Charlotte's "NC" attachment

Neo

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are American citizens that geographically illiterate that they must include NC after the city.

To chop up half of the sentence, ABSOLUTELY! Americans presume every person they talk to is completly oblivious about geography. I was quite amazed when i was in Italy in the poorest regions of the country that I talked to people that knew their national and European geography & history very well! Heck, even highway mileage signage is indicating this now (Ex: Manhattan, NY; Philadelphia, PA, Boston, MA from distances 25 miles away or less)! If you google search, you should be able to find results that Mexico and the U.S. are dead last in the world for geography knowledge.

:) I think that is a joke because of this thread.

As for the Inc, thing, I think it is just that journalists have no clue about what their readers would know about geography. Inc readers will know Charlotte is in NC and no where else (No one hears Charlotte and mistakes it from Port Charlotte in Florida!).

However, it isn't like we were the only one that didn't get our aretha.

San Jose is behind "1982". Um, who doesn't know San Jose is in California? Also, who doesn't know that CA is California!?! But it is listed as "San Jose, Calif."

I am personally tired of not only most americans needing to be told Charlotte is in NC, but them not knowning of Charlotte in the first place. But Inc readers would certainly know, so this one I blame on the journalist, or the graphics guys that put this one together.

Well, grammar isn't taught in schools anymore, so why would the bother with geography?

I've always found it interesting how grammar is snubbed in public high schools in favor of reading. At my school we had grammar up until graduation. I know that my writing doesn't appear to come from someone who knows all of the rules of grammar, but I know them well. It's just that the Internet is a difficult medium to write for, and grammatical mistakes are easy to miss. When I write a paper or an article, however, my grammar is perfect. Or it is at least understandable.

:unsure::huh::P

Yeah, I had cousins who moved to LA for the Summer last year. The only people who had heard of Augusta were golf fans. Everyone else assumed she was from Atlanta or Texas---one of those two for some reason, no where else in the South existed.

I work with a lady who moved to Charlotte from L.A. 2 years ago. This was more of a "get the hell out of L.A." move rather than a job type transfer.

I asked her what made her choose Charlotte and I remember her reply as being. "well, everybody I know in L.A. hears that Charlotte would be the best city for it's size"...

I often hear her while she is talking to her relatives (via cell phone) during her lunch break. She brags on the city constantly but she's scared to death of all these thunderstorms... :lol:

I often hear her while she is talking to her relatives (via cell phone) during her lunch break. She brags on the city constantly but she's scared to death of all these thunderstorms... :lol:

She should try living in Florida, those are thunderstorms. And they come on nearly a daily basis at 5pm during the summer. Almost like clockwork.

What does she brag about? I mean, coming from L.A., it is obviously cleaner with better traffic, but I can't really think of anything else that makes Charlotte bragably better than L.A.

What does she brag about? I mean, coming from L.A., it is obviously cleaner with better traffic, but I can't really think of anything else that makes Charlotte bragably better than L.A.

I guess it depends on what you are looking for in a city. The people actually say "Hi" here for starters. They stop and talk to you. This totally shocked her. Also, the large trees, lot's of shade that you can't get that from a 75 ft. palm tree. And yes, the cost of living.

Oh, and did I mention the 4 seasons? When she saw rows of yellow & orange leaved trees last Fall, she said she knew she was going to love it here.

I've been to L.A. many times and usually can't wait to leave. It's an abysmal, stuck-up city.

I've been to L.A. many times and usually can't wait to leave. It's an abysmal, stuck-up city.

Agreed, while I've never actually visited the city, I have flown through it on numerous occasions on the way across the pacific. I can't speak for the life in the city, but I can say that when flying over and also while staying in hotels there for longer layovers, they do have a much different attitude about them, I'll leave it at at that. Oh yea, and while we do have our fair share of muggy day smog, at least we can see through it.

I've found some who know where Charlotte is and some who don't as I've travelled. I never offer the "NC" unless they question me about it. If they do, I make sure I act surprised they didn't already know it.

I've noticed in the past couple of years that fewer national news outlets say Charlotte "NC" then used to. At any rate, this has been a hot button issue for me for years. I say if someone doesn't already know where Charlotte is...is that someone that really matters? Just a thought. :thumbsup:

I've found some who know where Charlotte is and some who don't as I've travelled. I never offer the "NC" unless they question me about it. If they do, I make sure I act surprised they didn't already know it.

I've noticed in the past couple of years that fewer national news outlets say Charlotte "NC" then used to. At any rate, this has been a hot button issue for me for years. I say if someone doesn't already know where Charlotte is...is that someone that really matters? Just a thought. thumbsup.gif

That's the spirit. I do the same. Although, being from Raleigh, I'm sort of hoping they memorized the capitals in Middle School or something. Usually, after that exchange ensues, someone from Charlotte a few meters away overhears, and a big conversation starts.

It's like we're a club. Maybe we should stitch NC flags to our suitcases or something? Carry around the same mug?

This is going to sound like a stupid/egotistical observation, and maybe it is, but I believe it to be true anyway - North Carolinians (Charlotteans in particular) are more proud than most other states' residents as a whole. There, I've always thought it, now I said it. If we sewed our flag into our suitcases, we'd put too many dots on it because every city would clamor for the attention. :)

This is going to sound like a stupid/egotistical observation, and maybe it is, but I believe it to be true anyway - North Carolinians (Charlotteans in particular) are more proud than most other states' residents as a whole. There, I've always thought it, now I said it. If we sewed our flag into our suitcases, we'd put too many dots on it because every city would clamor for the attention. :)

I do agree with you on your very first point in your post.

I do agree with you on your very first point in your post.

Fair enough, though it is hard to deny the indignation in this thread is some proof of that. Some feel that Charlotte should be a nationally recognized name, maybe that's not pride, but it's close. Most people are proud of their states and cities, though some are going to louder, more vocal, etc. about it because, like NC and Charlotte, they are in that particular position of being rising stars but not quite "there" yet. It is an observation that includes some bias, true, but I am certainly not just basing it off my own views.

I don't particularly mind if we are sometimes often under the radar screen. I think that might be one of the reasons a little southern town with some fairly aggresive banks took the banking world by surprise over the last 20 or 30 years. It will take time to be more noticed, but I won't fret about it, it is coming and the growth here proves it.

Archived