What Stores/Restaurants does LR still need?

Cru Jones

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^

I don't know about Cheesecake Factory, the LR market seems a bit small for one IMO.

Abuelo's Mexican Embassy, O'Charley's, Copeland's, Fuddruckers, Red Robin Gourmet Burgers, Fish City Grill, and Buffalo Wild Wing's look like good choices for the LR Market.

Buffalo Wild Wings, Red Robin, and Abuelo's are supposedly on their way along with Carabba's.

None of these are restaurants I care too much about, they're kind of mid-tier at best. I like Fish City Grill but it's just expanding outside of DFW so we'll have to see if LR's on its slate for expansion. I like Copeland's and would like to see one but for years they've been reluctant to enter the LR market because of Cajun's Wharf which is stiff competition.

I thought LR was getting a Cantina Laredo in Midtowne but not much has been said about that lately, which is a bit of a disappointment.

I think LR could get a Cheesecake Factory if Des Moines, Dayton, Birmingham did, it's just a matter of having the right development to put one in. I think the same is true of Ruth's Chris which I would really like to see.

You would expect that Joe's Crab Shack, Saltgrass Steakhouse, Bonefish, and Posado's will be entering the market before long. I would like to see more DFW chains make their way up to LR/NLR which is a possibility, they've always seemed to like the market in the past.

Retail - there are really too many to list. LR doesn't have any of the stores that my wife likes, including Forever 21 and Charlotte Russe. I would like a Kenneth Cole or Lacoste store but those may be a bit too lofty for LR. Any dept store including Macy's would be an improvement. I would love Nordstrom's but Arkansas isn't on their map yet.

I'm really surprised to hear that Little Rock has no Lowe's stores... especially as much as Wal-Mart partners up with Lowe's in large-scale developments these days.

We have Charlotte Russe, Carrabba's, Buffalo Wild Wings, SuperTarget and Copeland's, and Cantina Laredo will be opening before the end of the year. I'd really be surprised if Little Rock didn't get any of these within the next couple years... I'd say it's almost a given, especially with the amount of decent-sized shopping centers planned for your area. You may even end up with Red Robin before us, and I LOVE Red Robin.

Aporkalypse... do you really think Kenneth Cole and LaCoste are too lofty for Little Rock? I'd say not any more than Cheesecake Factory... I think both of those stores - at least Kenneth Cole - would do well in a nicer area of Little Rock.

I'm really surprised to hear that Little Rock has no Lowe's stores... especially as much as Wal-Mart partners up with Lowe's in large-scale developments these days.

We have Charlotte Russe, Carrabba's, Buffalo Wild Wings, SuperTarget and Copeland's, and Cantina Laredo will be opening before the end of the year. I'd really be surprised if Little Rock didn't get any of these within the next couple years... I'd say it's almost a given, especially with the amount of decent-sized shopping centers planned for your area. You may even end up with Red Robin before us, and I LOVE Red Robin.

Aporkalypse... do you really think Kenneth Cole and LaCoste are too lofty for Little Rock? I'd say not any more than Cheesecake Factory... I think both of those stores - at least Kenneth Cole - would do well in a nicer area of Little Rock.

I assume you're talking about Lowe's Hardware/Home Improvement since you mentioned Wal-Mart. If that's the case, there are several Lowes in the LR area. Most of them are close to a Wal-Mart as well.

That's good to see that S/BC is getting a lot of these restaurants. Hopefully a few of them will end up here as well. I've never eaten at Red Robin, but I've heard good things.

I assume you're talking about Lowe's Hardware/Home Improvement since you mentioned Wal-Mart. If that's the case, there are several Lowes in the LR area. Most of them are close to a Wal-Mart as well.

That's good to see that S/BC is getting a lot of these restaurants. Hopefully a few of them will end up here as well. I've never eaten at Red Robin, but I've heard good things.

vbfl85 mentioned the following in his list: "Carrabbas Italian Grill, Apple Store, Super Target, Lowes, Dunkin Donuts, Boneish Grill, Hard Rock Cafe." That's why I made that assumption... maye he meant Loews theaters? That could be it.

Yes, Red Robin is very good... love them. I hope Little Rock AND SBC get them because I've wanted one for years.

vbfl85 mentioned the following in his list: "Carrabbas Italian Grill, Apple Store, Super Target, Lowes, Dunkin Donuts, Boneish Grill, Hard Rock Cafe." That's why I made that assumption... maye he meant Loews theaters? That could be it.

Yes, Red Robin is very good... love them. I hope Little Rock AND SBC get them because I've wanted one for years.

Gotcha. I missed him saying that. Not sure which Lowe's he's refering to.

I was reffering to Lowes Home Improvement. Im pretty sure that the only lowes in pulaski county are in jacksonville and nlr. I know this thread was probably reffering more to the Little Rock Metro, however i think a city of 180,000 should have a Lowes in the city proper.

