Urban Traveler's Notebook

GRGridGirl

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just checking in.....

We made it in to Hong Kong this evening, it is now 12:15am here. I continue to be surprised on how different these cities look in the morning. When you fly in at night they're all lit up like Vegas, but in the morning not soo much bright light.

Gung Bei!

Leeke Chow

• 1 month later...

Okay, with all the talk about infrastructure, I thought I would share some of my photos from China:

A little reminder of home in China:

308251133_1cf173fac6.jpg

At the Great Wall of China just outside of Beijing:

308251138_79b45b68db.jpg

Stanley Market in Hong Kong:

308251130_610c31903d.jpg

Shanghai Road Sign:

308245291_ec4701632a.jpg

These are all over China:

308245281_0bb036704d.jpg

Shanghai Streetscape:

308245287_07ae7fee85.jpg

The Bund in Shanghai:

308245271_4d685bbe7b.jpg

Shanghai People's Park:

308245300_1460175e4f.jpg

• 2 months later...

I'm heading to Lake Tahoe tomorrow for the weekend. I love mountain village towns. I'm planning on taking notes on how visitor friendly Tahoe is to add to the collection.

This trip will be such a contrast from my trip to Anaheim last week. I don't think I could ever live in the LA area, it seems like you spend half a day in your car. My cousin recently relocated to LA and doesn't want to get a place until he knows where he's going to work. According to him, ten miles distance could add an hour+ to your commute.

I'm heading to Lake Tahoe tomorrow for the weekend. I love mountain village towns. I'm planning on taking notes on how visitor friendly Tahoe is to add to the collection.

• 5 months later...

Hey PT:

We stayed with my wife's sister on the Asian side of Istanbul, near Kadikoy. So it was a pleasant ferry ride over to the European side.

We went to Galata and most of the tourist places.

I miss so much food; Turkish coffee (even though my wife makes me this), simit, doner, kofte, etc...

Yes, I agree...the Istiklal Caddesi is the place to be...love all the people, shops, cafes.

I should have some pics soon...I'll let you know.

I was in Istanbul in April, it was a little too cool then. June and September are probably perfect. I miss the grape leaves, I miss the lentil soup, heck, I miss the simit. Where did you stay?I stayed at Empress Zoe the first half, then an apartment near Galata Tower. Did you go to Chorya? Did you get to the ceramic place nearby with upstairs that had all the "good stuff"? We bought ceramics and rugs from them. They will be in Milwaukee in September for the Turkish festival. Very nice people. We ate at Asitane/Anistase next door, very good. Also ate at the Cistern and Medusa in Istanbul, among others. Hope you got to the Pera Museum and the Modern. I miss walking the Istiklal. Any pics?

I have been in Italy for 2 weeks now. I'm staying in San Giovanni in Persiceto, which is about 15 or 20km outside of Bologna, which is towards the northern end of Italy. It's been all work so far, so I've seen the hotel, the Haworth office and many restaurants. The people here are all VERY nice, and the food... the food is unbelievable. It honestly amazes me they aren't all a million tons here. Most meals go Antipasto -> Pasta Dish (full serving of pasta)-> 2nd Dish (usually not pasta but meat or vegetable based again a "full" helping) -> Salad -> Dessert -> Coffee -> The coffee killer (Grappa) with Red, white wine or water (soda or natural) for drink. That's how EVERY meal, lunch and dinner goes.

Tomorrow we're off to Venice, and then Sunday I believe we're heading to Florence/Pisa. It will be a nice break after working no less than 10-14 hours a day for the past 12 days. It is HOT here too, 106 degrees today. The other thing about San Giovanni is it's 5km from Modena, which is where Lamborghini's are produced. Every morning I see them test driving 2 or 3 brand new cars up and down the street of my hotel (which is the same street the plant is on). It's an amazing sight to see a car go from 0-100 in about 4 seconds, and the sound is AWESOME.

Tuesday I fly to the Netherlands for the rest of the week to visit family. I'll try and post an update and maybe some pictures if I get a chance.

I have been in Italy for 2 weeks now. ... and the food... the food is unbelievable. It honestly amazes me they aren't all a million tons here. Most meals go Antipasto -> Pasta Dish (full serving of pasta)-> 2nd Dish (usually not pasta but meat or vegetable based again a "full" helping) -> Salad -> Dessert -> Coffee -> The coffee killer (Grappa) with Red, white wine or water (soda or natural) for drink. That's how EVERY meal, lunch and dinner goes. ...

Archived