Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BHCav

St. Marks Developement

8 posts in this topic

It does sound interesting and something I'd drive down to on a semi-regular basis to enjoy. It seems like something to take out of town visitors to enjoy especially those that like outdoorsy type of stuff.

It should be interesting to read and hear the comments from the locals. Tally NIMBY's pale in comparison and ignorance to those in Wakulla based on what I've seen in the past.

It does sound interesting and something I'd drive down to on a semi-regular basis to enjoy. It seems like something to take out of town visitors to enjoy especially those that like outdoorsy type of stuff.

It should be interesting to read and hear the comments from the locals. Tally NIMBY's pale in comparison and ignorance to those in Wakulla based on what I've seen in the past.

St. Marks is the 3rd or 4th town that has existed at the mouth of the Wakulla and St. Marks rivers in recent history. The others were wiped out by hurricanes. An interesting ramble is to cross the river at the site of the former Poseys bar. The Florida Trail follows an old rail line ROW here and passes the site of Port Leon, which according to newpapers in the archives, had 8 hotels, 2 banks, and 11 houses of ill repute (I was going to use another word here but didn't want to offend our moderator). Now all that's left are a few stone foundations, the remains of a pier, and an abandoned firetower which is fun to climb on.

Building at the coast is a stupid idea. Sure the developers make long money in the short term, but hurricanes happen and the citizens end up paying the cost, not the developers who are long gone, sipping single malt scotch in their sky boxes.

As much as I love the idea of a boardwalk area to go to for entertainment purposes, Suwannee's got a good point. St. Marks has one of the worst potential storm surges, not just in Florida, the U.S., but THE WORLD.... 36 feet in a Cat. 5!!

Capital Area Storm Surge Map

Check out these photos from Hurricane Dennis... which produced Cat. 2 - 3 surge along our coast even though it made landfall 250 miles west of here!

The only logical and legal (per building code) thing to do would be to build it all up on stilts. That would be pretty silly looking.

History tells us that this is a dangerous place to build... Yet we build refineries, power plants, and other critical infrastructure here.

As if a Cat 1 alone isn't enough to rip down trees and power lines in Tallahassee, imagine the long-term damage a Cat 4 or 5 storm surge will do on Purdom power plant.

Oh, and don't be fooled. The storm surge doesn't magically stop at the Leon County line like the map suggests. They simply didn't have funding in the past to model up that far. A new map in the works will show Cat 4 and 5 storm surge all the way up through Woodville almost to Capital Circle Southeast. Another big surprise will the surge up into the Chaires, Capitola and Lake Lafeyette areas when the St. Marks River backs up.

I live at the end of Buck Lake road right near Capitola. I was in Washington State when Dennis came through but we were told by neighbors upon return that Capitola Road just Northeast of Capitola was flooded in many areas as that is quite a swampy place just off the road. Even when we came back a week after the storm, the water level almost met the road for another week or so before it finally drained off. Does anyone know why this area is so flood prone?

I ended up having an intersesting chat today with someone who was involved with the condemnation of Poseys former location. The story is that Posey's had a structural engineer in to evaluate the place after the storm and got a OK, but when the Wakulla BI showed up, they condemmed the place. Now a big developer is turning it into condo's. Makes you wonder.

I live at the end of Buck Lake road right near Capitola. I was in Washington State when Dennis came through but we were told by neighbors upon return that Capitola Road just Northeast of Capitola was flooded in many areas as that is quite a swampy place just off the road. Even when we came back a week after the storm, the water level almost met the road for another week or so before it finally drained off. Does anyone know why this area is so flood prone?

A topo map will give you a good clue. It's called "bottom" land. LIke lots of other spots in the county, that swampy place is what's left of a former lake. There are a couple of other places near Chaires that are the same sort of deal. Lafayette Oaks got flooded a few years ago with runoff from the Fleischman plantation. Of course, the Mettlers sold that bottom land to the county as part of the park so now it's someone elses (our) problem.

As a hurricane geek and weather junkie, I'm well aware about the power of hurricanes and the storm surges on St. Marks and even up into Leon County. That said, I'd still think a boardwalk along the St. Marks is a good idea. Remember we are talking just a boardwalk here and not the Taj Mahal. :)

I was sad to see Posey's go and hate the fact a condo is replacing it.