Pedestrian Bridge Design Competition

fridayinla

Hi Guys. I took a short hiatus from my usual hobbies while I was designing my entry for the brige design competition. The project started small and grew into a huge chore... but the work is done now and I've already submitted. :yahoo: I thought I'd share with you guys! I drew 4 perspectives in Photoshop/Illustrator which I've included below. I watermarked and scaled them down b/c the submission deadline isn't for a couple weeks. Feel free to make candid comments. Obviously at this point the design is just "conceptual" and details such as structural support and handicap access are still theoretical. I named it the "River Bridge" b/c the serpentine shape is meant to emulate the winding path of a river.

188486485.jpg

188486500.jpg

188486490.jpg

188486493.jpg

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Guys. I took a short hiatus from my usual hobbies while I was designing my entry for the brige design competition. The project started small and grew into a huge chore... but the work is done now and I've already submitted. :yahoo: I thought I'd share with you guys! I drew 4 perspectives in Photoshop/Illustrator which I've included below. I watermarked and scaled them down b/c the submission deadline isn't for a couple weeks. Feel free to make candid comments. Obviously at this point the design is just "conceptual" and details such as structural support and handicap access are still theoretical. I named it the "River Bridge" b/c the serpentine shape is meant to emulate the winding path of a river.

images snipped for reply

Stephen, Stephen, Stephen... what can I say? I really like this. WAY better than I would have done, no doubt!! And I love the fact that you emulated the winding river in your design... EXCELLENT. And I say this seriously... I think this is excellent, my friend, and I think you have an AWESOME chance at winning! And it's drawn up as professionally as any architectural firm might do.

Stephen, Stephen, Stephen... what can I say? I really like this. WAY better than I would have done, no doubt!! And I love the fact that you emulated the winding river in your design... EXCELLENT. And I say this seriously... I think this is excellent, my friend, and I think you have an AWESOME chance at winning! And it's drawn up as professionally as any architectural firm might do.

Thanks for the nice comments, Brian. After working on this for so long I see only the imperfections. It's nice to hear a neutral person's opnion. We'll see what happens in a few weeks!

Thanks for the nice comments, Brian. After working on this for so long I see only the imperfections. It's nice to hear a neutral person's opnion. We'll see what happens in a few weeks!

What imperfections!?!? Seriously, you are your own worst critic... it's human nature. But this is excellent, my friend, and no doubt your hard work has paid off. Even in the event you didn't win I couldn't see you not being in the top 3. Of course we have to see all the competition, but this is awesome. You really did your homework and drew the Boardwalk and downtown Shreveport very well.

Thanks for the heads up Brian :thumbsup:

fridayinla that's very impressive work!! :good: Something to be proud of for sure. Like Brian said, the winding river design is innovative and sets it off. The urban setting is very nice too. One question? how tall would your bridge have to be; to be high enough above the water for larger boats to clear? Does the port stop south of SBC? I also like your little people enjoying themseves,esp. the girl posing at the river's edge in pic#3. :lol: Let us know how you do! Congrats.

Thanks for the heads up Brian :thumbsup:

fridayinla that's very impressive work!! :good: Something to be proud of for sure. Like Brian said, the winding river design is innovative and sets it off. The urban setting is very nice too. One question? how tall would your bridge have to be; to be high enough above the water for larger boats to clear? Does the port stop south of SBC? I also like your little people enjoying themseves,esp. the girl posing at the river's edge in pic#3. :lol: Let us know how you do! Congrats.

Thanks Richy. :) Regarding the height... I'll tell ya, I had a hard time with that. I think I was explaining this somewhere else recently, but the Urban Land Institute's pedestrian bridge length suggestion was 1/3 the length of the Texas Street Bridge, which is basically bank to bank. The only way to really get some decent height with the length restriction, is my opinion to have a staircase. I designed the bridge to "appear" at least 20' above the water. I may or may not have acheived that with the shadowing. The port of SBC is south of the city, so the only real necessary clearance is for smaller recreational boats, which 20' should be plenty for.

The only problem is, while the port is south of Shreveport-Bossier, they're still studying the possibility of adding a lock & dam system in Texarkana and making the river navigable between here and there. That said, I still think your concept would easily conform if it had to be built a bit higher than 20'.

Anyway, are you planning on being present at the actual presentation event, Stephen?

By the way, this bridge looks like it would be fun to rollerblade on... so there's definitely a "fun" factor already thrown in.

The only problem is, while the port is south of Shreveport-Bossier, they're still studying the possibility of adding a lock & dam system in Texarkana and making the river navigable between here and there. That said, I still think your concept would easily conform if it had to be built a bit higher than 20'.

Anyway, are you planning on being present at the actual presentation event, Stephen?

By the way, this bridge looks like it would be fun to rollerblade on... so there's definitely a "fun" factor already thrown in.

I agree, there's some flexibility in the design. Yeah, I'm flying in for that weekend. I think the event is on Sat. Oct 16.

Wow. I had no idea it was going to be so well received. Thank you all for the nice comments!! :)

Well, guessing the amount of work you probably put into that design, and the quality of the design itself, I think it's safe to say you deserve them all! :thumbsup:

Well, Stephen, I've heard through the grapevine that a prominent Shreveport architect (I'll withhold his name for now) has a pretty impressive design for the pedestrian bridge. There seems to be a buzz about it right now.

But having actually seen your design, I'd say he probably has no idea what his competition has in store... especially someone like you who isn't even an architect!

Best of luck, man... I know you'll do well. It's only about 2 1/2 weeks now, right?

Well, Stephen, I've heard through the grapevine that a prominent Shreveport architect (I'll withhold his name for now) has a pretty impressive design for the pedestrian bridge. There seems to be a buzz about it right now.

But having actually seen your design, I'd say he probably has no idea what his competition has in store... especially someone like you who isn't even an architect!

Best of luck, man... I know you'll do well. It's only about 2 1/2 weeks now, right?

How did I not see this post until just now? Any clue to the design concept?! How can I compete with a real architect? Thanks for being so supportive Brian. But you know, for the actual contest, my design will only be judged along with other entries from the general public. I believe professionals have a separate category. Honestly, I'd be thrilled to just do well in my category. Do you think a design from this competition could actually be built? :)

188486485.jpg

188486500.jpg

188486490.jpg

188486493.jpg

no offense, they look good....but Im pretty sure there has to be a certain height for boats to pass under

unless its retractable

I agree, there's some flexibility in the design. Yeah, I'm flying in for that weekend. I think the event is on Sat. Oct 16.

can you tell us where this will be and if its open to the public?

no offense, they look good....but Im pretty sure there has to be a certain height for boats to pass under

unless its retractable

Definitely. I recall bringing that point up, myself, and Stephen mentioned that he'd checked into that and taken it into consideration. I love his design.

• 2 weeks later...

I just found out the Bridge Design Competition awards ceremony is going to be this Saturday @ 11am at the Barnwell Art Center in downtown Shreveport. Maybe I'll see some of you there! :)

Ahh man, that sucks! I'd like to meet up with you to say hello, but I'll be up in Texarkana Saturday morning. Then we'll be rushing back here with my mother-in-law to take her to Chimp Haven & Gators and Friends that afternoon.

Be sure and fill us in on how you do! And if you're in town longer than a day, PM me and I'll give you a number to contact me by and I'll try to catch up with you.

Archived