Illitches plan to build on surface lots on Woodward

resourcefulidiot

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The downtown Minny Target is awesome. When I was there visiting family, it was a visiting destination. I was most intrigued by the cart-accesible escalators!

The Taget in downtown Chicago has those too. It was the first time I've seen those and thought they were pretty cool.

The Taget in downtown Chicago has those too. It was the first time I've seen those and thought they were pretty cool.

I went to a mutli-level Wal-Mart down in Acapulco quite a few years ago, and they had something else I hadn't seen in a Big Box store here in the U.S.. The store a a huge circular ramp, which was interesting going up, but terrible going down with all of the groceries. lol

Ram, I've heard that charge, before, but how much does that have to do with the downtown being relatively depopulated compared to other big city downtowns? I doubt this is just a Detroit issue. I'm sure this makes it harder to restart a retail district, but I'd imagine there are quite a few just as buglarized downtowns in this country. I'd like to see some numbers for permanent Woodward storefronts.

Hmm, but I thought these "smash and grabs" were just limited to small retail stores. Ones that had a limited amount of security and are not staffed at all hours. For some reason, I don't think Targets are empty at all hours. Meaning there are employees inside at all times restocking shelves and cleaning floors with a limited amount of security personel, but enough to squash a robbery. And with its location in a well lit, high profile part of town, it's seems like such an attempt would be rare. And if attempted, incredibly stupid considering how much security Target has. I'd also like to mention how intense the security is at some Targets I've been inside in Los Angeles. There's just absolutely no way someone could steal something over $2. I know I'm citing Target over and over, but I think this works for many larger retail stores.

BTW, I don't think people realize how common "big box" multilevel stores are across the US. Some of these even are accompanied with underground parking and a small amount of surface parking. It just goes to show that land in Michigan is really really cheap.

I think one important think that some might be overlooking is the fact that one of these locations is directly in front of Comerica Park, and the others get very light foot traffic during the day.

Now it's pretty obvious that the mezzanine level of CoPa is built so that the Fox Theatre is visible from the 3rd base stands. It's obvious that Illitch cares quite a bit about visibility and line of sight. I'm thinking that we can rule out that site number 4 right away, as it would screw up the visibility of his ballpark.

In regards to sites 1,2 and 3, we all know that daily foot traffic in that northern corner of downtown is slim to none on the typical day. Unless there is a ballgame, there is just nothing on Montcalm Street or the Northern section of downtown Woodward to require foot traffic.

This would have to be destination retail if it would work, which would also probably require parking space. I see this concept coming to a halt.

Dont rule out site for simply because of a Fox Theater site line. That bright new sign on top of the Fox would likely still be visible, and anybody going down for a game likely knows where the Fox is anyway. If Illitch is able to develope these lots they will become destinations and traffic will increase by the Fox theater. I think the lots outside of Comerica on Woodward need to be mixed use with retail and residential. Illitch and co. would be smart to package the two and im sure it would help secure a place like a Target, Meijer, etc.

When I left the Tigers Playoff Rally this morning, I noticed that the retail portion of CoPa at the corner of Witherall and Montcalm is not just empty, but in fact does not even have a floor. I find it hard to believe that Illitch would support the building of new stuff when his prized baseball stadium is not even filled up. With a season like they had this year, I find it hard to believe that there is still empty retail in the stadium.

Is the space large enough for big box retail? If it isnt then it really doesnt mean some other type of retail devlopment is out of the question. Perhaps they arent marketing it or planning to do something else with it. It would be interesting to find out why there is a vacancy.

Archived