Move the Masters

jungletobacco

I think the Masters is a wonderful thing for Georgia....not only Augusta. So if you had a chance would you keep it in Augusta...which seem to be loosing some of its allure with it vacant downtown or Savannah wich is the most beautiful city in Georgia or Athens with its year-round young energy.(Macon, Columbus too)

I know the Master isnt leaving Augusta but if you had a chance to change that would you?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, since just about all of the mid-sized cities in Georgia are about the same, except for Savannah and possibly Athens, Id say it really wouldnt matter but Augusta seems to be doing fine by me. Id also have to say that I think Augusta's Downtown is actually gaining a little allure, especially since, say the late 80's early 90's. Its packed down there at night and there seems to be new lofts, restaurants, cafes and clubs opening up all the time. Combine that with the possible new twin condo towers on the Riverfront, The new Judicial Center, Library, Canal redevelopment, etc etc. and I think Augusta's downtown has a bright future.

Besides, i dont think the Macon National Golf Club would sound right.

^ The Masters could be in the middle of New Jersey and it would be what it is. The Masters is as big as what the leaders of Augusta National want it to be. Having said that, Savannah is too far south to get the full effect of the Spring transition, which is why Augusta is much more beautiful in April. If any city deserves it, it would be Atlanta, since it was the home of Bobby Jones, and would've been his choice for his golf course. For the record, Augusta is much better situated as the host of the Masters given that it was already a golf resort before the Masters and had already established itself as a major golf city along with Aiken.

I know we're talking of moving the Masters from Augusta, but if we had to just move it from Augusta National then to me the logical choice would be the Augusta Country Club. It sits next door to the Augusta National. If you watch the Masters you can often see the Augusta Country Club (most people don't realize it because the place looks that good). It's an old course (over 100 years) and was the home of the old LPGA Masters (Titleholders) event held every year. Also, many of the same members of the Augusta National are also members of the Country Club.

Another logical contender for me would be Sage Valley Golf Club in Aiken County. Halfway between Augusta and Aiken, it has less members than the Augusta National, and is actually more expensive. It was actually built by a guy who kept waiting on getting admitted to the National but never did, so be built his own course, which he wanted to better---some people say it is.

East Lake Golf Club in Atlanta is the strongest. It has the history and was the former home of Bobby Jones. Plus it's absolutely beautiful and is in the greatest area of Atlanta.

Other than that, I'd move the touranament to Pinehurst in North Carolina or perhaps Winged Foot.

Archived