DEMOLISHED: Cranston Trolley Barn

matt

Oh no, I agree that it is very sad that people use a cheap mega store to buy all their stuff at, its a cycle. People buy stuff at Walmart cause its all they can afford, yet they can only afford it because they are lower income because their community is lower income because Walmart drove out every other business (its not this simple, of course). What I meant before was characterizing Walmart shoppers as fat and "white trash" is just stupid, and inappropriate and snobby.

Anyway, this post is about the Trolley Barn right?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just went over and checked this place out today. There doesnt appear to be too much damage although I bet the fire "mysteriously" damaged a critical part of the structure. If you saw it you would not think that there was a fire in the building the day before. There was a large doorway open allowing a pretty good view inside. You can see the tracks in the floor and there appears to be a rusted trolley in the corner. I noticed that a Cranston building inspector drove up, took some pictures outside of the roof and then went inside the building. I'll post some photos but they dont really show the fire.

Looking at that aerial posted earlier, this really is a perfect building to be rehabbed into something that would benefit this community. It's nice and close to the street and could easily be integrated into a nice new Cranston St. streetscape (and its right on the Amtrak line). I know there's lots of construction goin on there, is it all just for the Garfield Ave mega shopping center? or can we hope for other improvements as well?

The fire is suspicous and Paolino is already saying" its sad but i think unfortunately we're gonna have to tear it down."

Can you say "fishy?" because I say "investigate."

Where is this place? I need to go photograph it. BTW is it near the Cranston Armory because I have been planning to photo that too?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cranston Police arrested a teenager for setting the fire

I know there's lots of construction goin on there, is it all just for the Garfield Ave mega shopping center? or can we hope for other improvements as well?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe most of the construction is to accommodate the new third rail line that's going in from Quonset/Davisville to Providence. It's a complicated intersection that required the rebuilding of the Rt. 10 and Cranston Street overpasses.

Did anyone see that there was a fundraiser for Hil. Clinton at the Paolino house today?

Perhaps we should be writing emails to her about preventing Sketchy Joey P. from tearing down the trolley barn.

On another note, anyone know the anything about the commercial block on Cranston Street just on the Providence side before it gets cut off by rt. 10? Awesome examples of iron-front commercial buildings, and the only ones I can think of outside of downtown.

Wow, those would be beautiful restored...obliterate rt. 10, restore the trolley barn and those buildings, and there ya go...

On another note, anyone know the anything about the commercial block on Cranston Street just on the Providence side before it gets cut off by rt. 10? Awesome examples of iron-front commercial buildings, and the only ones I can think of outside of downtown.

Wow, those would be beautiful restored...obliterate rt. 10, restore the trolley barn and those buildings, and there ya go...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I love those buildings. there's actually a lot of neat buildings on Cranston St. Unfortunately they are being left to crumble and all of the new stuff going up is just horrible. At least the new laundromat building comes up to the sidewalk and isnt set back like that dunkin donuts they built.

Liam

• 2 weeks later...

I have heard it on good authority that there is demolition happening there today... on the western end of the building. I'm getting my cameras ready and heading over there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That really sucks. Every night I drive up Route 10 coming home from work and I look over to make sure it's still "ok", as silly as that sounds. First Blue Coal, now this. All my favorite Route 10 landmarks are being torn down.

Liam

That really sucks. Every night I drive up Route 10 coming home from work and I look over to make sure it's still "ok", as silly as that sounds. First Blue Coal, now this. All my favorite Route 10 landmarks are being torn down.

Liam

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll have some photos on my website soon... this is front page stuff. I should start an Asshole of the Year award... maybe I'll have to come up with a more PC name... and give it to Paolino.

I should start an Asshole of the Year award... maybe I'll have to come up with a more PC name... and give it to Paolino.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know, Asshole of the Year seems like a fair moniker.

I'll have some photos on my website soon... this is front page stuff. I should start an Asshole of the Year award... maybe I'll have to come up with a more PC name... and give it to Paolino.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think this is a very good idea. You could even have a seperate section "Redeveloped, RIP, Still In Use, Assholes" etc etc

Liam

Archived