Beale Street out of control

idlewild

I enjoy the races converging on one street and all that liberal lingo but when shootings are starting to occur i will stop going. The past two weekends I have been there have been shootings, too bad too b/c Downtown was just about to be reborn, oh well onwards to suburbia!

what shootings... i havent heard of any shootings at all.. what are you talking about??

citations??

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shootings? That's a load of crap. The news channels would have been all over that, especially the sensationalist ABC24. I for one feel as safe on Beale St. as I do walking from my car in the Wolfchase parking lot to the mall after dark. And at least Beale St. has a significant police presence. Not being a drinker, I go for the music, atmosphere, and good food as well as the surrounding activities (Forum, AZP, Orpheum, Peabody Place, etc). Yes, I have seen some rowdy drunks, some "business" women, bums, and possible pickpocket candidates, but overall, with the amount of people and police, I feel relatively safe. You have to be alert, but show me a big city nightlife venue where you don't have to watch your back. It's sad that many Memphians feel the need to look for the worst in every aspect of this great city. No city can ever be truly great until the people can rally around it, in spite of its flaws. Memphians also have to realize that the grass is not always greener on the other side--every city struggles with poverty, crime, educational woes, political corruption, and other troubles to some extent--some not as much as Memphis, but some worse. I'll get off my soapbox now.

Shootings? That's a load of crap. The news channels would have been all over that, especially the sensationalist ABC24. I for one feel as safe on Beale St. as I do walking from my car in the Wolfchase parking lot to the mall after dark. And at least Beale St. has a significant police presence. Not being a drinker, I go for the music, atmosphere, and good food as well as the surrounding activities (Forum, AZP, Orpheum, Peabody Place, etc). Yes, I have seen some rowdy drunks, some "business" women, bums, and possible pickpocket candidates, but overall, with the amount of people and police, I feel relatively safe. You have to be alert, but show me a big city nightlife venue where you don't have to watch your back. It's sad that many Memphians feel the need to look for the worst in every aspect of this great city. No city can ever be truly great until the people can rally around it, in spite of its flaws. Memphians also have to realize that the grass is not always greener on the other side--every city struggles with poverty, crime, educational woes, political corruption, and other troubles to some extent--some not as much as Memphis, but some worse. I'll get off my soapbox now.

I certainly agree every metropolitan city has it's flaws crime is not somehow isolated to memphis. The thing that really gets me is some people think there should never be a problem, never should anything go wrong, there should never be crime, and if any little thing or big thing goes wrong. It's time to look for another city or suburb. I have a question for people who think they can out run crime. When crime comes to suburbia will you move?

I truly hope so but if you look at pretty much all of the new bldgs and development occurring downtown it seems to be drifting towards and around beale. The new Westin, FedexForum, Peabody Place, AutoZone Park all that was developed b/c of its proximity to Beale, so goes Beale so goes Downtown I believe.

I think that was true when downtown resurgence was just starting, now I don't think Memphis depends on it anymore.

I haven't been to Beale in a couple of years to see what you guys are talking about but a similar phenomenon has been killing off Deep Ellum in Dallas. Clubs and bars have been closing as customers are choosing other entertainment districts in areas perceived to be safer. Of course, there are fewer alternatives to Beale in Memphis and I think that helps.

I certainly agree every metropolitan city has it's flaws crime is not somehow isolated to memphis. The thing that really gets me is some people think there should never be a problem, never should anything go wrong, there should never be crime, and if any little thing or big thing goes wrong. It's time to look for another city or suburb. I have a question for people who think they can out run crime. When crime comes to suburbia will you move?

Precisely. They left Frayser, and they're leaving Raleigh and Hickory Hill in droves. All suburban meccas in the '70's and '80's.

i was down there on Saturday night and heard gun shots and then we all started running. The paddywagons and cops on horses came out. I'm not some suburban housewife that doesn't get out, i get out more than you folks and i have seen it myself. It's scary down there on a Saturday night especially when the people wanding you to get on beale street don't ask you to empty your pockets when the beeping is going off.....yeah that's safe.....

i was down there on Saturday night and heard gun shots and then we all started running. The paddywagons and cops on horses came out. I'm not some suburban housewife that doesn't get out, i get out more than you folks and i have seen it myself. It's scary down there on a Saturday night especially when the people wanding you to get on beale street don't ask you to empty your pockets when the beeping is going off.....yeah that's safe.....

We should be more concerned with the crime situation in the rest of the city, just as you are with Beale. In the last 3 months my uncle has been robbed at gun point near St. Francis Hospital, and my grandparents have been burglarized in their East Memphis home. My evidence is purely anecdotal, but so are your gripes with Beale. I go to Beale every time I'm in town (about once a month) and personally I feel as safe there as just about anywhere in Memphis. The sheer number of police officers patrolling the area--in cars and on foot--make Beale one of the most idiotic places in Tennessee to commit a crime. Not to say crime doesn't exist but let's be rational about it.

I truly hope so but if you look at pretty much all of the new bldgs and development occurring downtown it seems to be drifting towards and around beale. The new Westin, FedexForum, Peabody Place, AutoZone Park all that was developed b/c of its proximity to Beale, so goes Beale so goes Downtown I believe.

Actually, now the new buildings are drifting toward South Main. The growth there is much greater than around Beale. And soon, the same boom will be drifting to the Pinch.

