DEMOLISHED: Cranston Trolley Barn

matt

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, I'm driving home tonight on Rt-10 and I see black smoke.  So sad to see it was coming from the trolley barn at Garfield and Cranston streets. 

What gives?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Paolino probably set it himself...oh I hope its not bad...

a new walmart is no laughing matter.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Were all just kidding, but unlike some parts of the country we don't try to prevent Walmart from opening a store in our communities. We welcome them. And the Carolina Panthers are going to have to do much better this year than last yr if they want to be the champs :D

Ummm... I finally made my way into the Trolley Barn this past Friday. There is nothing but space in there. Nothing flammable. No piles of garbage, just cement and brick. Some wood, but not much. Maybe they fired up the boiler? Maybe some kids made a campfire, but I dont know out of what. Empty spray paint cans?

So sad. I wanted to go back, too. That place looks bad from the outside, but inside it seems really really sound. The girders are in great shape and so is the mortar in the bricks. Some of the cranes are still in there and the fire doors are immense, like 18 feet tall and clad in tin. One part of the roof came in, but the main structure is intact. And there's not an intense pigeon infestation.

By the way, the door to the basement was wide open. I didnt break in. The construction fence was open too, and it was 4:00 on a Friday. It was so easy to get in, I am sure anyone else could and would have as well. Coupled with the suspicious fire at the Fruit Warehouse, and nefarious motives notwithstanding, do we have an arsonist on the loose?

The fire is suspicous and Paolino is already saying" its sad but i think unfortunately we're gonna have to tear it down."

Can you say "fishy?" because I say "investigate."

Where is this place? I need to go photograph it. BTW is it near the Cranston Armory because I have been planning to photo that too?

Where is this place? I need to go photograph it. BTW is it near the Cranston Armory because I have been planning to photo that too?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's the same bus line, I think the 30, Cranston Street to Brewery Parkade. The barn is just passed the Route 10 overpass.

How far is it from downtown? Could I/would I want to walk there?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You could. I'd take the bus out, then see how you feel about walking back. Make sure you check the schedule, I think it's one of those every half hour, or every 45 minnute buses. :rolleyes:

Its off Route 10... you can see it from the highway. You loop around and get off at the (ugh) Loew's center and take a right at the end of the ramp. It's Cranston street, pretty far from Downtown's core. Here are my photos: http://www.artinruins.com/arch/decay/trolleybarn/

Mapquest or Google it... Corner of Washington and Lincoln Ave, about a mile and a half out of the city from the Armory (corner of Dexter and Cranston Street). Here's a photo... it the big thing in the middle.

trolley.jpg

I just drove by on my way in to work, and it doesn't look like the damage is too extensive. Some of the roof is a little charred, but for the most part it looks the same from Rt-10 as it has as long as I've known it.

It really is a cool looking building. J, after seeing your page on it, I have such a respect for its history. I'd love to see this property put to good use, and I don't mean walmart.

Were all just kidding, but unlike some parts of the country we don't try to prevent Walmart from opening a store in our communities. We welcome them. And the Carolina Panthers are going to have to do much better this year than last yr if they want to be the champs

Oh we hate WalMart up here. Check out this thread about a WalMart coming to Providence's Charles neighbourhood, on the edge of downtown. WalMart has bent a little to the demands of city planning, though I don't think they demanded enough, and there is a concentration of lower income residents that have little or no retail alternatives nearby, they have to leave the city, many by inconvenient bus, to shop at a WalMart, KMart, Target or similarly priced store now. So though WalMart is not ideal in that location, it will help the area residents.

The trolley barn probably isn't an ideal location for a WalMart realisticly (from WalMart's point of view). I don't think there is enough room for the parking sea they would require. There is a KMart very closeby, which I'm sure that WalMart wouldn't mind competing with, but it's not like the area residents are clamboring for discount shopping.

If Paolino has his way though, the trolley barn will be torn down and some sort of big box will be built there, there aren't any Best Buys nearby for instance.