I was reffering to Lowes Home Improvement. Im pretty sure that the only lowes in pulaski county are in jacksonville and nlr. I know this thread was probably reffering more to the Little Rock Metro, however i think a city of 180,000 should have a Lowes in the city proper.

They should have one. There's 5 in Benton & Washington Counties, with a 6th one on the way. I'd rather have more Home Depot's, they have better quality.

I don't care for chain restaurants, personally, and would rather have fantastic locally owned restaurants. The Pleasant Ridge project is getting two new local restaurants including Imagine, owned by a New Orleans couple who moved here because of Katrina and stayed. As far as Italian restaurants, which someone mentioned upthread, there is Capeo in downtown NLR, Prego and Lucchesi's on Kavanaugh in LR. All are excellent and locally owned, although I think there may be one other Lucchesi's in Memphis. The Villa at Markham and Barrow is also very good. Oh, and I forgot Bruno's Little Italy.

Cool....thumbs up for Shreveport/Bossier!

Pappadeauxs! Fantastic restaurant....

Sadly, I had heard that Shackelford Crossing lobbied hard, but they felt the market wasn't large enough.....I cried.

Oh...and Apple!!

I really don't understand why LR does not have a J Crew. Other markets this size have a store yet we are still without. Does anybody know why we have been overlooked? The Midtowne development would have been a perfect fit. Unless the current university mall site is developed into something new then I don't know where they would locate. Any insight?

Also, I would really like to see a Boston Market in LR.

North LR, Bryant, Jacksonville, and Conway all have them.

Little Rock doesn't have a Lowe's yet. It is has been rumored that Lowe's wants to build on Hwy 10 in West LR. Part of the problem is the lack of big box locations and competition from Home Depot in West LR. The Hwy 10 area would be ideal, I would think.

I think so. I kind of thought that Promenade at Chenal might end up being the kind of development that might include these but it sounds like it's up in the air.

A lot of the reason that LR doesn't have th restaurants you're talking about is that new development has been stalled for years waiting for the whole Summit Mall issue to settle. Now that is has I think we'll see most of the stores and restaurants we're talking about end up in new developments over the next few years. If all of the developments on the board right now come to pass, even subtracting one or two, there are a huge number of new restaurants coming into the market.

North LR, Bryant, Jacksonville, and Conway all have them.

Little Rock doesn't have a Lowe's yet. It is has been rumored that Lowe's wants to build on Hwy 10 in West LR. Part of the problem is the lack of big box locations and competition from Home Depot in West LR. The Hwy 10 area would be ideal, I would think.

From my point of view, this is one market. So the fact that there are 4 or 5 in the metro and not one technically in LR doesn't get me all out of sorts...

I think so. I kind of thought that Promenade at Chenal might end up being the kind of development that might include these but it sounds like it's up in the air.

A lot of the reason that LR doesn't have th restaurants you're talking about is that new development has been stalled for years waiting for the whole Summit Mall issue to settle. Now that is has I think we'll see most of the stores and restaurants we're talking about end up in new developments over the next few years. If all of the developments on the board right now come to pass, even subtracting one or two, there are a huge number of new restaurants coming into the market.

On the subject of upscale eateries and retailers, the main reason I think Little Rock would do well with this is its government presence. Capital cities typically represent money, and they have plenty of wealthy politicians living within their city limits. Not only that, but there are other government jobs that pay well aside from those of politicians. Assistants to politicians are typically paid very well: PR reps, personal assistants, etc. Whenever I think of a "government town," or in this case "government city," I immediately think wealth. Given that, it seems the market there is more ripe for such developments than even my own.

By the way... not to get off-topic here, but how is the Little Rock Zoo? Is it nice? I'm considering a drive to the Caldwell Zoo in Tyler, TX tomorrow, but it could possibly rain part of the day. I'm not sure about the weather in Little Rock, but Little Rock is only one hour further from me than Tyler. Does anyone honestly think it's worth a 3-hour drive? If so, I MIGHT try to do that tomorrow.

Edit: I see Little Rock is poised for storms tomorrow as well. *sigh* I might have to write that off as well. Looks like I may be staying home tomorrow... reluctantly.

On the subject of upscale eateries and retailers, the main reason I think Little Rock would do well with this is its government presence. Capital cities typically represent money, and they have plenty of wealthy politicians living within their city limits. Not only that, but there are other government jobs that pay well aside from those of politicians. Assistants to politicians are typically paid very well: PR reps, personal assistants, etc. Whenever I think of a "government town," or in this case "government city," I immediately think wealth. Given that, it seems the market there is more ripe for such developments than even my own.

