DEMOLISHED: Cranston Trolley Barn

matt

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:angry::o

I usually hate emoticons but this seems to be the best way to express my mood. I've actually exceeded the number of them allowed by the board, so I've toned it down

I quickly got an insiders response from Janet over at PRI and I posted her assessment of her recent dealings with JP, Jr after her Projo Editorial (on the Trolley barn page). There might be more vitriolic rhetoric coming my way... maybe I can post some stuff anonymously in the Rumor Mill section.

:angry::o

I usually hate emoticons but this seems to be the best way to express my mood. I've actually exceeded the number of them allowed by the board, so I've toned it down

I quickly got an insiders response from Janet over at PRI and I posted her assessment of her recent dealings with JP, Jr after her Projo Editorial (on the Trolley barn page). There might be more vitriolic rhetoric coming my way... maybe I can post some stuff anonymously in the Rumor Mill section.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Try Asshole of the Decade.

I went by on Monday and saw a few machines on the east side, paused for a second, then decided that they were part of the road construction. Guess I was wrong. Dammit. What a dick.

pretty sad day.

I'll have some photos on my website soon... this is front page stuff. I should start an Asshole of the Year award... maybe I'll have to come up with a more PC name... and give it to Paolino.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've watched this building for a long time. I've always loved it, and I always somehow KNEW that the right person would come along and bring it back to life.

I can't believe what i just saw on Art In Ruins. hearing about it was bad, but seeing the images is almost devastating.

Anyone with vision could have saved the trolley barn and would not have let it sit and decay for so long. There was so much potential there. Why couldn't Mr. Asshole Of The Year just sell it to someone who could have made something really special with it??

I've said it before, he's nothing but a f***ing slum lord. Why is Mr. Paolino even able to own property? He has no respect for it.

I'm sick over this.....

"The old building is putting up a good fight, though. At times, the wrecking claw strained to wrench chunks of wall off. "

GOOD! I hope they break thousands of $'s worth of equipment trying to wrestle the bricks off that building!

I hate the whole tone of this article, especially the "its destruction was long overdue" and "We made every attempt...to try and save the building" lies.

What BULLSHTT! :angry:

Ugh. Of course Mayor Laffey thinks it shoul dhave come down. Looking towards the future? What could they possibly build there that would be as well constructed? Is the next building going to last 100 years?

The best part is the demolition guy saying that no one wants the brick. I know for a fact that the demolition of Eagle Square was almost profitable... here is some of the report:

"The project produced a total of 59,701 tons of waste, of which only 349 tons (less than 1%)

went to landfill. During the project, the contractor found markets for brick and massive timbers, which comprised the majority of the value encased in the building materials. The contractor crushed concrete and brick on site and used it as much needed fill, saving the client over a million dollars and delivering higher air and water quality to the community. The project diverted over 99% of materials while allowing the client and contractor to split significant savings."

So they tear it down, without knowing what will be built there... and therefore for all we know someone will come in and have to buy fill to even out the surface when they are done... what a waste.

I want them...my garden needs a new patio. At least part of the trolley barn can live on there...

I think I might head on over there tonight.

Paolino has reached a new level of scuminess. Freakin' moron.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmmm I have a work thing tonight (Bowlin' at Langs - Woo!!) but I would like to grab some too. Maybe this weekend if there are still some to be had. I have a pickup truck in case you need something to haul em in :-)

Liam

was it demolished!?? that building was the one building that I looked at when I woke up in the car by someone saying "Michael, we're home" after long road trips from New Hampshire. It was a pointless building, being empty and all, but it made me feel at home. :(

You should check this out:

www.paolinoproperties.com

I like how the press releases are 5 years old. This compnay has done nothing positive, not even what they themselves think of as positive. Everything they say on there is SO general. No specifics at all. Their Developments page is a joke too. The things they say about themselves on the "About Us" page. Who do they think they are kidding? :wacko: I'm so incensed, I think I need to shut down Safari and go for a walk.

BTW= Janet from PRI will be on Channel 6 this evening, and she's no fan of JP Jr. either.

You should check this out:

www.paolinoproperties.com

I like how the press releases are 5 years old. This compnay has done nothing positive, not even what they themselves think of as positive. Everything they say on there is SO general.

I think it's the only web site with a dedicated "urban parking" section. That pretty much sums up the Paolino Properties philosophy.

"We demolish it so you can park on it."

BTW= Janet from PRI will be on Channel 6 this evening, and she's no fan of JP Jr. either.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Channel 12 called it an eyesore. Way to report off of a press release guys. The reporter did her remote from the parking lot at K. Gibbs. So much more scenic than the 'eyesore' across the street. :rolleyes:

The site of the future Providence Grand Hotel is across from Waterplace Park. Providence Grand is proposed to be a full service luxury boutique hotel and residential condominium development, which will be a first for Providence. The hotel's aim is to cater to the entertainment and hospitality needs of the upscale business and academic institutions in and around Providence.

huh? :unsure:

Is there a development website in Rhode Island that does not have a plan for Parcel 12 on it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Paolino had trouble obtaining financing for this project, and there is a problem with the water table, which would make underground parking extremely expensive.

Laffey: "it rids the city of a major safety concern" ?????  :rolleyes:

Was the building a national register listed place?  If so can't they not just tear it down?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually being listed on the National Register does not protect a building from demolition. It's just an honorary designation. The only way to really protect a building is through local legislation.

Actually being listed on the National Register does not protect a building from demolition. It's just an honorary designation. The only way to really protect a building is through local legislation.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're right, I was confused. National Register's can't be adversely affected by federally funded highway projects...

Archived