Tornadoes

Rwarky

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
TX, due to its geographical size, records more tornadoes than anywhere else on earth. OK has the greatest concentration of occurrence (Ok is 2nd in absolute number reported). KS is 3rd in absolute number recorded, and Nebraska is 5th. The Plains states report the greatest # of tornadoes, but - with the exception of TX - the greatest number of deaths and injuries are in the SE and along the E Coast.

This is from the wikipedia search of Alabama under the "Climate section" of the state description on Alabama's torndado history. I thought this quote was interesting, "....Alabama shares the dubious distinction, with Kansas, of having reported more F5 tornadoes than any other state - according to statistics from the National Climatic Data Centers for the period from Jan. 1, 1950 to Oct. 31 2006."

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

^Same here. Scary night in Dixie.

Could have been much worse as the super cell lifted a tornado right before it came into Metro Davidson. Wall cloud went right over DT and then dropped again about 15 miles away and stayed on the ground and killed at least 19 in that area.

We almost had a repeat of 1998 when one went right through DT.

*bump*

After last night's deadly outbreak in Arkansas, Tennessee, and Mississippi; I just wanted to pass along my prayers and condolences to anyone in the UP community and the effected areas in general. It was a tragic loss of life.

This was one of the largest tornado outbreaks in nearly 3 years. I must say that when the storms hit last Wednesday morning that I thought they would have weakened, but apparently that reintensified instead. More than 50 people lost their lives in these storms, and that is bad regardless time of the year.

Very informative jaxboro. Thank you. I didnt know that the death toll was still cimbing! That's not good news. I say its a miracle that the twisters lept over downtown Nashville. I can just immagine the damage if a f3 or f4 hit downtown... I went outside when the cell was over west end (not the smartest move but I wanted to see if i could hear anything as to know if I should hit the deck or not. -I live near Belmont). I looked up at the sky and the clouds were swirling really fast but it was eerily calm on the ground. No rain or anything. Freaky. My condolances go out to anyone affected.

This is the third time since 2002 that the city of Jackson has been directly hit by a tornado. Union University in fact was hit in two of those events, the one in 2002 and this latest storm in which much of its campus and several of it dormatories were severely damaged. Amazingly and thankfully no students died in last Tuesday nights direct hit on the campus...which can only be seen as a "miracle" in for anyone who has seen pictures of how badly those dorms were hit. I have not heard or read a total of what it is estimated the damage to Jackson will end up being, but being that it hit the Universit and tore through the higher end residential, commercial, and medical areas in North Jackson I would think the price tag could end up being quite steep.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

*bump*

Last Sunday night, there were a few tornadoes that touched down close to me in Davidson County, NC and in High Point. In Davidson County there was a mobile home park hit where some of the trailers were picked up and thrown into a nearby lake by an EF2. In High Point, 649 buildings were damaged with 25 dwellings being condemned in the aftermath of an EF3 which struck. Fortunately there was no loss of life or serious injury. The storms struck after dark (NC leading the nation in night-time tornado deaths.) Please keep them in your thoughts and prayers.

Today at work I was showing some co-workers pictures of the damage from one of the neighborhoods in High Point. This neighborhood has interested me greatly because the same builder developed this neighborhood that developed mine using similar floor plans. One house looks as if the upper story was pushed like a building block. We were arguing today that there must have been some kind of failure in the construction of that house. I argued, as an EF3 can cause considerable damage. However, looking online this evening, I don't think I've ever seen anything similar to this, as most homes loose roofs, window, walls, etc. Here is a link to the picture gallery from the WGHP website, the pic showing the house is number 29. What do you think?

Here is a link to the section on WGHP's website concerning the tornado damage.

Archived