Greenville Visitors Guides

RestedTraveler

I saw this article in the Greenville News about Michelin teaming up with the Greenville CVB to produce the 2007 Greenville & Upcountry Vistitors Guide.

I'm curious as to what's actually being produced here.

There are at least two annual visitors guides that I know of:

Is this new publication replacing both of these? I have the Michelin Guide to Greenville that had been produced previously for Furman University. It's an excellent publication, but it's a few years old and could be updated. If this new guide continues on with the same format, it will no doubt be an excellent resource for locals and visitors alike.

In addition to this, there is a new guide being published quarterly:

• "Atmosphere"

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought that the "Michelin Guide to Greenville and the Upcountry" was going to be similar to the city guides they have created for other cities. The cities they currently have guides for is an exclusive group, so I thought it was pretty cool that they were also making one for Greenville. I assumed that it would be a completely new guide with updated information. Perhaps I misinterpreted the article, though.

It's going to be a free publication, given away at:

"The Michelin division will produce the 2007 Greenville & Upcountry Visitors Guide, to be released in April, in its first-ever partnership with a CVB. The guide will be available at the CVB visitor's office, the Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport, the South Carolina welcome centers, State Park visitor centers and some retail establishments."

Michelin has already produced a smaller guide to Greenville, similar to yet very different from their typical publications. I bought a copy for around $5.00 at the Furman Bookstore when I first moved into the area. It sounds as though this will pick up where that one left off and *perhaps* evolve into one of their regular travel publications once this three-year contract is up?

I still have my copy of that previous guide as well. I was disappointed when no updated editions were released, because the level of quality is very professional and attractive. Will this replace the Discover Upcountry SC guide? If so, I have no problem at all with that. Those are nice guides, but not on the same level, in my opinion. Having a flashy guide to Greenville and the Upstate at all of the Welcome Centers will be awesome!

Right now, I am holding my copy in my hands and looking through it for the first time in over a year. It is extremely professional! The price printed on the back is $4.95. This publication was mostly used to attract prospective students to Furman, apparently, since it has lots of valuable info about the university as well as the Greenville and Upstate area. The smallish size is perfect for such a guide, but I wouldn't mind a larger version either. :D

BTW, RT, did you notice what is missing in the photo on the front cover? :lol:

BTW, RT, did you notice what is missing in the photo on the front cover? :lol:

I can't seem to find mine now. It had been in my guest room on the night stand with the other visitor's guides, but it seems that one our last few visitors has absconded with it.

As for the new "Upstate Atmosphere," their web site is http://www.upstateatmosphere.com/.

Additionally, a local advertising/marketing firm is getting ready to produce yet another visitor's guide as they've contacted me regarding contribution of some photos.

With this many different visitor's guides, one would think that tourism is definitely on the rise. It's nice to see the competition, but I think I'd rather just see all of them combine their efforts to contribute to one single amazing publication that represents Greenville.

I was looking in a few hotels a couple months back for some friends who will be coming in from out of town. I paused to look at the brochure rack at each one, and I noticed that most of the brochures were actually for attractions in NC, Atlanta, Charlotte, Charleston, and MB. Now I understand that these are the "touristy" areas, but it would have been nice to see brochures of the upstate! I could probably come up with a list of a hundred things they could have brochures for, right in our back yard. Paris Mtn, Falls Park, The Zoo, Roper MTn Science, Center, Ceaser's Head, Table Rock, Lake Hartwell, Jocassee, Waterfalls, etc, etc. This would at least alert our visitors to some of the things around here to do, instead of promoting other cities.

Those other cities are capitalizing on the large influx of foreign and first-time visitors to the region. Greenville is a hub for business conferences and seminars, and these tourist locations are on top of their promotions. The Upstate and Greenville in particular do a great job of marketing itself, but one usually finds material at specialized visitor centers instead of hotels. Hopefully we can add a few catchy brochures in every local and regional hotel. The new guides to Greenville would also be excellent publicity in such places. Many travelers stop in Greenville without ever really exploring the city in depth. Fortunately that is changing every year. :shades:

Archived