Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RestedTraveler

Future of Cleveland Park Stables

14 posts in this topic

According to THIS ARTICLE in the Greenville News, Cleveland Park Stables is up for sale for $1.9 Million.

The article mentions that the property could be developed into housing. How does everyone feel about that?

My thoughts: This place is an institution. I'd prefer it be kept as an equestrian center. Perhaps the Greenville County Recreation District could somehow purchase the place and incorperate it into Cleveland Park? Anything but additional housing.

Your thoughts?

CPS has been on the market for months now. I was very disappointed when I first saw the FOR SALE sign out front. I would love for the City of Greenville to buy the property and keep it as an equestrian center extention of Cleveland Park. Why would they let it go? :dontknow:

Doesn't the recreation district already operate a facility in Travelers Rest off of Old White Horse Road? Could this be combined with that?

Doesn't the recreation district already operate a facility in Travelers Rest off of Old White Horse Road? Could this be combined with that?

Yes, they operate the River Bend Equestrian Center off of River Bend Road (near Carilion, and just a stone's throw away from me). This would make an excellent addition to that which has already been established at River Bend EC.

I would love to live right there on the river in Cleveland Park though. More residents in the city is always welcome. I'm not convinced either way yet. Something like townhomes could be a neat concept...

I would love to live right there on the river in Cleveland Park though. More residents in the city is always welcome. I'm not convinced either way yet. Something like townhomes could be a neat concept...

Townhomes with stables on the ground floor instead of garages?

Townhomes with stables on the ground floor instead of garages?

That is an idea Tryon and Landrum should consider. Aiken probably has a go at it now.

Most folks don't know this, but there are more horses in Greenville County than any other South Carolina county, including horse-mad Aiken and Camden.

Most folks don't know this, but there are more horses in Greenville County than any other South Carolina county, including horse-mad Aiken and Camden.

That's really neat. Thanks for sharing.

Personally, I hate seeing townhouses going in on every square inch of open ground. In a perfect world, the city would figure out some way of incorporating that area in the the Cleveland Park/Reedy River Greenway.

I think it would be a real shame to have this sold and demolished for townhomes. Hopefully, any potential buyer could keep the stables. Could the Greenville Zoo use it somehow??

At $1.9M I think the City should stay clear of it. That money could be better spent finishing up Cleveland Park West. Remember the city already lost $6M in funding over the Riverplace fiasco.

What about the GCRD? Are they unable to take it over because it's "out of district" (i.e. inside of the city limits)?