Beale Street out of control

idlewild

Has anyone been down to Beale Street lately on a Saturday night?

If you have you will notice, that you are wanded to enter the street, there are more people on the street than inside the clubs, and crime has escalated. Will this be the beginning of the end of downtown b/c of the criminal activity and thugs as well as crusing that is infiltrating downtown.

your thoughts....

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you have you will notice, that you are wanded to enter the street, there are more people on the street than inside the clubs, and crime has escalated. Will this be the beginning of the end of downtown b/c of the criminal activity and thugs as well as crusing that is infiltrating downtown.

your thoughts....

Not with Residents for a Safer Downtown on the case! http://www.saferdowntownmemphis.com/

Support them in this war on crime.

Yes! It has gotten out of control. The clubs are catering to this type of crowd. 152 is blasting Rap music along with Alfreds. You use to hear Dance music and blues. Now it is Rap. The only place that is safe is coyote ugly but you have to go through the crowds.

The cruising is out of control and the Police has been hitting the cruising hard by writing tickets to them for seatblets, and loud music. The local news channels did stories on how beale street is changing (they might still be on the website www.wreg.com

I think that when the MGM THEME PARK opens at the riverbend crossing people will no longer go downtown. They will go to the riverbend crossing night clubs

My solution to fixing beale streets problem is to charge a cover to get on the street. This would keep the people off the street who is not buying anything but just hanging out.

There needs to be a way to keep the people moving like in New Orleans

your thoughts....

I didn't know the crime in downtown was rising...but what do I know I don't live downtown. From the way you put it sounds like Bourbon St. in New Orleans. I hope it doesn't turn into something like that.

Yes! It has gotten out of control. The clubs are catering to this type of crowd. 152 is blasting Rap music along with Alfreds. You use to hear Dance music and blues. Now it is Rap. The only place that is safe is coyote ugly but you have to go through the crowds.

The cruising is out of control and the Police has been hitting the cruising hard by writing tickets to them for seatblets, and loud music. The local news channels did stories on how beale street is changing (they might still be on the website www.wreg.com

I think that when the MGM THEME PARK opens at the riverbend crossing people will no longer go downtown. They will go to the riverbend crossing night clubs

My solution to fixing beale streets problem is to charge a cover to get on the street. This would keep the people off the street who is not buying anything but just hanging out.

There needs to be a way to keep the people moving like in New Orleans

I believe the police and gov't officials will crack down on it. RSDM won't let it get out of control without hassling the police until they do something about it.

I don't know if riverbend will ever be a legit alternative. It depends how it's designed. So far, the projects seems to be geared to an older demographic.

I believe the police and gov't officials will crack down on it. RSDM won't let it get out of control without hassling the police until they do something about it.

I don't know if riverbend will ever be a legit alternative. It depends how it's designed. So far, the projects seems to be geared to an older demographic.

I don't think it just a Police Problem. The clubs need to get on board.

Outside music needs to be turned of at 12pm (which is blasting rap)

Outside bars sales need to stop at 12pm.

Signs need to posted that you need to be in a club by a certain time our you will be asked to leave

Traffic grants on the weekend has been allowing the Police to crackdown some one cruising. But the Police can't be on every corner

Outside music needs to be turned of at 12pm (which is blasting rap)

Outside bars sales need to stop at 12pm.

Signs need to posted that you need to be in a club by a certain time our you will be asked to leave

Traffic grants on the weekend has been allowing the Police to crackdown some one cruising. But the Police can't be on every corner

I hope you mean 12am :blink: The police already have all of these things in place. At about 2am, they force everyone to leave or go inside a club. Personally, I don't think its too out of control. What should we expect with a lot of people and a lot of booze?!

I hope you mean 12am :blink: The police already have all of these things in place. At about 2am, they force everyone to leave or go inside a club. Personally, I don't think its too out of control. What should we expect with a lot of people and a lot of booze?!

I don't think it's too out of control either, and certainly rap music is not the problem. I f you really want to look at it and what may cause some of the problems how about booze like, call a cab or big ass beer.I'm positive that has more to do with it than Rap. But blame all the drunk ass activity on rap if you want. Thats a cop out to the real problem, DRUNK ASS PEOPLE

Beale Street is not out of control IMO. It's wild on the weekends but that's what you should expect from our city's #1 night-time entertainment destination. It's nowhere close to level of Bourbon Street. For one, Bourbon has numerous strip clubs and mildly concealed prostitution rings.

I'm all for putting more law enforcement in and around Beale St, to combat rising crime. But I'd be completely against covers just to get on the street. Half the fun of going down there is just walking around and getting a feel for all the activity.

One thing I'd like to see on Beale is more blues music. I have no problem with rap, but blues is our heritage. You can still see live blues bands in Handy Park and in various night clubs, but not to the extent that I would like to see. More blues on the streets and in the clubs will help emphasize the street's culture historically, reminding visitors where our music tradition originated.

