Downtown retail

krazeeboi

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Technically now that Richland Mall changed names to Midtown at Forest acres.....Columbia only has two malls....Dutch Square doesnt count....sorry! Thats pretty bad.....for a city that has over 700,000 in the metro area.....then again Greenville only has one mall and has a huge metro population also.....

Technically now that Richland Mall changed names to Midtown at Forest acres.....Columbia only has two malls....Dutch Square doesnt count....sorry! Thats pretty bad.....for a city that has over 700,000 in the metro area.....then again Greenville only has one mall and has a huge metro population also.....

But malls are, like, soo last decade. We are on the cutting edge! :)

Malls are so last decade but every city needs atleast 3 good Malls. Though it seems as strip malls are now out pacing malls

I hate strip malls! The only reason they are built is because they are CHEAP! They destroy acre after acre of forest land, create the ugly and hot open parking lots, add run-off water to the streams and rivers and what is worse you are forced to drive from store to store wasting gasoline; but they are CHEAP to build so we are probably stuck with them.

............................................................................. :angry:

I like the strip malls like Parkland Plaza. The walkways are covered, so you don't have to drive from store to store, unless you are lazy. Parkland Plaza was one of the first Malls in Columbia. I wish the Parkland Plaza Pharmacy was still there with its huge glass windows. I loved shopping there. It was like a general store.

It would be good to see more and more retail locate to the Vista. I wonder how American Apparel has been doing?

For what its worth, I pass by it frequently and have NOT noticed significant numbers of people inside, entering or exiting. I suspect that their clothes, like their shiny gold and silver leotards :rofl:, may appeal to many people. Fashion and retail sales are not expertise however so I'm hopefully incorrect. I feel like I should buy something from them though as I'd like to see that part of Lady street continue to grow.

I like the strip malls like Parkland Plaza. The walkways are covered, so you don't have to drive from store to store, unless you are lazy. Parkland Plaza was one of the first Malls in Columbia. I wish the Parkland Plaza Pharmacy was still there with its huge glass windows. I loved shopping there. It was like a general store.

You call Parkland Plaza a mall? wow....

You call Parkland Plaza a mall? wow....

Ummm...You know, technically, a strip mall is a mall.

For a little history, Parkland Plaz and Richland Mall were both called malls well past the opening of the newer style of enclosed mall. Richlan mall used to be nothing more than two strip malls caing each other across a central walkway with White's at one end and the other end open. There were some architectural thingies (can't recall the technical term right now) spanning across the central walkway. I vaguely recall them eventually putting some sorts of covering over parts of the walkway so you couldn't get wet.

I've lived a few places where the first shopping malls were places like Parkland Plaza.

And, thanks, Bry. You saved me a few keystrokes.

I personally hate going to large suburban malls and only go if I have a list of things I can't get elsewhere. But when I go, I'm always surprised to see so many people who go there to hang out. I realize that it's the indoor climate I don't like about it. If the roofs were taken off and the whole thing transplanted to downtown, there's theoretically not much difference to European-style pedestrian streets (Boston has a few), which I love going to without specific errands as an excuse to go. A place to go for a walk, push a stroller, stop at an outdoor caf

I personally hate going to large suburban malls and only go if I have a list of things I can't get elsewhere. But when I go, I'm always surprised to see so many people who go there to hang out. I realize that it's the indoor climate I don't like about it. If the roofs were taken off and the whole thing transplanted to downtown, there's theoretically not much difference to European-style pedestrian streets (Boston has a few), which I love going to without specific errands as an excuse to go. A place to go for a walk, push a stroller, stop at an outdoor caf

Can a large developer please buy up a couple of large blocks in downtown Cola and criss-cross them with pedestrian streets with retail stores like those you find in an indoor mall (both mom-and-pop and chains)? Deep overhangs in front of the stores would be a good compromise for battling the elements keeping people in the shade or out of the rain if necessary. Put apartments and offices upstairs. It's a great place to live without the traffic noise, as long as you don't have to walk too far from your car with groceries, and parking isn't too problematic. But that could be solved with underground parking for residents.

I think that^ is what they're trying to do with Midtown at Forest Acres. Although its not in DT, it's pretty close to it.

Archived