By the way... not to get off-topic here, but how is the Little Rock Zoo? Is it nice? I'm considering a drive to the Caldwell Zoo in Tyler, TX tomorrow, but it could possibly rain part of the day. I'm not sure about the weather in Little Rock, but Little Rock is only one hour further from me than Tyler. Does anyone honestly think it's worth a 3-hour drive? If so, I MIGHT try to do that tomorrow.

Edit: I see Little Rock is poised for storms tomorrow as well. *sigh* I might have to write that off as well. Looks like I may be staying home tomorrow... reluctantly.

Well, not so great really. It was probably competitive or even exceptional 30 years ago when I was a kid, but now.....no way. It has some great bones as many of the original constructs were from the CCC days and are all stone. Upgrades a few years ago maintained and built on this aesthetic, but most unfortuntately, the zoo constructed a new entry and gate, and it has to be the worst thing I've seen built as a public works project in a long time. It is a vinyl-sided, plastic windowed abomination. It looks like a crummy house in a cookie-cutter neighborhood and has no relation or context to what one would expect to see at a zoo, nor more specifically to the Little Rock zoo aesthetic proper. I'll give the architects the benefit of the doubt, as sometimes budget or clients dictate the outcome, but the zoo officials should be embarassed....its the front entrance for crying out loud! An example of a fantastic city project is the War Memorial Fitness Center directly across from the new main entrance (built about 10 years ago), which maintained the stone aesthetic of the park. Beautiful project.

Anyway....I digress. Its not great now, but personally, the zoo would be my preference for the next great county-wide public improvement project, and the opportunity is ripe now that the Travelers are moving from Ray-Winder field in War Memorial Park to a new downtown facility. It needs $30M or so to really make it a legitimate destination, and frankly, to create something thats appropriate for the animals. My assessment is that it currently teeters on that line between either making it great or shutting it down.

At the top of my list:

Retail:

J Crew (WHY don't we have this yet?)

Brooks Brothers

Clarks (shoes)

REI (dreaming)

Anthropology (for my wife)

Macy's

Restaurants:

Cheesecake Factory

Good Italian food in general (something that is severly lacking IMO)

I was just in a REI a few days ago in Albuquerque. They are pretty nice stores. Although I can't complain about Packrat here in Fayetteville. Isn't there a Lewis & Clark around Little Rock? I admit I'm not as familiar with them even though we have several up here in NWA. I usually stick with Packrat or wait till I go on one of my several trips to Albuquerque each year.

I was just in a REI a few days ago in Albuquerque. They are pretty nice stores. Although I can't complain about Packrat here in Fayetteville. Isn't there a Lewis & Clark around Little Rock? I admit I'm not as familiar with them even though we have several up here in NWA. I usually stick with Packrat or wait till I go on one of my several trips to Albuquerque each year.

There's a Lewis and Clark going into Midtowne. There's a local place Ozark Outdoor in the Heights that's pretty similar. There are a few other stores, like Sportsmart, Academy, and Sports Authority where you can buy most of the stuff you can at those stores. There's also a Gander Mountain in Sherwood. Bass Pro will trump all of these, I would think.

Well, not so great really. It was probably competitive or even exceptional 30 years ago when I was a kid, but now.....no way. It has some great bones as many of the original constructs were from the CCC days and are all stone. Upgrades a few years ago maintained and built on this aesthetic, but most unfortuntately, the zoo constructed a new entry and gate, and it has to be the worst thing I've seen built as a public works project in a long time. It is a vinyl-sided, plastic windowed abomination. It looks like a crappy house in a low-income neighborhood and has no relation or context to what one would expect to see at a zoo, nor more specifically to the Little Rock zoo aesthetic proper. The zoo officials should be embarassed....its the front entrance for crying out loud! An example of a fantastic city project is the War Memorial Fitness Center directly across from the new main entrance (built about 10 years ago), which maintained the stone aesthetic of the park. Beautiful project.

Anyway....I digress. Its not great now, but personally, the zoo would be my preference for the next great county-wide public improvement project, and the opportunity is ripe now that the Travelers are moving from Ray-Winder field in War Memorial Park to a new downtown facility. It needs $30M or so to really make it a legitimate destination, and frankly, to create something thats appropriate for the animals. My assessment is that it currently teeters on that line between either making it great or shutting it down.

There is still hope.

ZOO NEWS RELEASE

The Little Rock Zoo is proud to announce it will maintain accreditation for another five years from the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA).

The Little Rock Zoo was granted accreditation today by a twelve-person accreditation commission of AZA. Accreditation hearings are held every five years for AZA member institutions. The Little Rock Zoo was granted accreditation in 2001 but was required to go through the entire process again in 2006 to maintain its accreditation.

Earlier this year, the Zoo was required to submit all formal documents and records outlining Zoo policies and procedures for animal care, safety, and conservation as well as policies covering staff safety, guest services, and future development plans for the Zoo.

In July of this year, the Zoo was inspected by a three-person team from AZA selected by the accreditation commission to be the

Archived