When will I-69 be completed?

idlewild

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When will I-69, I-269 and I-22 be completed...i have heard of these for a while now but don't really see anything happening with any of these...what's the deal?

I think I read they're starting to put up signs in Mississippi. I 269 still needs to complete the eastern portion that connects the northern and southern legs. Then it will be essentially completed except for the renaming. for the entire 69 to get complete, from Canada to Texas, will take upwards of 15 years. Hopefully less for the Tennessee portion. But you'd think it'd take as long (at least) as it took to put up Paul Barrett Pkwy, Nonconnah Pkwy, and the eastern leg of 269.

Don't know about 22, I seem to recall it's essentially complete in one state -- either MS or AL, but not close to completion in the other?

Interstate projects, from idea to completion can take 20-30 years. It can take up to 5 years to plan a route. At least that feels like how long it's taken to get a route down for 69. Remember the b!tching about where it would go in Memphis? that took a couple years right there before the wised up and went with both 69 and 269.

I-69 between Tunica and Hernando opens Oct. 3rd [Business Journal]. To my knowledge, they're still figuring out their options on the route between Memphis and Dyersburg.

Funding for preliminary engineering for I-269 between TN 385 and the Mississippi state line is included in TDOT's 2007 budget. Mississippi is pursuing I-269 between the Tennessee state line and Hernando, but I don't know where they're at in the process.

I-22 is essentially complete in Mississippi (although improvements are needed in New Albany), and Alabama is complete except for the segment in Birmingham metro. Tennessee has not endorsed any route for I-22 in Shelby County. I-22 could end at I-269 for several decades and never enter Memphis city limits, or they could realign it and convert the Nonconnah into I-22 (doubtful).

In my opinion, I-22 should converge with I-269 and follow it up through Collierville, Eads, Arlington and Millington. After Millington, I think they should build a new bridge across the Mississippi and connect with the new I-555 going to Jonesboro. Truck traffic is predicted to grow 70% in the next 15 years. Yikes. That route's entirely my dreams though. :thumbsup:

I-69 between Tunica and Hernando opens Oct. 3rd [Business Journal]. To my knowledge, they're still figuring out their options on the route between Memphis and Dyersburg.

Funding for preliminary engineering for I-269 between TN 385 and the Mississippi state line is included in TDOT's 2007 budget. Mississippi is pursuing I-269 between the Tennessee state line and Hernando, but I don't know where they're at in the process.

I-22 is essentially complete in Mississippi (although improvements are needed in New Albany), and Alabama is complete except for the segment in Birmingham metro. Tennessee has not endorsed any route for I-22 in Shelby County. I-22 could end at I-269 for several decades and never enter Memphis city limits, or they could realign it and convert the Nonconnah into I-22 (doubtful).

In my opinion, I-22 should converge with I-269 and follow it up through Collierville, Eads, Arlington and Millington. After Millington, I think they should build a new bridge across the Mississippi and connect with the new I-555 going to Jonesboro. Truck traffic is predicted to grow 70% in the next 15 years. Yikes. That route's entirely my dreams though. :thumbsup:

Yeah, a couple bridges are necessary. As it stands, congestion will be insane when 22 gets completed. And they're thinking of upgrading US 72 in Mississippi and Bama. With that, there would be three spurs east (40, 22, and future 72), and one west (40). That means a bottleneck in West Memphis. There should be a spur between Memphis and KC at some point.

I-69 from Henderson, KY to Dyersburg, TN should be completed in 5-6 years. Most of the work in KY is just upgrading the West KY Parkway, Purchase Parkway, and associated feeder/support roads to meet interstate standards (which is underway). In Tennessee two by-passes (with interchanges) have to be built on the current US 51 (future I-69) around Union City and Troy in Obion County; along with the associated upgrading of US 51 and its feeder/support roads.

Most of this section of I-69 really is upgrading current road corridors (WKP, Purchase, US 51) and putting up new placards, not building new road surface (as in Indiana), which means I-69 will move along faster and be cheaper for us here in Tennessee (and for folks in KY).

As for the completion of I-69 corridor in Tennessee I would guess it will be 10-15 years before it is completed, by which time most of other states will have also gotten their sections completed or underway (hopefully).

Dyersburg stuggling? No that is not accurate. It may not be, as of right now, growing very fast in terms of population growth; but as far as economically Dyersburg and Dyer County are doing VERY well currently. The city and county both have outstanding governance IMO. The city and county has retained its industrial base very well, and in fact has steadily increasing it. Folks from all its neighboring counties, as well as from Missouri work in the city/county.

