Charlotte's "NC" attachment

Neo

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree. This article plainly laid out the case that Charlotte is losing its "NC" attatchment. When I lived in Marietta, in the early 80's, Atlanta was about where we are now, with respect to their "GA" attatchment. That quickly changed, and ever since the mid 80's Atlanta has stood alone when referred to by media outlets. It has never looked back since.

A2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've gotta share this.

I just got in to work a few minutes ago, and there was a Chick-fil-A coupon in my cubby. It's for a free Chich-fil-A sandwich at the new restaurant on South Blvd (right across from the 3030 South condo development) and it reads, "A NEW Chick-fil-A Restaurant Is Opening May 10, 2007 in Charlotte, SC!"

:rofl:

cover story of US News & World Report about cities with the worst commute time, and cities combatting the commute. Charlotte is mentioned in the article with Denver and SLC for having light rail. All cities referred to by one name, except ours (which received the "NC" attatchment.)

For one thing, Charlotteans seem addicted to adding NC to their name. Why not be bold and assert standalone CHARLOTTE in national/international forums, instead of tacking on NC when you refer to your hometown? I see more people from Winston-Salem, Durham, Raleigh, heck even Fredericksburg and Roanoke leaving off their states than Charlotteans. When I refer to Charlotte when I am outside of NC, I don't tack on NC, and everyone seems to know exactly what I am talking about. Charlotteans are perpetuating this too.

I see things this way. We are continually increasing population WITHOUT a major "attraction". I kind of like the fact that we are still this hidden gem of the Carolinas.

For those that will blast me for that comment, don't worry, when we hit a population in the metro of over 2 million and the traffic is out of control, people will be moving to Hickory or Lancaster just to get away from it all. (Hopefully, by that time,we will have mass transit of some sort to shuttle them to their high-rise jobs and back to the tranquility of the countryside!)

Charlotte is fine just the way it is. If it wasn't, then we wouldn't be experiencing all of the growth that is going on around us.

Enjoy the city for what it is and let it evolve naturally. We can't force ourselves to be something we are not. :rolleyes:

Plain and simple: the only reason anyone has to clarify Charlotte, NC is because of Charlottesville, VA and Charleston, SC. That's a lot of Charl's within driving distance of each other. The first time I ever drove through here, I knew WHERE on the map this city was, but called it Charlottesville a couple of times. I was on my way to Charleston. It's just a geographical handicap, not a slight. My family is all from New England. They love it here and are actually looking to relocate, but they still get the three cities confused.

^ That's more common than we'd normally imagine. During some flight somewhere I ended up talking to the guy in the adjacent seat, and I asked him if he was visiting Charlotte or just transferring through it, turns out just visiting and after a few other comments he said it was a nice town, and made a comment about how the Dave Matthews Band was from here.

Charlottesville, Charlotte...

I think I've slowly changed my mind on this issue, which is to say, I no longer care if the NC attachment is there or not. I think we've reached the size and momentum where there is little more to worry about, but really, if the NC is added then even better - that's a little extra free airtime for our state as well, in addition to educating those who need the help.

Krazeeboi - please scan and post that coupon!

I don't say NC anymore....I let them shame themselves by asking if they are that geographically illiterate. If they do ask, I typically try to throw in some mention of Charlotte's size to make it seem obvious that they should be aware.

I had this problem when I was moving from DC. My coworkers were like, oh, you're moving to Charlotte, I guess that's not a big step since you went to school there (I went to UVA, in CharlotteSVILLE). The first few times I was like, no, Charlotte NORTH CAROLINA, the University of VA is NOT in North Carolina. After a while I just gave up though.

Are people really this geographically ignorant? People are moving in pretty good #s from DC to CLT, can't people understand the difference between a nice small city with a major university and the second largest financial center in the US?

I've gotta share this.

I just got in to work a few minutes ago, and there was a Chick-fil-A coupon in my cubby. It's for a free Chich-fil-A sandwich at the new restaurant on South Blvd (right across from the 3030 South condo development) and it reads, "A NEW Chick-fil-A Restaurant Is Opening May 10, 2007 in Charlotte, SC!"

:rofl:

I wonder if people from Kansas City are defensive as to which state they are attached... likewise St. Louis to an extent. Bristol, VA + TN. Any other examples? Maybe it's not even the same thing, because those cities actually ARE in two states.

Archived