Grizzlies and Predators

qwertycc

For the first time, I went to a preds game last night! A few thoughts:

- Other than the fact I don't understand a lot of the rules (penalties, why the puck is dropped in different spots, I thought regular players couldn't use hands, etc...), the game was VERY exciting. I thought with the fact that scoring is lower than b-ball that it would be more boring, but there is a LOT of action, and I'd say it was much more exciting than the many Hawks games I've been to.

- I know figting occurs in hockey, but last night toto got in a fight and the refs just stood by and watched! Even in football, if a fight is about to occur, the refs try to stop it before hand.

- And if you are going to fight, why take off your helmet; KEEP THE HELMET ON! and toto looked like the little notre dame logo when he was getting ready to fight. Not like boxing for sure!

- I was amazed at how many people really understood the game of hockey, and these weren't transplants; they had southern slang for sure!

- Last night the lower bowl had a lot of empty seats which was kinda disappointing on a weekend night, but the upper deck was PACKED! That tells me that people like the product, but not the pricing. I know the price is a good deal for the NHL, but all that matters is what Tennesseans are willing to pay.

I was of course disappointed we lost, but I also wish I could have seen a shootout; guess I'll have to go again soon!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad you liked it. It was a sell-out last night actually with all 17,113 tickets sold. Now getting people to show up is another thing, but they did sell it out. But if you noticed by the end of the game, all the empty seats were pretty much filled up in the lower bowl.

Fighting is part of the game of hockey. Been that way since the beginning and that is just that. Refs know this, coaches know this so on and so forth. That is why it is allowed in the game and sometimes encouraged. Some games are decided by fights and the momentum they give a team. Keep watching and you'll see what I mean. But just like dribbling is part of Basketball, fighting is part of hockey. The taking of the helmet off is just a prt of fighting just like pulling their jersey's over ones head during the fight. There is a right way to fight in hockey and a wrong way.

Most of the time, the two that fight will go out after the game for drinks and laugh at the whole thing.

Rockytop,

For the record Tootoo is a scrapper. He gets in a high percentage of the squables we have. And I love him for it!

Regarding the empty seats in the lower bowl/boxes, I don't consider it to have anything to do with pricing. This is a common trend across the nation. Go to a Titans game and you will see a packed upper-deck, a mostly full lower bowl, and a so-so seated club level. Why? It is typically because these high dollar seats are owned by the wealthy and corporations/private companies. The working class don't waste tickets that they work very hard for. Therfore they go to every game. While many wealth people might not value each ticket as much, and are more willing to miss a game. Many of the corporate tickets(used as gifts/favors) change hands so often, many end up in the hands of people who could care less about the sport. My cousins company has 6 club level/front row/50 yardline seats to the Titans. They are based in Atlanta and the tickets typically go in the trash. I beg for them, but rarely does he make the effort to send them to me.

FYI, I am not attempting to "bash" the wealthy or corporations. The wealthy also work hard for what they have, and therfore have a right to go/not go to a game(I need tix!) if they desire. Corporations also do teams across the nation a large service in buying many seats that aren't held by season ticket holders. I am just attempting to explain why seats often look full/empty in the common patterns that they do.

Anyways, see you guys thurday night. Go Preds!!!

Thanks for the perspective Nashvillwill. I've been to several Titan's games, and the lower section always seems as full as the upper decks to me, but that's when I'm in the lower bowl, not looking down from the top. As for Titan's club seats, those people can sit inside and watch the game in climate control. So while those seats are emplty, many of those people are in attendance, just indoors. Probably the same in the club section at the GEC, where many people are hanging out in the back of the suite instead of right up front.

But I'm with you, if anyone has Pred's tickets, I'd love to go to more games!

Oh, and on the figting bit, If it's part of the game, that's fine. But do you wonder, if we had tootoo out there for those first 5 minutes, maybe we would have scored that 1 extra point needed to win the game?

Do guys ever rip their gear off and get ready to fit and then change their mind and not fight? If so, is it still a 5 minute penalty? Just curious.

Thanks for the perspective Nashvillwill. I've been to several Titan's games, and the lower section always seems as full as the upper decks to me, but that's when I'm in the lower bowl, not looking down from the top. As for Titan's club seats, those people can sit inside and watch the game in climate control. So while those seats are emplty, many of those people are in attendance, just indoors. Probably the same in the club section at the GEC, where many people are hanging out in the back of the suite instead of right up front.

But I'm with you, if anyone has Pred's tickets, I'd love to go to more games!

Oh, and on the figting bit, If it's part of the game, that's fine. But do you wonder, if we had tootoo out there for those first 5 minutes, maybe we would have scored that 1 extra point needed to win the game?

Do guys ever rip their gear off and get ready to fit and then change their mind and not fight? If so, is it still a 5 minute penalty? Just curious.

Whoa, you are on the Grizzlies message board too? Good stuff! What's your name on there? Yeah, I try to use the same name on any messageboard just for simplicity sake. lol

I'm really excited about this year. They probably won't make the playoffs...but look how well the Spurs developed back when David Robinson was injured for most of the year. Their players developed and they then won the championship the next year. The Suns look to be the same situation this year. Stoudemire was out last year so their other guys got a chance to step up and develop their game. Hopefully the same thing will happen with our Grizz.

It's not only Rudy Gay. To be honest i've been more impressed with Johnson, Kinsey, and Lowry. We really hit the jackpot in the draft this year I think. Hakim and Dahntay have really impressed me as well. If these guys can continue to grow, eddie and damon can stay solid, and big jake and mike can step up and fill the scoring and rebounding hole, we just might be in good shape when Pau comes back. Win or lose though this will be a very good year for the Grizz in the long run.

^ I know you weren't asking me, but they traded Battier for the rights to Gay at #8 and Swift. They also picked up Lowry at their normal spot (#22 or something).

The young guys seem to be impressive. Lowry, Gay, D. Jones, Warrick have all been getting some good experience. The prob until the last game has been some of the vets haven't been up to snuff yet, especially Eddie Jones and Stoudamire. But hopefully they'll all start clicking soon, and by the time Pau gets back we'll have an idea of what we have. It's really a no lose situation I think this year. If we struggle, hopefully we'll get one of the studs in the draft. If we do well, we're back in the playoffs. Either way, with Pau out, a lot of the young guns are getting valuable minutes.

Preds won last nighat against the Colorado Avalanche. 1-0 was the final. I have been under the weather a bit recently so I didn't make it to the game, but I did watch it on Center Ice. Nice game, but the Preds looked out of synch somewhat. Hopefully we can keep up the winning ways and continue to get better!

Oh yeah, it was another sell-out.

Archived