Charlotte's "NC" attachment

Neo

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, I'd disagree. The first word is "Charlotte". Anyone that makes it to what you quoted would have already passed the word "Charlotte". There is certainly nothing wrong with explaining to readers that Charlotte is NC's most populous city. That's specific information...not information on where Charlotte IS but info on the fact of Charlotte's status as a city in NC.

I totally agree with you A2. I notice it less and less. It still pops up from time to time in surprising places (I guess like the reference that started this whole thread), but in general you do see it less often than several years ago.

As to the fact that North Carolina was also mentioned in the USA Today article...

If what we are saying is that in a conversation or article if no one can ever mention Charlotte and then later on mention NC, without it slighting Charlotte in some way...then this is a silly thread anyway. All I care about is whether people know where Charlotte is without always having to say Charlotte, NC. Beyond that...I'm not looking to be too picky.

Last night's football game saw some cool nighttime DT aerial shots... from the place called Carolina. I've gotten over that one, what the hell, but they did call this the "Queen City of the South", verbatim, I think it was Al Michaels. Ergggg.... :angry: I've already pointelessly argued this in another thread, but there are several basic facts that make us the ORIGINAL Queen city...

The TV Guide listing of the game said the Cowboys travel to Charlotte to take on the Panthers. I went to the game (jf it can be called that), but Tivo'd the game and the pre-game show. I noticed that when the pre-game came on, the first thing they said was just Charlotte. Several times in the show (as much as I watched of it) they did also include the "NC". I think one of the shots of the skyline just said "Charlotte" too.

^ & ^^ Yeah, I watched the first 3 quarters and finally shut it off, and have not checked the final score yet, nor do I plan to. I know it's not all Fox' fault, but I like him a little less every game, it always seems he either makes a complete bonehead call or manages to come out on the wrong side of luck, like his called timeout in the 1st half when Peppers blocked the field goal...

I don't know how Cinci got the Queen City nickname, perhaps someone here can instruct, I was trying to find this out earlier and didn't, but did see they have about 9 other ones, I think they just assume any nickname must be theirs.. ;) I kid [mostly], I have a soft spot for Cinci, but desist with this "Queen City" stuff..

^But Cincinnati already had a few years worth of a head start on Charlotte and was still more important regionally and nationally. If that one event was enough to thrust Charlotte to national heights, then it wouldn't have taken the city another 100 years to become the largest in the Carolinas.

A quote from Conan O'Brien just a few minutes ago from this week's "Actual Products" skit:

"Here's one from the Charlotte Observer in Charlotte, NC"

This also may seem like a strange question to ask, but where was Queen City TV & Electronics founded? Charlotte or Cincinnati? (Rhetorical question.)

I watched that Dallas, um, game :huh: last week. I did notice how they used the NC and then sometimes removed it later on. I think it depends on the context, such as if you are talking to sports fans around the country they may know of Charlotte (minus the "NC") from the Hornets/Panthers/Bobcats/NASCAR, or as someone is business who follows the banking industry, etc., but otherwise I think it depends quite a bit. I've heard people have been confused by the fact that NC has two "Carolina" teams that aren't in the same city. Carolina Panthers makes more sense, since they draw from SC too, but then again, Raleigh is too small a city to survive on it's own name and is a very regional area by nature (excludes Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary, etc).

The boxing world heavyweight match is on now, with Charlotte's own Calvin Brock (native and graduate of UNCC) fighting the defending champion Wvladimir Klitscho of Ukraine.

Not only is Calvin repedeatly getting labeled as from Charlotte, North Carolina, but from Charlotte, North Carolina, USA. Granted it is an internationally televised fight, but needing the national identifier really hurts.

EDIT. Calvin just got knocked out in the 7th.

• 3 months later...

I thought it would be fun, if within acceptable quoting rules, to collect botched mentions. Sort of an ongoing informal audit to keep track of progress, or the lack thereof, of the city's name recognition.

Came across this one today from a small paper in suburban Maryland about a local resident who performed at the recent CIAA tournament:

From The Gazette, March 8, 2007:

"Gabriel

Somewhat off the , NC topic but I just saw this on jeopardy

There was a category about city nicknames today.

The answer was:

Royal "City" nickname of Helena & Buffalo & Seattle & Cincinnati

The question:

What is the Queen City?

Pretty blatant omission if you ask me.

EDIT: The category was about Helena.

Archived