SNK Steering just announced it is going to bring about 150 jobs to the city via their aquiring the city's brand new spec building. As a result the city and county are already moving on starting their next spec building. So as you can tell they are resting on their laurels.

Look with the coming of I-69 and the fruition of the Cates Landing Riverport and Industrial park for Dyersburg's population and commercial growth to pick up along with its industrial growth.

Note: If folks just looked at the mall area then they might think the city was struggling, but you have to remember it's a city of 17K.....with a enclosed mall. Thats pretty rare.

Thanks I try... :D could it be possible for dyersburg to be a distant suburb to Memphis once I-69 gets built?

Nope. Memphis is roughly 90 miles away from Dyersburg and if you have ever travled US 51 you will see that once you leave Covington their is a lot of territory north of Memphis before you reach Dyersburg.

I do think that Dyersburg will become seen as the "3rd" city of West Tennessee behind Memphis and Jackson due to the growth that it will experience do to I-69 and the riverport.

• 2 weeks later...

New Slogan: Don't Mess With Dyersburg!

69/269 is coming along reasonably well. When we land on rwy. 27 in Memphis, you can see the work where the 385/269 interchange will be and there has been a fair amount of paving work north of Hwy. 72. When we arrivefrom the northeast, we come across the I-40/I-269 interchange (currently Paul Barrett Pkwy.) and crews have finished a lot of grading work south of I-40 and Hwy. 64 and the 269/Airline Road interchange appears to be almost complete.

In DeSoto Co., 269 is completely graded and partially paved between I-55 and Hwy. 61. The next big phase is connecting I-55 to I-269 in eastern DeSoto and Marshall Co. south of Collierville.

Their opening "I-69" tomorrow in Desoto and Tunica counties. But don't get too excited its only in mississippi and isn't officially I-69 yet its MS-304

Not true! It is I-69 as of today. The portion heading east from 55 to Bill Morris/Collierville area will be finished next month. They will both be posted with interstate signs.

So...

• I-269 between Hernando and Collierville not started. Will begin in approx. 3 years

• I-269 between Collierville and Arlington under construction

• I-269 between Arlington and Millington completed, but signed TN-385

• I-69 between Hernando and Tunica completed and signed (can someone confirm it's signed I-69 and not MS-304?)

So...
  • I-269 between Hernando and Collierville not started. Will begin in approx. 3 years

• I-269 between Collierville and Arlington under construction

• I-269 between Arlington and Millington completed, but signed TN-385

• I-69 between Hernando and Tunica completed and signed (can someone confirm it's signed I-69 and not MS-304?)

Thanks for the breakdown. So when completed, will I-269 form an outer ring to I-240?

wow......you mean to tell me that I-69/I-269 will be finished from Collierville to Tunica within the month?

That is what the news Channel 5 said last night. They was even driving on I-69. That is what was said!

Ok, just read MDOT and they said the second section to Old Mississippi 304 will be open next month. Wherever that is?

That is what the news Channel 5 said last night. They was even driving on I-69. That is what was said!

Ok, just read MDOT and they said the second section to Old Mississippi 304 will be open next month. Wherever that is?

Yes! I-269 will be an outer beltway on a 20-30 mile radius from downtown Memphis. Good news to most, bad news to some who say Cincinnati's outer beltway encouraged sprawl... <_<

If you look at GoogleEarth, about 2 miles east of Hwy. 61 (10 miles west of I-55), the freeway splits. You can continue straight and be on MS-304, or you can merge left and continue on I-69 South on a bypass around Banks. So technically -- *technically* -- we're getting 2 new freeways, albeit one is less than 2 miles long.

Yes! I-269 will be an outer beltway on a 20-30 mile radius from downtown Memphis. Good news to most, bad news to some who say Cincinnati's outer beltway encouraged sprawl... <_<

If you look at GoogleEarth, about 2 miles east of Hwy. 61 (10 miles west of I-55), the freeway splits. You can continue straight and be on MS-304, or you can merge left and continue on I-69 South on a bypass around Banks. So technically -- *technically* -- we're getting 2 new freeways, albeit one is less than 2 miles long.

HOpefully we can work on getting an Arkansas section, so we get more river crossings and the Arkansas portion of the metro is assimilated more to the rest of the region.

HOpefully we can work on getting an Arkansas section, so we get more river crossings and the Arkansas portion of the metro is assimilated more to the rest of the region.

If you look at a map, the northern terminus of I-269 in Millington lines up nicely with the southern terminus of I-555 in Crittendon County, AR. I'd like to see those two linked with a Mississippi River crossing.

Archived