RI General Election | Nov. 7, 2006

Cotuit

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I won't exactly call myself a Republican because A) I'm not old enough to vote and B) I think they've been too liberal lately.

*Dons flame-resistant suit*

But anyways, I don't think anyone's really happy with Chafee. When his campaign called and asked yesterday if my dad would be voting for him, he said, "It turns my stomach, but unfortunately I have to." My history teacher from last year did the exact same thing.

Yes, I was a Laffey supporter. :lol:

so having read all that stuff against chafee... why should i vote for whitehouse?

i vote based on issues, not party lines. whitehouse's whole platform seems to be "i'm a democrat, not a republican. we must get republicans out of the senate". that's not much of a platform. it's even less of a platform than healey's "i'm running for lieutenant governor so i can do away with the position".

yeah... roger williams it is.

so having read all that stuff against chafee... why should i vote for whitehouse?

i vote based on issues, not party lines. whitehouse's whole platform seems to be "i'm a democrat, not a republican. we must get republicans out of the senate". that's not much of a platform. it's even less of a platform than healey's "i'm running for lieutenant governor so i can do away with the position".

i've decided that i don't like either candidate, so i'm not voting for the senate race. i'm leaving that section blank. whitehouse doesn't mention any real issues in his campaign. i don't vote for people who don't have views on the issues. i know chafee's views, he's been senator, but i don't like that he's tied to the republican party. so i'm abstaining from this one, which does not mean i won't vote for every other position.

So you vote on issues, fair enough, which issues matter to you?

Like it or not, control of the Senate is going to be far more determinative of how those issues are resolved, than Linc or Sheldon's personal beleifs. I can understand a general tendancy not to vote simply on party lines, but at the same time, one cannot pretend that party does not matter. I almost never vote a straight ticket, and if the dems already had 5 seat majority I would consider Chaffee. But that is not the world we live in. Sending Linc back to the Senate all but ensures that it stays in Republican control. For me that is a calamity, for you maybe not.

As to the candidates themselves:

Whitehouse's key issues are 1) Iraq (time table and firing of Rumsfeld) 2) Medicare (fix the prescription drug plan by elimating the donut hole and allowing direct negotiation with drug companies on price) and 3) strengthening Social Security (primarily by increasing the limit on withholding).

What in Linc's platform do you find attractive?

nothing will get done even if the democrats take control of the senate. do you really believe that there will be an investigation into the war? it's not a big deal to me if they don't regain control.

as for the issues, the biggest one for me is stem cell research, which chafee has said he's in favor of, and something i believe can really turn the economy around (before some other country beats us to the punch). i'd like to see the repeal of the patriot act, the defense of marriage act, and some change in the dmca, none of which will happen even if it was a 100% democratic congress.

i'm actually somewhat against raising the minimum wage as it is not a smart economic move. it has been proven that there are people who are willing to work for the current minimum wage and many who are willing to work for less than it. they may not be here legally, but they do prove to be an essential part of our country's economy and paying them more would probably hurt their employers, which tend to be farmers, more than it would help the workers.

One thing I worry about with Whitehouse is that he will just be another dem. pawn and that the democrats won't do anything for the State of RI with him there. He just seems a little wishy-washy to me, someone who isn't going to take a stand and fight for RIers. That said, I do think that a democratic senate is important. It means nothing gets done for the next two years but that's better than the current republican agenda being pushed more. My actual preference is for democratic control of the exectutive branch, republican control of the legislative, and a judicial branch that is bipartisan but libertarian. I think we had a lot of this in the last six years of the Clinton administration which I hope I won't look back on as the only time in my voting life I was at all happy with the government.

In 2008 I think I will be voting for Kodos

i'm actually somewhat against raising the minimum wage as it is not a smart economic move. it has been proven that there are people who are willing to work for the current minimum wage and many who are willing to work for less than it. they may not be here legally, but they do prove to be an essential part of our country's economy and paying them more would probably hurt their employers, which tend to be farmers, more than it would help the workers.

Minimum wage is already spomething like 7.45, Some people get out of college and do social work for about 9-10 dollars an hour, I mean it just doesn't make sense to say make a hamburger or put clothes away without an education and make 7.45, or do social work at 9-10 dollars.

I ended up only voting on Question 1- No, and yes on 2,5,6,9

Minimum wage is already spomething like 7.45, Some people get out of college and do social work for about 9-10 dollars an hour, I mean it just doesn't make sense to say make a hamburger or put clothes away without an education and make 7.45, or do social work at 9-10 dollars.

I ended up only voting on Question 1- No, and yes on 2,5,6,9

Archived