Beale Street out of control

idlewild

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 9 months later...

Well, I dont see it as the end of downtown...Downtown Memphis is growing imo. The more people that move down here, the better chance it has of getting "cleaned up" when and where neccessary because more residents will complain if they dont like it. More people = more attention given.

I don't think it's too out of control either, and certainly rap music is not the problem. I f you really want to look at it and what may cause some of the problems how about booze like, call a cab or big ass beer.I'm positive that has more to do with it than Rap. But blame all the drunk ass activity on rap if you want. Thats a cop out to the real problem, DRUNK ASS PEOPLE

Exactly. Rap music might annoy the daylights out of me, but that isnt the problem. Drunken dumbasses are the problem. Rap music doesnt make you act like a moron. Alcohol does. Ive never seen a rap album with a sticker that said "Do not listen to while pregnant. Warning, may cause you to revert to childlike state and act a fool."

That street belonged to the black folks first, and they made it what it is. They should get to enjoy its revival as well.

I agree. We all should get to enjoy it whether we are tourists or residents of this city, black, white, hispanic, asian, indian, etc.

That is sad. :cry: It hurts to know that I may have scared some people all of the many times that I've boarded a trolley. :blink: I have noticed that when my friends and I are at the mall (or any other place with a lot of whites) that we get funny looks. Its not just Beale Street, thats just the way it is everywhere. We all are college graduates with careers. Its awful to know that in 2006 young blacks have a cloud of suspicion over our heads (for whatever reason?).

That is unfortunate. While I may not intentionally drive through South Parkway, I am not intimidated or scared by being in a minority. Memphis is a majority black town. Dallas is majority hispanic. I am a skinny white guy. Ive been a minority in every city Ive lived in and I dont mind. We're all people. I care more about what youre doing in life and your personality and how you approach things than something so stupid as skin color.

... white folks who weren't used to being around black folks. I say, get used to it. And many do and are enriched for it. Or go home.

Once again. Color means squat, really. If youre a good, honest, approachable person, thats all that should matter. I dont fear color I fear attitudes. Id be the only caucasian on a trolley with a group of people different from me and talk their ears off if theyd talk back than sit in silence with a stone-faced a-hole who looked just like me. Racism takes away from your life, you really can be enriched by forgetting stereotypes and age-old b.s.

There is tons of parking downtown. Hardly ever do I see a full garage, and there are garages nearly every block. The cruising has gotten ridiculous. I don't mind the traffic so much as the complete disregard for all traffic laws and people on the street. The music is extremely loud (isn't there a noise ordinace?) and they run red lights, make left turns from the right lane, block intersections, etc. This is done directly in police view, but they do nothing about it.

Getting off my soapbox, I agree with this. However, it isnt just the downtowners. Running red lights, making left turns from the right lane, blocking intersections...sounds like I-40 and 240 everrrry day to me.

I park in the Peabody Tower Parking Garage as a resident of Gayoso House its required, which usually gets full on friday and saturday and they have to cut off parking and just let residents in. Most people unfamiliar with downtown will not want to park far away from their destination however.

I would guess that a lot of these negative aassumptiosn about Beale St are made by poster who havent' been to beale on a friday or saturday past 11.00pm in a long time or at all. There is too much traffic to run a red light, or make an illegal left. And I see police riding on bicycles going around giving tickets to people stuck in traffic not wearing seatbelts. For someone to suggest most police just turn a blind eye to downtown traffic is ridiculous.

And we all know what "thug element" means. These stereotypes kill me? What is a thug? someone that listens to rap music? wears baggy jeans? a durag? Or just a young black male? or all of the above?

I am reminded of a poster I saw in church. An older lady sharing a hymnal with a guy in baggy pants, spiked hair, multiple piercings. Same instance here. Who cares what they are wearing? Unless their shirt says "I Will Kill You" then who cares what theyre wearing, or skin color, or anything else? So baggy pants is a thug, spiked hair is an emo kid, khakis and polos must be a straightlaced golf addict who drinks Shiraz (sp) and a guy who wears pink must be gay. You cannot go by this stuff or you will lead a miserable existance.

i agree with tennreb, while i don't live downtown i am downtown almost every weekend or have been up until recently. A g/f of mine was cornered at the corner of Peabody Place/Third by Hooter's one night by a group of THUGS who tried to intimidate her and sexual harassed her. If it hadn't been for a group of fraternity guys leaving Beale Street, who knows what would have happened to her! There is definitely a criminal element that has creeped into Downtown, and the police seem to look the other way!

That is very unfortunate and Im sure it happens here. Im not blind to the fact this city has a load of problems. However I got a chuckle out of the "If it hadnt been for a group of fraternity guys..." They are usually the worst offenders for making sexual remarks at girls. But good for these guys for coming and helping in this instance. Sorry, I just got a chuckle out of that.

Beale St. is fine. Im glad we have a neighborhood safety committee doing something about it before it gets too bad. Glad youre trying to put a wrap on a cut instead of waiting and putting a band-aid on a severed limb. I think it will be just fine. It's our Bourbon St, our 6th Street. I for one enjoy going down there and having a drink. I dont dance and I dont creep crawl and troll, but its a good place to go with friends and have a drink. Who knows, if you smile, nod or talk to those "creepy trolley riding thugs" they might even talk back to you.

• 2 months later...

"Trolley Thugs". LOL Never seen them on the trolley, but I take this as sarcasm.

I have been to Beale several times since this thread began as late as 1-2 in the morning....seems pretty safe to me on all those occasions. The city is what you make it....if you make yourself a mark by getting drunk and stumbling around...well bad things can happen to you by your own actions or by those of others.

Again, I would define "thugs" by behavior....not apperance. Examples given: Frat boys can be thugs. Rednecks can be thugs. Preppie jocks etc. The term "thug" predates the racial overtones now attached to it. "Thug" by definition is someone who treats others roughly or violently by their actions.

I agree with your definition (somewhat) Rural, but I also think that almost always "thug" used in the context of Memphis has racial undertones. It could be thats just because Memphis is majoritiy black city, or not. Like "redneck", words like "thug" and "ghetto" are really used to describe exclusively one race. Also if we define thug by behavior, then one must actually observe thug behavior, rather just saying "beale st is full of thugs".

And going back to a previous poster, if cursing, yelling, talking to strangers, making rude comments. makes someone a thug...then beale street is almost always full of thugs, however, that behavior is better attributed to alcohol rather than "thug mentality". You don't go into a bar and expect Sunday School, and Beale St is basically that, a bar.

I don't think Beale ST. is out of control. My wife and I were down there two weekends ago whlile we were visiting Memphis. We were very impressed and did not want to leave....People who are uncomfortable with going to Beale St. are that way for one reason, and we all know what that reason is..., but that's their problem, and those types of feelings will be done away with with just one or two more generations. One thing that these younger generations have on us is that they are color blind, and I believe that is a wonderful thing....

Archived