RI General Election | Nov. 7, 2006

Cotuit

For RI, I would like to see us spend a little more now with hopes that it will draw more to the local economy. Will it? I don't know, thats a gamble. If we save our money instead, and don't invest in improvements, will people still come here to spend? Again, I don't know. But as a resident, I'd rather see the place look and feel up to date.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is an idiotic statement.

By the exact same token, citys, states, and nations issue bonds to INVEST in their infrastructure and people, to attract new business, development, and jobs. They are paid back by increases in economic activity, and in turn, taxes.

If we (State GOV) need to keep asking at every election for more money from the people to pay for stuff that we own for which we have neglected to fund routine repairs and maintainance, and this includes ROADS and other INFRASTRUCTURE, than there's a serious problem with the whole budget process and of course we're getting screwed by the inside guys. And the labor unions of course, which goes without saying. Is the huge deficit really any surprise when its known that the State GOV employs more people than any company based in Rhode Island? Its true, spending is way out of control and we need to make our government efficient and somewhat proportional to the size of our state.

What is the return on investment for the big TRANSPORTATION bond issue which mysteriously keeps coming back every election year asking for more BIG BUCKS? This is our Big Dig whether anyone can see through the trees or not. Only in Rhode Island!

Voters here aren't very well informed, many don't know how to think for themselves or form opinions.

That's not HOT.

[/RANT]

Archived