Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kcgridlock

An amazing part of KC, photo tour!

Ten hits (half are probably mine) then add in Devin etc and practically nobody has viewed this thread in two days.

Thanks monsoon, but now I remeber why I don't vist here much. No interest in KC :(.

about neither thumper, the Sevillian looking buildings were all built in the 20s, 30s, 40s and 50s.

But the skyscrapers have been built since maybe the 60s. (up to even this day)

However, the highrises in this photo (dead center, not on top, not on bottom) were all built in the late 20s and early 30s I believe.

100_0502.JPG

Nice pictues. I happen to like KC, and have been a couple of times. It really impressed me the first time, I was expecting something much smaller.

I have put photothreads on SSC and SSP and gotten virtually no response. Like over 100 hits and two one sentence replies. I always figured it was because no one cared much about boston, but I have put up threads from Albuquerque and Santa Fe too with the same results. At least here I get a few thoughtful, non-confrontational responses.

Is this a rennovated area of kansas city, or is it all newly built? In either case they seem to have done a good job.

I like this building. Any details?

100_0476.JPG

Actually, the tower in that pic you posted wah built in the last five years, but it resembles others that have been in the Plaza area since the 20's.

The Plaza started in the teens and hasn't quit yet. That's why so many citys have tried to replicate the Plaza and fail. You just can't duplicate something that has evolved over 75 years. You can look in any direction and see an incredible mixture of buildings representing at least every decade. It's hard to explain, but there is nothing like it in the country and first time visitors and always amazed that a midwestern city has such an area.

BTW, for those who don't know, the Plaza is not Downtown. KC has three primary Downtowns, The Loop, Crown Center and the Plaza. Although there is nothing over 25 floors on the plaza, there are probably more higrises in the area than most mid sized cities have downtown.

There are also more urban residents there than most large cities have in there downtowns. But this is just one part of urban KC and when you think about what's going on Downtown and Crown Center and all points between, KC basically has a core that is developing into 5 solid miles of vibrant urbananity, something cities twice the size of KC do not have. Just more to surprise those who have never been to KC and expect a rural cowtown or something.

That was a fantastic tour. The city is crawling with people! B) I'm very interested in KC, the forum is getting so big its hard to see and reply to everything!

Yeah, it is getting hard to see everything. It seems that I have been missing a few good threads lately :(

Oh well, it means forum activity is up.

I was quite surprised to learn that the one tower is less than 5 years old. It fooled me! I figured it was old. They did a nice job with the design & construction of it.