National Geographic's MapMachine

GR_Urbanist

http://plasma.nationalgeographic.com/mapmachine/

I think it's faster than the web based Google or Yahoo maps. You get the standard street maps and overhead photos of cities and towns, but You also get maps showing:

Population density

Farming and natural resources

Weather

Nature and conservation, and more.

GR comes in clear and relatively up to date. Sort of...

Look at a satellite view of DeVos Place. Now zoom in as far as you can go over the save location. :lol:

enjoy!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, thank you, that is pretty cool, and gets bookmarked, I think the shots are much clearer than googlemaps or yahoo. Not sure if actually faster, since the image has to load as you move (scroll) the map in the window, but nice anyway. The images, at least of Greensboro, are quite a bit older than google which is not so up-to-date itself, maybe they are in the process of updating. Thank you again.

The satellite imaging on this is very clear, but is a few years old at least - the building at Fulton/Carlton SE that burned down is still standing!

The images are at least 3-4 years old. It still shows my pool in my back yard. I haven't had a pool for some years now.

I love this map/satellite stuff too! The satellite imaging on this is very clear, but is a few years old at least - the building at Fulton/Carlton SE that burned down is still standing!

Speaking of that building and MapMachine, why does it show a river/stream going through there if you look in the regular map view???

Cool service though, nice one to add to the rest.

Archived