Orulz, I totally agree with you. A lot of people don't seem to understand the economics behind small local businesses; you pay a little more, but you get a lot more in return. And its not only Walmart now, Home Depot is becoming a cancer too, theyre EVERYWHERE now, so close to eachother that they hurt eachothers business (but of course not the company as a whole).

What gets me is that these properties are allowed to rot by people like Joe Paolino and Pat Conley. In the case of the Trolley Barn, there's actual history in there. The building is connected to two institutions of historical merit, is of interesting architectural character, and is most likely going to be torn down. Regardless of what is put in its place, the loss of the trolley barn will be a blow to the preservation of Rhode Island's history, and I'm astonished that we can allow just anybody to own these properties. Imagine if someone bought the Touro Synagogue or the Old Colony House and decided that they were too old and decrepit to fix up and should be torn down. I thought that we got rid of people like that after the urban renewal schemes of the 50's and 60's. How can we let Paolino and others like him destroy our history?

Thanks for listening to me vent...

It would be nice if something like Rau Fastener could happen here. Affordable loft housing. It is a little unattractive to the luxury crowd because it is right next to the highway and train tracks, and the adjacent neighbourhoods are considered poor.

It would be good for low to moderate income housing however, bus service into Providence is rather frequent (by RIPTA standards), there is a grocery store and KMart right in Brewery Parkade for residents without cars. And the highway access is good. If only someone could pry it out of Paolino's hands. This is a place where I would say emminent domain should be considered.

The trolley barn is a great building with magnificent features- giant round arch windows, beautifully cut granite trim, herringbone brickwork, etc. It was build for the ages as the date stones ERECTED AD 1900 attest.

It even merits an illustration in Jordy's Buildings of Rhode Island book.

It might have a greater chance if it was in Providence but the powers that be in Cranston don't seem to care about the architectural prize they have.

What really bites is that the bldg was almost saved a few years ago when a cable company wanted to use it but the deal fell through.

Into the 90s, you had that sight of the giant brick behemoths along the Amtrak route such as Narragansett Brewery and Gorham Mfg, reminders of RI's industrial heritage. Now that stretch is looking increasingly like Anywhere, USA.

What gets me is that these properties are allowed to rot by people like Joe Paolino and Pat Conley. In the case of the Trolley Barn, there's actual history in there. The building is connected to two institutions of historical merit, is of interesting architectural character, and is most likely going to be torn down. Regardless of what is put in its place, the loss of the trolley barn will be a blow to the preservation of Rhode Island's history, and I'm astonished that we can allow just anybody to own these properties. Imagine if someone bought the Touro Synagogue or the Old Colony House and decided that they were too old and decrepit to fix up and should be torn down. I thought that we got rid of people like that after the urban renewal schemes of the 50's and 60's. How can we let Paolino and others like him destroy our history?

Thanks for listening to me vent...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think walmart is a place where fat people and white trash in sweatsuits live to do their grocery, clothing, houseware, yard supply, and pharmacy related shopping, as well as get a bite to eat and get a haircut!!!!!???? It makes me sick that they think they are all powerful because they save a few friggin bucks compared to a name brand or whatever and because they can do it all in one building. It takes away from the classic feel of shopping and browsing and good quality. Congrats to walmart because it isn't their fault. The shoppers have seen the effects of numerous toy stores and clothing/accessory stores going out of business.. including FAO shwarts IN NYC!! (spelling) which re-opened this past christmas thank god. Shopping is getting further and further away from what it used to be and WE THE PEOPLE have control over that.. NOT WALMART... Once again I'm only an 18 year old with just a cell phone bill to pay as well as paying for my clothes and whatever else I buy.. so I don't really feel the effect of higher gas prices and ridiculous taxes, but have some self respect and bring back the quality in life.. SPEND

sorry if that was too much.. just wanna vent my walmart issues. B)

Anybody have a pic of the trolley barn? or is it on artinruins?

I think walmart is a place where fat people and white trash in sweatsuits live to do their grocery, clothing, houseware, yard supply, and pharmacy related shopping, as well as get a bite to eat and get a haircut!!!!!????

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

C'mon, that's such an unfair generalization.

Archived