Big News for Blue Hills and University of Hartford

HartfordTycoon

This is very big news for the Blue Hills section of North Hartford and UHart. This will change the face of our neighborhood and their campus forever, finally integrating the two. I've been hailing this for a while and it's been little noticed around here, however it will be a huge sign of progress and will almost surely have positive effects on quality of life and property values nearby. I bet this get's started before Front Street!

Courant Article

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is very big news for the Blue Hills section of North Hartford and UHart. This will change the face of our neighborhood and their campus forever, finally integrating the two. I've been hailing this for a while and it's been little noticed around here, however it will be a huge sign of progress and will almost surely have positive effects on quality of life and property values nearby. I bet this get's started before Front Street!

Courant Article

This is exciting but the article was so poorly written! It mentions nothing about what the project might be like, where in Hartford it is, or that it even involves Uhart at all. How exactly will this project transform the Uhart campus? After reading last weeks article by Tom Condon, I thought he WANTED Uhart to be co-developers but that they actually weren't.

http://www.courant.com/news/opinion/commen...0,953481.column

This is exciting but the article was so poorly written! It mentions nothing about what the project might be like, where in Hartford it is, or that it even involves Uhart at all. How exactly will this project transform the Uhart campus? After reading last weeks article by Tom Condon, I thought he WANTED Uhart to be co-developers but that they actually weren't.

http://www.courant.com/news/opinion/commen...0,953481.column

Well, it seems as if there are plenty of details left to be worked out, so plans are probably vague at this point. I don't think that they actually know exactly what they will be building yet, just that the will be tearing down the old projects and replacing them. I'm sure we will be getting updated once they get further along. This will not add to what is already UHart, what it will do is add affordable, quality rental housing nearby along with retail. I would also not be surprised if there is a homeownership component as well.

As for location, for anyone not familiar with the area, Westbrook sits directly across the street from the intersection of Scarborough and Albany, immediately killing property values as you enter the North End from the West End. It extends all the way back from Albany to Plainfield St. which is probably less than a 1/2 mile or so from Uhart where it intersects with Mark Twain Dr. Mark Twain Dr. will very likely be transformed into a street that can take you to Uhart from Albany Ave in effect creating an entrance to the School on Albany. Bowles Park sits directly next to Weaver High School on Granby Street before the Bloomfield town line. The stretch of Granby from Bowles Park to Home Depot in Bloomfield needs to be redone, and probably will be. There is plenty of room for commercial development along that entire corridor and it could almost be contigious with Copaco. Bowles Park is currently located right behind some of the Dormitories and separated with a high barbed wire fence, which will hopefully come down as well. So there is a lot of unused potential in this area that will hopefully be tapped soon.

Well, it seems as if there are plenty of details left to be worked out, so plans are probably vague at this point. I don't think that they actually know exactly what they will be building yet, just that the will be tearing down the old projects and replacing them. I'm sure we will be getting updated once they get further along. This will not add to what is already UHart, what it will do is add affordable, quality rental housing nearby along with retail. I would also not be surprised if there is a homeownership component as well.

As for location, for anyone not familiar with the area, Westbrook sits directly across the street from the intersection of Scarborough and Albany, immediately killing property values as you enter the North End from the West End. It extends all the way back from Albany to Plainfield St. which is probably less than a 1/2 mile or so from Uhart where it intersects with Mark Twain Dr. Mark Twain Dr. will very likely be transformed into a street that can take you to Uhart from Albany Ave in effect creating an entrance to the School on Albany. Bowles Park sits directly next to Weaver High School on Granby Street before the Bloomfield town line. The stretch of Granby from Bowles Park to Home Depot in Bloomfield needs to be redone, and probably will be. There is plenty of room for commercial development along that entire corridor and it could almost be contigious with Copaco. Bowles Park is currently located right behind some of the Dormitories and separated with a high barbed wire fence, which will hopefully come down as well. So there is a lot of unused potential in this area that will hopefully be tapped soon.

My understanding is that both the city and UHart are currently working to repair and extend Mark Twain Drive. Once the project is completed, the school will have an entrance into the North End. Also, both the school and community will have quick access to the new Hartt School of Music building on Albany.

This is great news.....the distinction between the haves and the have nots is quite clear RIGHT NOW....there is the west end with all of its mansions, west hartford, a private university, a private school and then behind all of this is the North End. Finally and hopefully these two areas can be integrated to improve them both.

Actually the school had plans to extend and repave Mark Twain Drive for about two years now since they announced they were constructing a new building for the University of Hartford High School right off the extension. The plans were delayed one year due to haggling over the location of a resevoir but construction is supposed to start in December. The new Performing Arts Center is supposed to tie into the new entrance and I hear the school has quitely begun interior demolition of the old Caddy Dealership to make way for the new center within. According to the VP of Public Affairs the school will hold an official groundbreaking ceremony for both projects within a month or two. These two projects in addition to the upcoming Westbrook/Bowles Park transformations will in fact do wonders for the area and the school.

Archived