RI General Election | Nov. 7, 2006

Cotuit

A question for the political junkees here who've been in the state for a while...

Exactly why is Lincoln Chafee a Republican at all rather than a moderate Democrat? His family is worshiped, he is personally liked, and many of his viewpoints line up with the Democratic Party. He doesn't seem far from, say, a Joseph Lieberman.

Rather than possibly winning or losing this campaign by, say, 4 percentage points, if he were to switch parties, I'm sure he'd win in a landslide.

What are the historical issues binding him to the GOP?

- Garris

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A question for the political junkees here who've been in the state for a while...

Exactly why is Lincoln Chafee a Republican at all rather than a moderate Democrat? His family is worshiped, he is personally liked, and many of his viewpoints line up with the Democratic Party. He doesn't seem far from, say, a Joseph Lieberman.

Rather than possibly winning or losing this campaign by, say, 4 percentage points, if he were to switch parties, I'm sure he'd win in a landslide.

What are the historical issues binding him to the GOP?

- Garris

This is the biggest reason he is a republican:

http://bioguide.congress.gov/scripts/biodi...l?index=c000269

I think Chaffee would do a better job but at the same time I dont know many people that can say the republican party is doing a good job. In my mind I dont care if Sheldon Whitehouse is borderline braindead becasue not voting republican in Nov will make changes for this entire country and not just RI. Will they be good changes? who the hell knows but I can tell you I dont like our current direction as a country.

This is the biggest reason he is a republican:

http://bioguide.congress.gov/scripts/biodi...l?index=c000269

I think Chaffee would do a better job but at the same time I dont know many people that can say the republican party is doing a good job. In my mind I dont care if Sheldon Whitehouse is borderline braindead becasue not voting republican in Nov will make changes for this entire country and not just RI. Will they be good changes? who the hell knows but I can tell you I dont like our current direction as a country.

It'll take a lot of people NOT voting Republican for those changes to amount to anything.

It's still a Republican Presidency, and even after these elections, chances are very good that it will still be a Republican Congress. With that in mind, it might be a wise thing for Rhode Island to continue to have at least one Republican representing us in the Senate. Especially a Republican as palatable as Mr. Chafee. :whistling:

• 2 weeks later...

so i've been going over the sample ballot for the election (which are now available on the secretary of state's website, by the way). i noticed a whole section of providence-specific questions (my ballot is 6 pages long!).

they're all for amendments to the providence home rule charter. anyone have any idea where i can find this to read over it and actually figure out what the amendments would change? some of the questions are easy to figure out, but others are not.

so i've been going over the sample ballot for the election (which are now available on the secretary of state's website, by the way). i noticed a whole section of providence-specific questions (my ballot is 6 pages long!).

they're all for amendments to the providence home rule charter. anyone have any idea where i can find this to read over it and actually figure out what the amendments would change? some of the questions are easy to figure out, but others are not.

The following are questions i asked about the providence specific questions with yossarian's answers.

Question 10 - it says starting 2011, does that mean cicilline and council member won't be able to run for a terms beyond the specified limit or will they be "grandfathered" in and be able to run for another term after? i'm in favor of term limits, i'm just curious about that one.

Archived