A Few Thoughts on the State of Hartford

MichaelQReilly

There are already a few food vendors and office workers already walk and eat there at lunch. It could certainly be expanded upon and improved though.

The fact is that Hartford is a scary place, because alot of violence does go on there. The City is very poor and has a larger then usual share of low lifes. When you go Downtown you can almost feel the lawlessness in the air. yet the cops will stop you for not wearing a seat belt.

I do believe we are going in the right direction but lets face it, you go to area's like the North End of Hartford and you have a complete break down in Social fabric. Alot of these People with no Sense,values or care for anything beyond self gratification. I love the Hartford Region, but I've never in my life seen a Dumber lower class, then that which exits in Hartford and I've lived all over the Country (Detroit, NY, Ca)

GOd bless those people who are willing to move Downtown and put up with alot of non-sense. I Hope things really do gel. Everyone admits Hartord has the potential, but I dont know?

DR

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fact is that Hartford is a scary place, because alot of violence does go on there. The City is very poor and has a larger then usual share of low lifes. When you go Downtown you can almost feel the lawlessness in the air. yet the cops will stop you for not wearing a seat belt.

I do believe we are going in the right direction but lets face it, you go to area's like the North End of Hartford and you have a complete break down in Social fabric. Alot of these People with no Sense,values or care for anything beyond self gratification. I love the Hartford Region, but I've never in my life seen a Dumber lower class, then that which exits in Hartford and I've lived all over the Country (Detroit, NY, Ca)

GOd bless those people who are willing to move Downtown and put up with alot of non-sense. I Hope things really do gel. Everyone admits Hartord has the potential, but I dont know?

DR

I'm born and raised and still live in the North End. It's not as bad as people think and calling people dumb won't help them want to become educated or attain upward mobility in society. I know people from the worst parts of Detroit, Philly, DC, etc. who come here and say they don't even see a real hood anywhere. I tend to agree.

But then again, maybe that's what's dumb about the people here. It's not even all that bad and people want to act like it is Detroit or Baltimore. I don't hold my tongue about the fools around here, but it would not really take much to turn Hartford around. It would be way easier here than in larger cities with more entrenched poverty.

You have to be careful in every city, this is America, that's just how it is here.

DR

Downtown and North End are not exactly the same. I don't feel Downtown Hartford is anymore lawless than downtown in major cities.

I am a major supporter of Hartford. There are bad parts of Hartford but not extremly bad parts. It annoys me when people compare crime rates in Hartford to those of the South Bronx. I go to school in the Bronx and crime in the south bronx is in no way comparable to those of the North End for example. Now with this in mind there are parts of the bronx such as Riverdale that are, believe it or not very upscale with multi-million dollar homes, private schools and private colleges.

Areas of the city outside of downtown such as Park Street, Albany Avenue and Franklin Avenue are some of the most vibrant areas of the city and yes the entire Hartford region. Park Street is filled with people go to the Hispanic restaurants, bakeries, shops, and markets....Park Street is bustling like Chinatown & Little Italy in NYC and Park Street is at time more bustling then areas like West Hartford Center.

DR

I totally disagree. Downtown Hartford is nowhere need as bad as you describe. Of course crime is a problem, but every major American city has some form of crime or another. I don't consider Hartford to be all that bad, in comparison to other cities.

Park Street is filled with people go to the Hispanic restaurants, bakeries, shops, and markets....Park Street is bustling like Chinatown & Little Italy in NYC and Park Street is at time more bustling then areas like West Hartford Center.

Yeah.... but is Park Street visited by anybody other than Hispanics in the area ? I've been to Park Street and it is BUSY and loud. And it's also dirty.One good business next to another that doesn't even sweep the street... But does Park St. attract any tourists like a Chinatown or Little Italy does? Does it have the same pull? Maybe the Plaza Mayor project could be the gateway and attract other ethnicities to the area ,but I see Park Street similar to Broad St. in PVD....a thriving commercial area and always busy...but an area that is mostly neglected and unkempt. Suburbanites, much less city residents, wouldn't dare be caught in the Latin ghetto. Park St. is definitely more intimate and less spread out than the one here but a lot of work needs to be done until it becomes a tourist destination. In this case, the Plaza Mayor project would better define the area and give it some direction....

Archived