A large urban park in Charlotte?

dubone

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^To do something like that in Charlotte, you'd have to demolish 485, build a comprehensive subway system in its place, and build a series of public parks connecting lower-income communities with middle-income communities. Suffice to say, I don't think the political will to do something like that exists in Charlotte, not to mention funding--stimulus or no stimulus.

^and retrofit some hellacious density upon the unwitting citizens of South Charlotte.

I do like the idea of the central park in Charlotte. This has been an interesting thread. One thing that nobody mentioned was that when they built central park in NYC, they had to destroy some existing development. Of course, the difference here is that they had not built out everything and there was less infrastructure to remove. Still, its a good concept.

^It should be noted that city planners in Manhattan imposed a strict grid system on the entire island before it was developed which contributed to the density that we see today. We don't do that in NC because cities don't develop roads in this state. So what typically happens, a large plot of land is bought up by a developer, they will build it out as they see fit, and then the city inherits the roads dreamed up by the developers. This describes almost all the development in this city outside of the I-277 loop. (I-277 is arbitrary) To do what they did in NY would intrude on "property rights" which usually win out in this state and this city. Developers are king here. Remember that.

Central Park was built because it served the need of NY residents for some green space. NYC was crowded nasty dirty place, as were all big cities in the early 19th century, and the park offered up an escape from that. That need does not exist in Charlotte because most people living in this city have yards or access to green space due to all the sprawl. Lets also remember that Manhattan has 1.7M people living in 28 sq miles whereas Charlotte has only 650k living on 300+ sq/miles. So IMO, this large park is non-starter and it would not become another Central Park if it was built.

Archived