Beale is a great anchor. there seems to be some dispute how far it's fallen, it's easy to hear something; hopefully, it was something mistaken for a shot; it happens, but at least the police responded as if it were the worst case scenario. It really doesn't matter how far it's fallen. We should shoot for the safest it can reasonably be (no pun intended). and under that examination, any fall should at least raise your eyebrows and make us all a little more alert and proactive in purging crime from our midst. Tempered with some perspective and the reality that you're not going to have 0 perr cent crime. And I am very heartened to see the Residents for a Safer Downtown Memphis and the downtown police jumping on the issue on the front end. Hopefully we'll see results. I think it merits concern, but not pessimism. It's certainly not anywhere close to desperate or irretrievable. If you're truly concerned about it, write to RSDM, provide some reasonable suggestions for improvements. I'll drop them a line. I think that organization will make it clear to the responsible government officials how important it is to confront and resolve this before it gets to the desperate stage.

They only reason they wand is so that fools will feel safe, thinking that a safe street is one where all the pedestrians have been fully searched. I live downtown and I go to Beale all the time. There is no reason you shouldn't feel safe, unless you are inherently scared to be around a large group of blacks.

I was down there too. We heard the "they're shooting outside!" rumor while in a club. When we left, we asked a cop and he told us that was untrue.

yea, i havent' heard a report of a major incident on Beale in a long time. New Years Eve or 4th of July, of '05 i read that someoen got stabbed. But regardless of the number of black people (or white) drunken or otherwise, Beale Street has to be the safest public area in the city on a Saturday night, or any other night for that matter.

Another thing, the news, message boards, etc. report that there is crime going on somewhere, people are inclined to believe it, people tell other people, people see a large crowd of people on beale, and they figure from what they heard, there's nothing but criminal activity going on. Don't believe they hype. As another poster stated earlier, Beale STreet is the only tourist attractions that the locals support.

They only reason they wand is so that fools will feel safe, thinking that a safe street is one where all the pedestrians have been fully searched. I live downtown and I go to Beale all the time. There is no reason you shouldn't feel safe, unless you are inherently scared to be around a large group of blacks.

Exactly, I also go to beale quite often and never FEEL UNSAFE. Whoever came up with this FEEL SAFE THEORY is one of two things, extremly scared of Black People or FEEL UNSAFE just about every where they go that may be somewhat culturaly diverse. I really hope these people can stop hyping up non issues

Exactly, I also go to beale quite often and never FEEL UNSAFE. Whoever came up with this FEEL SAFE THEORY is one of two things, extremly scared of Black People or FEEL UNSAFE just about every where they go that may be somewhat culturaly diverse. I really hope these people can stop hyping up non issues

I think most white people in the surrounding area think that black=unsafe. Well, Northern whites are probably even worse. I've seen some yankee tourists get scared to death when a black man steps on the trolley. Most whites aren't used to being a minority and feel unsafe when they are. Sad, but true.

I think most white people in the surrounding area think that black=unsafe. Well, Northern whites are probably even worse. I've seen some yankee tourists get scared to death when a black man steps on the trolley. Most whites aren't used to being a minority and feel unsafe when they are. Sad, but true.

That is sad. :cry: It hurts to know that I may have scared some people all of the many times that I've boarded a trolley. :blink: I have noticed that when my friends and I are at the mall (or any other place with a lot of whites) that we get funny looks. Its not just Beale Street, thats just the way it is everywhere. We all are college graduates with careers. Its awful to know that in 2006 young blacks have a cloud of suspicion over our heads (for whatever reason?).

Having moved to Memphis in 1999, and always having lived downtown, I can say that downtown is certainly not dying as some in here claim (or hope). I am a single professional and most of my friends that fit this description live either in downtown or midtown. We usually do NOT go to Beale Street, there are other places to go. The Flying Saucer is the biggest local hangout and it can be completely full even during the week. You can also look at the rooftoop parties on Madison and particularly the Peabody at life outside of Beale.

Crticisim of downtown is needed, but some just enjoy bashing it, which is puzzling becuase there wouldn't be suburbs if it wasn't for Memphis.

• 2 weeks later...

That is sad. :cry: It hurts to know that I may have scared some people all of the many times that I've boarded a trolley. :blink: I have noticed that when my friends and I are at the mall (or any other place with a lot of whites) that we get funny looks. Its not just Beale Street, thats just the way it is everywhere. We all are college graduates with careers. Its awful to know that in 2006 young blacks have a cloud of suspicion over our heads (for whatever reason?).

I'm glad you scared them. Perhaps that'll convince them to move away. Next time shout "boo"! :rofl: The impact will be better if you also talk to yourself.

I lived in Memphis in the early 90s and loved Beale. I haven't been back in a long while, but think someday I might move back. It's great to read about how well the city is doing. The panhandlers were the big problem back then... and as you've said ... white folks who weren't used to being around black folks. I say, get used to it. And many do and are enriched for it. Or go home.

My problem is the panhandling.

You can't stop it because it is a first amendment right - panhandling is a form of free speech - but it paints an image of our city surrounding our tourist destination that this is a poor run down city.

We have been out to show people that the "homeless" who panhandle are not all that helpless and are often scaming people for money and living a life they choose.

www.street-people.com

The best thing to do is complain. If people ask for money and you tell them "no" and they move on, that is one thing. But if they start cursing at you or threating you, tell the police. They will bring them to the mental health center where they can get some treatment.

Archived