Why is S.C. always last?

803metlife

For years every since I was a child I would always watch my favorite Rap,Rock, R&B group have city tours and they almost never came to S.C. I've always wondered why some of our favorite groups never stop in S.C. to give concerts. And I've watch groups come to Charleston and Greenville and wouldn't stop in Cola and after yrs and yrs of the samething it makes me want to evaluate the situation and wonder why doesn't anyone never come here. I've drawed my on conclusion I want to hear everybody else's.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For years every since I was a child I would always watch my favorite Rap,Rock, R&B group have city tours and they almost never came to S.C. I've always wondered why some of our favorite groups never stop in S.C. to give concerts. And I've watch groups come to Charleston and Greenville and wouldn't stop in Cola and after yrs and yrs of the samething it makes me want to evaluate the situation and wonder why doesn't anyone never come here. I've drawed my on conclusion I want to hear everybody else's.

I think big name performing artists go by two things: the size of the market and the size of the venue. After a stop in both Charlotte and Atlanta, many of them see no reason to stop anywhere in South Carolina. If Charleston sometimes gets someone, it is because it is a longer haul for them to get to Atlanta or to Charlotte than it is for people from the Columbia or Greenville areas, and Charleston isn't too far for Columbians to drive to. Also, for years the Bi-Lo Center in Greenville and Charleston's largest venue had overtaken the Carolina Coliseum as the state's largest venues. Since the Colonial Center opened in Columbia as the state's largest venue, I can't say I have noticed Charleston or Greenville getting more big-name acts than Columbia. I can't say I've noticed any of the three getting many big-name acts recently, so even though the Colonial Center is considered a large indoor venue, the Charlotte and Atlanta theory are still in play in my opinion. Myrtle Beach gets its own brand of entertainment it seems to me. And consider someone like Madonna. To her and her agents, Atlanta is in the smallest tier of cities that she would be caught dead in. It's just a big-city image thing.

And I don't think the Confederate flag helps.

I think big name performing artists go by two things: the size of the market and the size of the venue. After a stop in both Charlotte and Atlanta, many of them see no reason to stop anywhere in South Carolina. If Charleston sometimes gets someone, it is because it is a longer haul for them to get to Atlanta or to Charlotte than it is for people from the Columbia or Greenville areas, and Charleston isn't too far for Columbians to drive to. Also, for years the Bi-Lo Center in Greenville and Charleston's largest venue had overtaken the Carolina Coliseum as the state's largest venues. Since the Colonial Center opened in Columbia as the state's largest venue, I can't say I have noticed Charleston or Greenville getting more big-name acts than Columbia. I can't say I've noticed any of the three getting many big-name acts recently, so even though the Colonial Center is considered a large indoor venue, the Charlotte and Atlanta theory are still in play in my opinion. Myrtle Beach gets its own brand of entertainment it seems to me. And consider someone like Madonna. To her and her agents, Atlanta is in the smallest tier of cities that she would be caught dead in. It's just a big-city image thing.

And I don't think the Confederate flag helps.

The confederate flag definitely hinders Columbia in particular and South Carolina in general. The terrible conservative politics and the 'good ol boy' network here finishes us off.

It's all just so the promoters can make as much money as possible. When I was younger I remember Augusta used to get all the cool concerts: Motley Crue, Beastie Boys, etc. Widespread Panic and Jump Little Children used to play this town once a month it seemed like. Then gradually people started driving to Columbia to go see concerts because they weren't stopping here anymore, and now, it's like we have go to Atlanta or Charlotte because they're not stopping in Columbia......

I think SC, and Columbia in particular, is starting to become noticed a bit more in the concert tour circuit. I remember when Prince was on tour; he stopped in Columbia, but not Charlotte. Also, now that the new Charlotte arena isn't considerably larger than the Colonial Center, Columbia can actually compete somewhat. Also, the new Inferno arena will give the metro area a smaller venue when the Colonial Center is deemed to be too big.

I think it's the close proximity to Charlotte. If a band/concert comes to Charlotte then a 50 min to hour fifteen minute drive isn't bad driving from Columbia...I think thats why they skip Columbia alot...I know alot of people when Columbia has concerts that Charlotte doesn't get then they all come to Columbia. I think thats one reason

I know alot of people when Columbia has concerts that Charlotte doesn't get then they all come to Columbia. I think thats one reason

Now I have seen that happen before. But when I ride to other cities sometimes I get jealous when I hear all kind of big name concerts that won't come to cola

The confederate flag definitely hinders Columbia in particular and South Carolina in general. The terrible conservative politics and the 'good ol boy' network here finishes us off.

You know, the funny thing is, the flag is probably less supported in Columbia than anywhere else in the state. The city even sued the state a few years ago to have it removed from the State House grounds. I think the flag is just representative of the reluctance of many South Carolinians, especially legislators, to enter the 21st century. I'm sick of it.

