Palmetto Bank Moving Headquarters to Downtown Greenville!

goodbye

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

okay, here is the quick scoop ..

Palmetto is HQed in Laurens, so they will demolish the existing Palmetto branch at Church & E. North and build a 4 story building on that site. Rendering looks good. Reminded me of Carolina First building at McBee and Main.

This is good news, but I wish they would anchor the Pinnacle or Main @ McBee project instead. It would also be nice if this building were a little taller.

okay, here is the quick scoop ..

Palmetto is HQed in Laurens, so they will demolish the existing Palmetto branch at Church & E. North and build a 4 story building on that site. Rendering looks good. Reminded me of Carolina First building at McBee and Main.

This is good news, but I wish they would anchor the Pinnacle or Main @ McBee project instead. It would also be nice if this building were a little taller.

They may have been part of earlier tower proposals, but obviously those plans have not come to fruition, and Palmetto Bank is ready to make the move. I have been expecting Palmetto Bank to move to Greenville for quite a long while now, but didn't know exactly when they would make the official announcement. Considering the change it will make to that corner, I am not terribly disappointed in the size of the building, although a mixed-use tower would have really made the most impact along the North Street & Church Street corridors. Now the other parking lots on the two blocks neighboring this site need to be developed into creative mixed-use spaces.

This has been in the works for a while, and developers have been trying to land them in their projects. I was wondering when this aanouncement would finally be made. I had heard that an earlier proposal didn't make it past the DPC. Not sure if it offically came before them or if the met with them unoffcially and were told that it would be declined if brought forward. I would assume this plan should have no problem pasing DPC if it has not already.

I understand the economics of the move. Palmetto Bank has grown trememdously, and it makes sense to move their headquarters to Greenville. However, I wonder what economic impact this will have on Laurens (if any.) The town has already suffered job loss due to plant closings, etc.

Even though there may not be any substantial employment change, there may still be a sense of loss of their hometown institution.

For the record, I grew up in Laurens, and Palmetto was the only bank I knew as a child. I knew the Pattersons, and will always associate the bank with Laurens.

Laurens County is developing a new county business park similar to Pickens County. I expect Laurens to have as much success as Pickens once it takes off. That being said, there will obviously be a sense of loss after this move. I think it is clearly the right move for the business though. Palmetto Bank is a great bank with the best and most personal service I have experienced anywhere. They will continue to grow in our market as long as they keep such a fantastic attitude. :thumbsup:

Although it is not a highrise, this will certainly be better than the current building. I am excited about the landscaping, and think it will improve that very important intersection a lot.

The thing I was a little disappointed by, but not surprised to hear, is that they will have a parking lot adjacent to the building. I don't know how else they could do it (underground parking for a 4-story structure?!?), but this is downtown and you have to wonder why they couldn't sell at least part of that land instead of making it a sea of asphalt.

Do we know if the new bank will have drive-thru ATMs and/or tellers?

Anyone have any thoughts on why this company was not able to be incorperated as an anchor for one of the other highrise projects. It seems like this bank would have been just what the doctor ordered for the Pinnacle, or some of the other rumored projects.

Location and visibility to be sure. But undoubtedly included in the decision was that Palmetto Bank already owned this location. They would OWN this location whereas they could only LEASE a Pinnacle location. Judging by the architecture of the current Palmetto Building, they have probably owned it for decades, before DT land prices got so high.

Location and visibility to be sure. But undoubtedly included in the decision was that Palmetto Bank already owned this location. They would OWN this location whereas they could only LEASE a Pinnacle location. Judging by the architecture of the current Palmetto Building, they have probably owned it for decades, before DT land prices got so high.

I believe the commercial components of the Pinnacle building are for sale or lease. They could own the first floor if they wanted to.

Speaking of names on top of buildings, they really need to put something on top of the Landmark building. It makes it look even worse with no name :rolleyes:

They used to have BB&T up there but I guess they took it off when they consolidated. I think the Greenville logo would look neat up there.

I haven't seen the lights running down the top level or a Christmas tree up there in quite a while. To me it will always be the Daniel Building. That's what all us natives still call it.

I think the string of white lights haphazardly strung along the top of the Landmark building around Christmas each year looks bad. Hopefully the BB&T folks took those lights with them.

The crazy thing is that those lights aren't nearly as bad as the multi-colored retro look found on the two Liberty Place buildings (the former Insignia buildings, linkerjpatrick ;)).

I think the string of white lights haphazardly strung along the top of the Landmark building around Christmas each year looks bad. Hopefully the BB&T folks took those lights with them.

The crazy thing is that those lights aren't nearly as bad as the multi-colored retro look found on the two Liberty Place buildings (the former Insignia buildings, linkerjpatrick ;)).

Insignia? Ha! I still call them the US Shelter buildings.

I like those christmas lights they put up on the liberty Place buildings. I don't know why you guys hate them so much. Too me they seem unique and cool and I hope they keep putting them up around Christmas every year. :)

Anyone miss seeing the old Candy Cane/Christmas Tree/Santa Head light garland covered light pole decorations that used to decorate city light poles (especially on main street) many years ago? Yeah, I know they kind of looked like something from National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation but in a sentimental way I miss them. So, what high-rise in Greenville should get the Clark Griswald treatment? ;)

• 2 months later...

Hey guys! G-man is keeping his promise not to join UP and (subsequently) get banned anymore; however, he sent me an e-mail with a rendering of this building. It's not too shabby.

2006-09-22_GreenvilleHQRendering.jpg

I agree with vicupstate. This does resemble the Carolina First building to a great extent. This will be a nice addition to that area. :shades:

Archived