Lights on Downtown Buildings

Redman84

I've noticed over the past few weeks that it seems there is more prominant lighting on the Wachovia Building at night, I guess to rival the BB&T Building.

But, my question is this...

Because of the shape of the BB&T Building, would anyone else agree with me that is needs to be lit up in mulitple colors? Wouldn't suggest it all the time, but it would be nice to see it lit similar to the way the Empire State Building is....Using the white lights like it is now on most ocasions...but on American History Holidays have it lit in Red/White/Blue. At Christmas time, instead of the building being lit in solid green...add some red lights to it as well. And so on. I personally think it would look pretty good on the nighttime skyline...however that's just my personal opinion, just wondered if anyone else would agree with me.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would love for Two Hannover to be lit up differently on occasions. I'm not sure why they don't do it (besides of course the green they do for the holidays). I cant imagine that obtaining various different colored gels would be terribly expensive. The effect would be dramatic and I think would drive a little bit of interest and pride to downtown, just by something relatively simple.

If I remember correctly, around 2000, the setbacks on BB&T were lit up alternating green and red. Anyone else remember that?

Redman- As far as the lightning on Wachovia goes, I haven't noticed that it has increased. (EDIT - Indeed the upper setbacks are illuminated) Currently there are flood lights that illuminate the facades, but only subtly. I think that issue with making it more prominent is that the majority of exterior only absorbs light and doesn't reflect it. Once we get a few more holes filled, maybe they could trace the major edges of the building with dim lights (similar to a lot of the buildings in Norfolk, VA).

I've known they've (Wachovia Building) had the flood lights for a while, they're pretty bright. Especially when you look into them from the 28th floor at night in the Cardinal Club. It has just seemed to me over the past few weeks while driving into downtown on either Hillsborough St. or Morgan St. that it has seemed brighter and more of the building shows up. I could be completely wrong and much more attentive than before, but thats just the way it appeared.

I wish I knew who to contact regarding the lighting colors on the Hanover-Two Building, but I've got no idea where to start. Any ideas would be great and I'll get right to it.

True. Its always going to depend on the color choices as well as what type of building you're attempting to light.

In the case of the BB&T building, because of the layout of the building, it has the ability to be lit and look good. I like the way its lit now, in solid white through most of the year. I just wish at Christmas they would add red to the existing green theme. As well, I believe holidays such as the 4th of July, Veteran's Day, President's Day, ect. the building should take after NYC's ESB and and Winston Salem's Reynolds Building and go with a red, white, and blue theme.

I'm not saying go all out for all sorts of occasions like NYC's ESB does, because as much as I support finding a cure for Breast Cancer, I just don't think the BB&T Building would look too attractive lit up in Pink.

There is/used to be a big golden "birthday card" in the lobby of the Reynolds Building in W-S from the Empire State Building, saying "Happy birthday to our little brother" or something like that. The Reynolds Building in W-S was actually used as the model for the Empire State Building.

There is/used to be a big golden "birthday card" in the lobby of the Reynolds Building in W-S from the Empire State Building, saying "Happy birthday to our little brother" or something like that. The Reynolds Building in W-S was actually used as the model for the Empire State Building.

Yeah...same architect.

And Durham's CCB building (now Suntrust)---that was also the same architect company from what I understand, too. (Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone!)

Anyone know what color RBC will light up its crown? I think white might just be best for it, considering the building is blue. Any ideas?

I think they should light up the Wachovia or RBC like the Cira Center in philly, I llove the idea of a grid of lights up and down the building, its almost so subtle you don't notice it, I went there, and that was by far the coolest looking building at night (and during the day for that matter).

I think they should light up the Wachovia or RBC like the Cira Center in philly, I llove the idea of a grid of lights up and down the building, its almost so subtle you don't notice it, I went there, and that was by far the coolest looking building at night (and during the day for that matter).

That's pretty cool, and best suited for the Wachovia building since it's skin only absorbs light at night.

Glad to see some people agree with me that the downtown skyline needs some light. If I knew where to start with contacting someone with the Two Hanover building I would...but I'm not quite sure who.

As far as the relationship between the Reynolds Building and ESB...I believe its the Wake County Offices building along Fayetteville St. If you look at it, though it its shape is a little different, it still shares some of the same architechture style as both the Reynolds Building and the Empire State Building.

• 3 months later...
Anyone know why the top of the BB&T Building is not currently lit? I've noticed it over the past week and then again noticed it while watching the news on WRAL this evening. Definitely makes it appear not as tall nor as prominant.

Archived