Tornadoes

Rwarky

By the way, isn't Moore where the National Weather Service is headquartered? If so, that's extremely ironic... in a not-so-good way.

The Storm Prediction Center are located in Norman. National Weather Service is headquartered in Sliver Springs, Mayland. The National Hurricane Center Tropical Prediction Center is in Miami which was destroyed by Andrew in 1992.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Storm Prediction Center are located in Norman. National Weather Service is headquartered in Sliver Springs, Mayland. The National Hurricane Center Tropical Prediction Center is in Miami which was destroyed by Andrew in 1992.

Norman... that's the town I was thinking of. And I thought it was the NWS, thanks for the info. :)

Yes. That was a seperate storm, but keep in mind there were a number of tornadoes here that day. This was one that went south of Nashville through the northern parts of Rutherford County.

Yeah, I remember 2 different supercells trained over practically the same area that day. Anyways, how has the reconstruction and recovery of Gallatin, Hendersonville, and Southern Sumner County coming you guys? Has any businesses been able to reopen yet?

Yeah, I remember 2 different supercells trained over practically the same area that day. Anyways, how has the reconstruction and recovery of Gallatin, Hendersonville, and Southern Sumner County coming you guys? Has any businesses been able to reopen yet?

yeah, I think things are going fine. As good as they can go I suppose. Contractors are backed up till spring from what I hear, but what else is new, eh? LOL!!!

In the Atlanta/North Georgia area, we usually have a few small tornadoes a year, usually in late winter/early spring or late fall. On occasion, we'll have an F2/F3 tornado, usually to the southwest or northeast of the city. We had an F3 hit the affluent suburbs to the northeast a few years back, and I remember a fairly significant twister tearing thru Buckhead back in the 1970's.

• 2 weeks later...

Tornadoes came through west Tennessee back in March/April and killed 26 people. A week later, stormy weather was forecast for the Memphis area and - I kid you not - the schools, universities, and city and county offices closed. Just a forecast for bad weather. Fortunately I suppose, it turned out relatively okay with just one tornado warning during the afternoon and some fairly sizeable hail.

But I've never seen a city shut down simply because of a forecast. I suppose everyone was understandably a little skittish. :blink:

Tornadoes came through west Tennessee back in March/April and killed 26 people. A week later, stormy weather was forecast for the Memphis area and - I kid you not - the schools, universities, and city and county offices closed. Just a forecast for bad weather. Fortunately I suppose, it turned out relatively okay with just one tornado warning during the afternoon and some fairly sizeable hail.

But I've never seen a city shut down simply because of a forecast. I suppose everyone was understandably a little skittish. :blink:

That has happened a couple of times in Birmingham.

Apparently, I didn't even realize it but I drove through a rotating supercell thunderstorm this afternoon on my way to class. :blink: There was a slew of Tornado Warnings for Clay, Randolph, and Cleburne Counties associated with this heavy thunderstorm that I thought was unusually strong. There was footage of the storm's wall cloud on a skycam on the local ABC affiliate of the Birmingham market.

• 3 months later...
Raleigh got hit by a very strong tornado in '89 it was a F-4. Several fatalities. It was really freakish late at night 3:00 AM maybe and in the month of November. Leveled a K-mart and demolished several neighborhoods in North Raleigh.

I guess theres one of two in the metro every year. weak ones typically.

South Carolina seems to be pretty fortunate concerning tornados. Most activity is confined to the areas around Columbia, Sumter, and eastern Berkeley County. Otherwise most other reported tornado activity is associated with hurricanes that make landfall.

Since I moved to SC, I haven't seen any tornados and York County has only had 1 tornado warning that I'm aware of.

Now, when I lived in OH, I would get several watches and warnings a year. A funny story was back when I was in High School, my friends and I were driving from our small town of Orrville over to Canton, OH to go the big multiplex to watch the opening night of the movie "Twister", and we heard the sirens and sure enough, about a mile behind us, there was a tornado on the ground. IT would up being an F3, and damaged several farms and barns, and trees, but killed no one thankfully.

Someone mentioned the big 74 outbreak. My dad at the time was living in a town in SW Ohio near Dayton called Xenia. An F5 hit that town, during that outbreak and practically left the town in complete ruins. It remains the worst tornado to ever hit the Buckeye State.

^

The Xenia storm, and the entire 74 outbreak, has become legendary - books, a made for TV movie & many, many scientific studies. I attached a map (from the NOAA site) of the entire outbreak below - the Xenia storm is #37 on the map, a little above the center.

East of the Appalachians, it's a much more sporadic occurrence - from GA to New England, you'll see a big outbreak once or twice a decade on average. Thus far there haven't been any F5's officially recorded on the E Coast, though the storm that hit Worcester & Shrewsbury MA in 1953 is thought to have probably been of that intensity (and is discussed as such on the Worcester NWS site).

post-10268-1170974554_thumb.jpg

Nashville has a database of every recorded tornado to ever strike Middle Tennessee and a short description of the scale of the tornado, where it was, and what kind of damage it did. It really is a great resource.

Middle Tennessee:

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ohx/tornado.php

Nashville-Davidson county:

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ohx/tornado/davidson.php

We normally have at least one tornado warning for our county every year.... and at least one confirmed in the metro area (or at least in the region) per year.... sometimes more or less.

East Tennessee does not see near as many tornadoes as middle and west Tennessee does. Middle Tennessee seems to be a tornado alley.

Here is an interesting study about the assessment of risk to human life when "HIGH RISK" severe weather outlooks are issued for the Southeast. The dreaded high risk is rarely issued and almost always results in loss of life.

You're right about the April 3, 1974 Super Outbreak Ohio. That is a legendary outbreak for very good reason. More F5s were spawned that day than any other day in recorded weather history. Some notable ones that day were in Xenia, Ohio, Brandenburg, KY, and Guin, AL. This storm system also produced a back to back F3 and F4 tornado through the Decatur/Huntsville area after sunset. Search and rescue and other residents cleaning up from a tornado that had just come through there had to scramble back to cover only an hour or two later.

www.talkweather.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=39642

• 2 weeks later...
^

The Xenia storm, and the entire 74 outbreak, has become legendary - books, a made for TV movie & many, many scientific studies. I attached a map (from the NOAA site) of the entire outbreak below - the Xenia storm is #37 on the map, a little above the center.

East of the Appalachians, it's a much more sporadic occurrence - from GA to New England, you'll see a big outbreak once or twice a decade on average. Thus far there haven't been any F5's officially recorded on the E Coast, though the storm that hit Worcester & Shrewsbury MA in 1953 is thought to have probably been of that intensity (and is discussed as such on the Worcester NWS site).

Have they come out and said what size the tornados were that hit the town of Enterprise, AL last week or the one that hit the hospital in Americus, GA? I haven't heard what size they were if they have.

That was a pretty bad outbreak, and seems extremely early for it too.

Archived