You know, the funny thing is, the flag is probably less supported in Columbia than anywhere else in the state. The city even sued the state a few years ago to have it removed from the State House grounds. I think the flag is just representative of the reluctance of many South Carolinians, especially legislators, to enter the 21st century. I'm sick of it.

I'm sure you can thank Glenn McConnell and some of his other Lowcountry cronies for its place of prominence on our Statehouse grounds.

I dont even think they care about the image it gives the whole state. Plus we had one of the last cities to celebrate mlk.How progressive is that.

I don't mean to make light of this at all, but I just glanced over this and misread it as... "Plus we had one of the last cities to celebrate milk." Haha! I was thinking, "What????" for like 5 seconds. What can I say, I'm ill today. That's my excuse anyway. :)

I think it's the close proximity to Charlotte. If a band/concert comes to Charlotte then a 50 min to hour fifteen minute drive isn't bad driving from Columbia...I think thats why they skip Columbia alot...I know alot of people when Columbia has concerts that Charlotte doesn't get then they all come to Columbia. I think thats one reason

I remember that happenening when Britney Spears stopped in Columbia in 2004 but not in Charlotte, there were a lot of North Carolina plates in Downtown. Not that I attended that concert. :unsure::ph34r:

I think that you can expect to see more tour stops in Columbia, being that the new Charlotte arena is now home to three teams, the Bobcats (NBA), Sting (WNBA), and Checkers (minor league hockey). For instance, T.I.'s ATL Invasion Tour is stopping in Columbia on Nov. 4, but not in Charlotte.

T.I. made an apperance to Myrtle Beach earlier in the summer, forget when exactly.

Ive always ran the impression Columbia is in between the I-85 and I-95 corridors so it does not get too much attention from outsiders. If only the state could widen US 1 to NC, northeast of Camden..... :shades: hehe

I think that you can expect to see more tour stops in Columbia, being that the new Charlotte arena is now home to three teams, the Bobcats (NBA), Sting (WNBA), and Checkers (minor league hockey). For instance, T.I.'s ATL Invasion Tour is stopping in Columbia on Nov. 4, but not in Charlotte.

This might bode well for more concerts in Columbia, but the Colonial Center is pretty busy too.

This might bode well for more concerts in Columbia, but the Colonial Center is pretty busy too.

With the Bilo Center no longer having a hockey team (for this coming season anyway), the arena will be trying harder than ever to fill those empty dates. Columbia could have a little more competition than normal because of increased efforts by the BC. We will see how it all plays out.

I remember that happenening when Britney Spears stopped in Columbia in 2004 but not in Charlotte, there were a lot of North Carolina plates in Downtown. Not that I attended that concert. :unsure::ph34r:

Thats because if a tour makes one stop in NC, it is going to Greensboro rather than Charlotte. Greensboro has the largest arena in the state, and it is only a 90 minute or less drive from the Triangle and Charlotte metros.

Many times I have seen a big concert booked only in Columbia and Greensboro. For someone living in Charlotte its about the same distance to either one though I-77 to Columbia is a much easier drive than the horrific I-85 drive to Greensboro.

T.I. supports us pretty well. He's been to to Cola area several times. :thumbsup:

But now that he's more well known, I don't know how long that will last. :unsure:

I've seen T.I. a couple times here before he made it and last year. I definetly know if they keep giving Columbia the best shows like every other city we will have a sell out like everyone else. Alot of times the reason the concerts they bring here don't do well because they try to bring any ol body. To spend my money I have to see the best. But it is official I just had to call Grand Hustle. I got the number from their website on www.grandhustle.com and they confirmed that T.I. will be in concert here along with a line up of other famous artist coming out of Atlanta. The concert will be at the Colonial Center so this should be nice :thumbsup:

I don't mean to make light of this at all, but I just glanced over this and misread it as... "Plus we had one of the last cities to celebrate milk." Haha! I was thinking, "What????" for like 5 seconds. What can I say, I'm ill today. That's my excuse anyway. :)

It wouldn't matter anyway, because milk has been the official State drink for decades! :shades:

I've seen T.I. a couple times here before he made it and last year. I definetly know if they keep giving Columbia the best shows like every other city we will have a sell out like everyone else. Alot of times the reason the concerts they bring here don't do well because they try to bring any ol body. To spend my money I have to see the best. But it is official I just had to call Grand Hustle. I got the number from their website on www.grandhustle.com and they confirmed that T.I. will be in concert here along with a line up of other famous artist coming out of Atlanta. The concert will be at the Colonial Center so this should be nice :thumbsup:

Maybe I'm just getting old...but who the heck is T.I.? I like rock...Green Day, Weezer, U2, System of a Down, Radiohead, and countless other newer and older bands. I've heard Outkast, Snoop Dogg, Jay-Z, 50 Cent and other hip-hop acts. But T.I.? Would that be a BIG name? I guess it is judging by the posts.

Sometimes I miss the old days of Top 40 radio when I knew every song and act on the chart.

Archived