list of places I hope to see in the near future. Add to that the Great Pyramids at Giza for much later in life. I have been to Spain, but thats my only European experience.

By the way, if anyone is ever going to Times Square for New Years Eve and would like some tips, let me know. I highly recommend it to anyone.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got back from an 8 day trip that included stops in Ft Lauderdale, Miami and a cruise to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Montego Bay Jamaica and Labadee, Haiti. It was a wonderful time with great weather and scenery.

I was really shocked though by the construction explosion between Ft. Lauderdale and Miami. There are basically office buildings and condo towers along the shoreline for at least 20 miles. Near Miami, I lost count at 20 cranes and many of the buildings under construction will be more than 30 stories. There was actually a good amount of growth and building in Cozumel, although some was due to the destruction left by Hurricane Wilma last year.

I just got back from an 8 day trip that included stops in Ft Lauderdale, Miami and a cruise to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Montego Bay Jamaica and Labadee, Haiti. It was a wonderful time with great weather and scenery.

I was really shocked though by the construction explosion between Ft. Lauderdale and Miami. There are basically office buildings and condo towers along the shoreline for at least 20 miles. Near Miami, I lost count at 20 cranes and many of the buildings under construction will be more than 30 stories. There was actually a good amount of growth and building in Cozumel, although some was due to the destruction left by Hurricane Wilma last year.

Yeah, Miami and South Florida's condo market is quite a bizarre story.

Condo Flipping in Miami - Boom or Bust? This article was written about a year ago.

Experts are saying that if the market declines, Miami may again be at the center of a condo bust. There are more than 64,000 condo units under construction or in the planning stages, according to the city

Okay Planeteer friends, I'm off to China. Stay tuned for updates on my trip.

Enjoy the fall colors in Michigan, go to the Heritage Hill home tour, and the "Beers of the World" Beer Tasting at Mangiamo's on October 21st.

Be nice to each other!

Talk to you soon, Rachel

Archived