What Stores/Restaurants does LR still need?

Cru Jones

They seem perfect since they will both be "Big Box" retail centers.

Agreed. I like Panera and wouldn't mind getting a couple. I've never had Atlanta Bread because I've never lived in a place that had them, DFW doesn't. I've only seen them a couple places outside of NWA and Atlanta.

I don't think either of these could touch Boulevard Bread, though. That's a unique place with real gourmet food for about the same price as Panera.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed. I like Panera and wouldn't mind getting a couple. I've never had Atlanta Bread because I've never lived in a place that had them, DFW doesn't. I've only seen them a couple places outside of NWA and Atlanta.

I don't think either of these could touch Boulevard Bread, though. That's a unique place with real gourmet food for about the same price as Panera.

Agreed about Boulevard. Their chef recently won a local "cook-off", unofficially making him the best gourmet chef in Little Rock.

• 5 months later...

I thought it was a good time for a bump-up of this thread.

I think the biggest restaurant needs are for a prime steakhouse or two and for more seafood and Italian and I think we'll see several of these restaurants over the next year or two.

Specifically, I'm betting on Carabba's, Ruth's Chris, Fish City Grill, and Cantina Laredo to enter the marekt soon. We're all hoping for Cheesecake Factory but we need just the right development for that. Dave and Buster's may just be a rumor but I think it's all on our wish lists.

I think the biggest restaurant needs are for a prime steakhouse or two and for more seafood and Italian and I think we'll see several of these restaurants over the next year or two.

Specifically, I'm betting on Carabba's, Ruth's Chris, Fish City Grill, and Cantina Laredo to enter the marekt soon. We're all hoping for Cheesecake Factory but we need just the right development for that. Dave and Buster's may just be a rumor but I think it's all on our wish lists.

I agree with all of that. I'm still waiting to hear about a good sports bar coming to downtown NLR near the new ballpark and Alltel. It just seems like a no brainer. How many cities have a basketball/ arena football venue within walking distance of a minor league baseball park and an entertainment district without a sports bar in a 5 mile radius.

I would really like LR to get a Panera. They have great sandwiches and breakfast items. I am really surprised LR does not have one already. I would also like to get a Taco Cabana. I ate there all the time when I lived in Tusa. It is good food, quick and inexpensive. For a guilty pleasure, I wish we had a Krystal's.

As far as retail, I would like to see a JCrew. I think Midtowne would be the perfect location. I would also like to see a World Market. Z Gallerie would be nice as well, but I see World Market as more likely for the market.

I'm a fan of Taco Cabana. They're pretty limited to TX, OK, and NM right now but I could see them moving into AR. I'd love to have one in LR. I wouldn't be shocked to see Panera or something like it in Promenade at Chenal. There are no fast food restaurants easily accessible from Chenal, most are 10 min or more away. I could see several "fast casual" places like Panera, Chipotle/Qdoba, Pei Wei, etc doing well there.

I'm a fan of Taco Cabana. They're pretty limited to TX, OK, and NM right now but I could see them moving into AR. I'd love to have one in LR. I wouldn't be shocked to see Panera or something like it in Promenade at Chenal. There are no fast food restaurants easily accessible from Chenal, most are 10 min or more away. I could see several "fast casual" places like Panera, Chipotle/Qdoba, Pei Wei, etc doing well there.

I would really like LR to get a Panera. They have great sandwiches and breakfast items. I am really surprised LR does not have one already. I would also like to get a Taco Cabana. I ate there all the time when I lived in Tusa. It is good food, quick and inexpensive. For a guilty pleasure, I wish we had a Krystal's.

As far as retail, I would like to see a JCrew. I think Midtowne would be the perfect location. I would also like to see a World Market. Z Gallerie would be nice as well, but I see World Market as more likely for the market.

There used to be a few Krystals in LR. As a kid I distinctly going to the one in downtown NLR near where Alltel Arena is now. There used to be a giant car 50 foot up in the air advertising a used care company. Turned out it was filled with thousands of embezzled dollars in cash.

I never much cared for Krystals. I occasionally get one when I'm in New Orleans or Memphis and I generally kind of regret it. You'll never convince me it's really meat.

I agree with all of that. I'm still waiting to hear about a good sports bar coming to downtown NLR near the new ballpark and Alltel. It just seems like a no brainer. How many cities have a basketball/ arena football venue within walking distance of a minor league baseball park and an entertainment district without a sports bar in a 5 mile radius.

Abuelo's, Copeland's, Fish City Grill & BWW are fine w/ me. I can do w/o Red Robin & O'Charley's. There are better burgers to be had in Little Rock.

My friend who is the Apple Rep @ CompUSA believes Little Rock may be one of the next target areas for an Apple Store. I would also like to see a Dunkin Donuts & Bonefish Grill. Personally, I believe the food @ Hard Rock sucks -- it's really just a tourist trap.

I see a lot of people noting how Little Rock doesn't have all these chain places that NWA has. It seems to me that the Little Rock restaurant scene is a little more inclined to the locally owned eateries, whereas the NWA market craves the national chains. It sort of reflects the mood of each region. Fayetteville is certainly the exception in NWA.

Of course, I have strong opinions on the local vs. chain restaurant debate.

I agree with you on local vs chain restaurants. Chains have their place but you can't beat the hands-on attention you get from an entrepreneur. Looking at the success of young chefs like Donnie Ferneau, Eric Issac and James Hale you have to believe Little Rock is doing great for a city of its size. I find it difficult to understand how you can be excited over some chain coming to town.

I agree with you on local vs chain restaurants. Chains have their place but you can't beat the hands-on attention you get from an entrepreneur. Looking at the success of young chefs like Donnie Ferneau, Eric Issac and James Hale you have to believe Little Rock is doing great for a city of its size. I find it difficult to understand how you can be excited over some chain coming to town.

There are niches where I prefer chains. Cheesecake Factory would offer something LR wouldn't have otherwise.

That said, I generally prefer local places. PF Chang's isn't as good as Fantastic China or Chi's. Shogun's, Kobe, and Benihana can't do sushi as well as Mt Fuji or Sekisui. Corky's can't hold Whole Hog's jock. The best seafood place in town is Cajun's and no Italian could approach Capeo.

LR is blessed with terrific indy restaurants in lots of genres.

Archived