Fall Allergy Capitals of the World

CorgiMatt

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As usual, you have to take these "surveys" for what they are: information compiled by a group of humans with biases. It is similar the "sweatiest places of the World" survey we saw recently, which gave Columbia a bad designation. Who sponsors these, and who actually compiles them? I know our state has been classified as having poor air quality, but you can't convince me that Greenville is #1 in the World. Some people just don't have a clue. :rolleyes:

Okay, here is the article in The Greenville News on this subject. After reading the info, I can't say that I'm terribly upset. Having such beautifully lush landscape comes with a small price at times. I wonder how large an area they are using to designate as "Greenville."

It is also important to note that this survey is for the allergy capital of the U.S., not the World.

I'm not surprised. A previous ranking about respiratory infections ranked Greenville somewhere near the top as well. I think it has something to do with the city's location in the foothills and the state's air quality (as well as proximity to Atlanta).

:shok: How dare you? Atlanta probably contributes to poor air quality in Athens at it's greatest reach. GSP has enough of it's own sprawl and gridlock to damage it's quality of life by itself. If you're going to blame a big city look at the spreading Queen of Cats on border.

P.S. :P:rofl:

And that is true. I have seen maps showing how much of the polluted air travels up and is trapped against the Blue Ridge mountains. :(

:blink: Jeez, Skyliner I apologize for contributing to Greenville's sucky air. I'll to reduce my car usage to only 5 trips daily so that our smog doesn't become yours or wait for prevailing wind patterns to push it towards Columbia. :thumbsup:

Yes, I'm implicating the Almighty Atlanta here. :P

lol, don't make me throw peaches into your sandpit! There's nothing worse than a syrupy sandlapper.

:blink: Jeez, Skyliner I apologize for contributing to Greenville's sucky air. I'll to reduce my car usage to only 5 trips daily so that our smog doesn't become yours or wait for prevailing wind patterns to push it towards Columbia. :thumbsup:

lol, don't make me throw peaches into your sandpit! There's nothing worse than a syrupy sandlapper.

As far as smog is concerned, Atlanta is the king. You have to admit that. I'll take Greenville's air quality over Atlanta's anyday. I'm sorry, that is just how I feel - nothing at all against the city itself. ;)

There haven't actually been any studies that have proven that Atlanta's pollution contributes to ours. Its a popular belief, and one that does make a lot of sense. But the Upstate still has a great deal of pollution on its own, and its an issue that is being addressed, but not as much as it should. We are still technically in non-attainment of EPA standards, but it looks like we might escape without funding restrictions unlike Atlanta.

Archived