I'm also hoping for more family-oriented dining/entertainment at the foot of Beale to be geared towards future residents/guests of One Beale.

when is last time yall have been to beale street on a Sat. night and been down there past 12am. Then you will see what the person ment when he started this tend

Go down there this Sat night if you can and stay past 12am and see for yourself

To be wanded to get on the street that should say it all.

And the police has to force people of the street with force.

I've heard about Beale St. getting a little too rowdy. I don't think crime will get too bad in central Memphis, because that means people will be reluctant to come downtown because they may get jacked or shot, which translates into loss of residents. I remeber Beale St. used to be ghetto in the 70s.

Beale Street isn't out of control. It's just gotten blacker. I haven't seen any poor behavior, and I go down there all the time. Sure, they are riding around Peabody Place and the surrounding streets playing loud music and talking with friends, but who didn't do that when they were young? The only problem is the thumping music and the cruising, which they should ticket heavily. I have not seen a single instance of lewd or obscene behavior, nor have I really seen anything inappropriate. Even fights are extremely rare, which is saying something for a place that hosts millions of partiers every year. That street belonged to the black folks first, and they made it what it is. They should get to enjoy its revival as well.

Beale Street isn't out of control. It's just gotten blacker. I haven't seen any poor behavior, and I go down there all the time. Sure, they are riding around Peabody Place and the surrounding streets playing loud music and talking with friends, but who didn't do that when they were young? The only problem is the thumping music and the cruising, which they should ticket heavily. I have not seen a single instance of lewd or obscene behavior, nor have I really seen anything inappropriate. Even fights are extremely rare, which is saying something for a place that hosts millions of partiers every year. That street belonged to the black folks first, and they made it what it is. They should get to enjoy its revival as well.

I could not agree more Black People should enjoy it's revival. Most on the comments on this board probably come from people who rarely go anyway, so since you feel it's unsafe don't go anymore. I will never be afraid to go Beale or any other place in the city I so choose to go. I grew up in this city and this is my home and I refuse to live in fear of going places hiding behind the FEEL SAFE THEORY. BULLcrap! BE A MAN.

The only time I saw something was when this guy attack a girl. I think he said something wrong or he grabbed her. She stole on his face three good times. Other than that, a bunch of half-naked, endowed women walking around rolling their eyes at drunken men grabbing and yelling "Eh, Shawty Come here." ( some get lucky, most don't) Memphis dialects are great.

Its not a place for everyone. If you can handle drunken crowds, half-naked women, booze, and music then go..

when is last time yall have been to beale street on a Sat. night and been down there past 12am. Then you will see what the person ment when he started this tend

Go down there this Sat night if you can and stay past 12am and see for yourself

I was just down there this Saturday night. It was too many people for me, so I went to Rum Boogie and then the Plush Club. The remodeling that they've done in the Plush is so "big city cool!" I didn't see anything out of the ordinary while walking down Beale to get to the club though. Only about 100,000 drunk people, but thats what I expected to see. It can get rowdy, but it looked like everyone was having a good time to me though.

On another note, I've taken my kids down there during the day time and had a blast eating, listening to music, riding the ducks, etc. etc. etc..... I think its okay.

I couldn't agree more. the news story used certain buzz words like "the population is changing" and "criminal element" after a certain hour. However, they didn't report any incidents or show any statistics that supports an increase in crime.

And it's true, black people tend to come to Beale at or after 12.00. Just because they aren't going into a club, doesn't mean they aren't spending money. To me the lure of Beale is having a drink and hanging out on the street til the wee hours of the morning. I can go to a bar or a club anywhere.

I always admired Beale for being a place where all races in memphis could converge in a social environment, especially given the history of the street. Unfortunately, it looks like a good thing is coming to an end.

That's Bourbon St. in New Orleans. Half-naked, well-endowed women, drunk dudes trying to pick up chicks which most of them get turned down. Whenever some of my female friends go to Bourbon, I and a few of my boys accompany them because dudes don't know how to keep their hands to themselves, which results in a N.O. style beatdown. :shades:

I enjoy the races converging on one street and all that liberal lingo but when shootings are starting to occur i will stop going. The past two weekends I have been there have been shootings, too bad too b/c Downtown was just about to be reborn, oh well onwards to suburbia!

Great thing about downtown, though, is if you don't go to Beale, you can go to South Main, or the Pinch. Hopefully they'll develop Overton Square and the university/HIghland Strip more as well.

Exactly. I think it's a fallacy to say Downtown is solely dependent on Beale Street. Regardless of what happens on Beale, I still see Downtown progressing and moving ahead.

I truly hope so but if you look at pretty much all of the new bldgs and development occurring downtown it seems to be drifting towards and around beale. The new Westin, FedexForum, Peabody Place, AutoZone Park all that was developed b/c of its proximity to Beale, so goes Beale so goes Downtown I believe.

Archived