When will I-69 be completed?

idlewild

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I-69 between Tunica and Hernando opens Oct. 3rd [Business Journal]. To my knowledge, they're still figuring out their options on the route between Memphis and Dyersburg.

Funding for preliminary engineering for I-269 between TN 385 and the Mississippi state line is included in TDOT's 2007 budget. Mississippi is pursuing I-269 between the Tennessee state line and Hernando, but I don't know where they're at in the process.

I-22 is essentially complete in Mississippi (although improvements are needed in New Albany), and Alabama is complete except for the segment in Birmingham metro. Tennessee has not endorsed any route for I-22 in Shelby County. I-22 could end at I-269 for several decades and never enter Memphis city limits, or they could realign it and convert the Nonconnah into I-22 (doubtful).

In my opinion, I-22 should converge with I-269 and follow it up through Collierville, Eads, Arlington and Millington. After Millington, I think they should build a new bridge across the Mississippi and connect with the new I-555 going to Jonesboro. Truck traffic is predicted to grow 70% in the next 15 years. Yikes. That route's entirely my dreams though. :thumbsup:

• 1 year later...

@highriser - I have merged your thread with this older thread on the topic, and it should answer a lot of your questions. :)

If you click here it will take you to the TDOT page that outlines each segment of the I-69 project in TN along with an overview. I think you will find it useful.

I believe the Fulton to Dyersburg section should begin as soon as the property acquistion and deed work is finished, as the state cannot begin any construction work until every piece of property in that section has had its legal transfer procedures completed. From what I've heard and read it is hoped that work can begin this fall or next spring on the first segment, with others segments to begin at a later date. It was thought construction might have begun last fall, but delays in finalizing the transfer of property have delayed the start of the project for the segment between Fulton and Dyersburg.

Archived