Turkey

Spartan

These are some of my pictures from my trip to Turkey earlier this summer. After going there I can say for sure that western Turkey is solidly European.... they just have the whole Islam thing going on. It is a beautiful country, and probably one of the most misunderstood.

These are just a few of my best/favorite pictures. They don't scratch the surface of how fantasticly beautiful this country is.

Istanbul from the plane

DSC00950_small.jpg

The Blue Mosque

DSC00961_small.jpg

inside the Blue Mosque

DSC00969_small.jpg

St. Sophia from the Blue Mosque

DSC01015_small.jpg

A street in Istanbul

DSC01024_small.jpg

some of the skyline from the Topaki Palace

DSC01037_small.jpg

Old/New from the Bosphorus

DSC01111_small.jpg

The Bosphorus Bridge

DSC01167_small.jpg

A former fishing village, now a part of metropolitan Istanbul

DSC01176_small.jpg

The Byzantine Wall (left: restored section; right: old section)

DSC01217_small.jpg

Bodrum seaside cafe

DSC01427_small.jpg

Bodrum

DSC01428_small.jpg

Sunset, Bodrum

DSC01449_small.jpg

The water was really this blue

DSC01470_small.jpg

A small fishing village

DSC01472_small.jpg

island

DSC01489_small.jpg

Turkish Tea, they drink this stuf everywhere all the time

DSC01526_small.jpg

Tower

DSC01534_small.jpg

Sprice Bazaar

DSC01539_small.jpg

Sunset, Istanbul

DSC01543_small.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a great photo tour. Thanks for posting the photos. I didn't even know you had gone to Turkey. That first photo shows an incredible amount of density. Did you get a chance to ride any of the transit there?

I was gone for a couple weeks earlier this summer. Unfortunately I did not ride any transit in Istanbul. Istanbul has a limited subway system and a limited light rail system... though they are expanding rapidly. Its difficult for them to build subterranean transit there becasue every 5 meters or so they run into more artifacts and they have to call in the archaeologists... not to mention that its in an earthquake zone. Light rail does serve the old city and parts of the european side as well... The asian side of the city was not as well served, though there are some connections there as too. Busses and taxis are the major transit modes there... and they work very well. We walked most places, and we also took taxis or used a bus the our group had chartered.

In a southern Turkish town called Bodrum I took a bus-taxi sort of thing. It was interesting. It was a small bus that circulated on a regular route, but you pay as if it were a taxi- based on distance. People were always getting on and off. I assume Istanbul has a similar arrangement.

Istanbul was a particularly interesting place. It felt sort of like Charleston, SC in some places with its wooden slat structures. It was not altered at all during the Hausmann era like Paris, London and other European cities were. It has narrow random winding streets and such.

Fortunately we had translators. This is the only way I would have felt comfortable using transit. Turkish uses the same letters as English, but you have no idea what they are saying or what else is going on. I would not reccomend going there on your own unless you plan to stay in the tourist areas where most people speak some English. Istanbul (the old city) and the popular tourist towns on the coast tend to have English speaking people.

That sounds about right. That side of the city is a crazy place on its own. The growth there is happening quickly. The interesting thing is that nobody in Turkey owns a house unless they are extremely wealthy. I think I saw maybe 1 or 2 the entire time I was there. People live in flats/apartments, condos, etc. and they are all 3-5 stories tall, except in Istanbul and some of the other larger cities where they are much taller. Through out the country in any random small town you will see these things going up. This is all extremely condusive to transit, and a better way to grow, IMO. But its a cultural thing. That would never happen here in America.

This is all extremely condusive to transit, and a better way to grow, IMO. But its a cultural thing. That would never happen here in America.

American culture is to have our own house, land, vehicles (per persons in household) and independance. It would be a very difficult, if not an impossible transition for all of America to transform into western European culture.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Go to Athens. That is the most boring place architecturally with all of the reinforced concrete everything. The ancient Greeks had much better taste.

Istanbul was just different from any other place I've ever been to. Its true that the concrete can be monotonous if thats all you focus on, but the street activity and all of the stuff going on everywhere at all times really keeps your mind off of that. It did or me anyway :)

Go to Athens. That is the most boring place architecturally with all of the reinforced concrete everything. The ancient Greeks had much better taste.

Istanbul was just different from any other place I've ever been to. Its true that the concrete can be monotonous if thats all you focus on, but the street activity and all of the stuff going on everywhere at all times really keeps your mind off of that. It did or me anyway :)

Hah! Good question :)

I am from Spartanburg, which is a much larger city compared to Clemson. I have always loved cities and things urban. I also went to USC, which is in the middle of downtown Columbia, so urban everything there. Clemson is in the middle of nowhere, and you have no idea how much that irritates me. But location aside its a great school, so I have to put up with it for a while.

• 3 weeks later...
Hah! Good question :)

I am from Spartanburg, which is a much larger city compared to Clemson. I have always loved cities and things urban. I also went to USC, which is in the middle of downtown Columbia, so urban everything there. Clemson is in the middle of nowhere, and you have no idea how much that irritates me. But location aside its a great school, so I have to put up with it for a while.

• 2 months later...

Great photos of Turkey, Spartan, thanks! The wife of a friend of mine is from Istanbul, and she is very proud of her home city. After seeing these pictures, I can see why. It looks like a good place to live. The density in that first picture is incredible.

• 3 weeks later...

• 4 months later...
I agree that Turkey is beautiful and has a lot of culture. But if you studied some History (we Medittereneans/Europeans know history), you will realize that Turkey is ancient, midevil, and rennaissance Greece! Istanbul is really Contantinople, the most symbolic city of Chiristianity. Most of the cities around the Bosporous used to have greek names, but were eventually changed. St. Sophia is the oldest and most symbolic christian church in the heart of the city. Of course they want to convert it to a mosque as well.

Athens may be boring architecturally, because it was under Turkish occupation from 1421 to 1821 (400 yrs). Needless to say, they raped, destroyed, and burned everything architecturally significant. However, the Greek architectural elements, in what is todays Modern Turkey, still stands as a reminder of the past. Eventually the Turks were ousted from what is today Modern Greece, but the country was left in ruins. During the following 150 yrs, 1821-1970, Greece underwent a period of deep poverty, unemployment, and 2 World Wars. Even more poverty and ruins ensued. Turkey sided with the Germans of course and did not get affected. Most of those concrete buildings in Athens and in most sizeable Greek cities, were all built during the 60's and 70's. During to economic hardship, a law was passed that allowed homeowners to knock down their architecturally significant homes. so they can build 4-6 story buildings. Usually each floor was given to each of their children. That's why homeownership is Greece is high, despite their low incomes.

The only thing still standing is the Acropolis and the greek symbol, the Parthenon, which was also partially ruined by the Turks who used it as an explosive storage facility. Amazing!

Greece may not have much architecture, but they have culture and spirit! They enjoy life, they sing, they dance, and anyone who goes to Greece, comes back with a better appreciation and positive outlook on life! The Turks and the muslim culture could never take that away from them or come close to blending with the rest of europe. This is why Turkey will never become a member of the European Union. Human rights are far from western standards.

Plus Greece has the thousands of miles of beaches and thousands of beautiful Greek Isles. I am sure the Turks now regret not taking those too! :)

Sorry for the history lesson, but it kinds explains the boring Urbanism in Athens.

Archived