Hugo Chavez

john_denver

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He did make a fool of himself. He has every right to criticize Bush, but not on U.N time, just like Bush should not criticize Chavez on U.N time. I agree that what Bush is doing is a crime to this nation, but that wasn't the time or the place to bring that up.

I think it was a poor speech and that it did cross diplomatic lines.

I heard one reporter saying that it was like one of the kids in class yelling at the principal to appeal to the cool kids. That it would probably get a lot of kids to laugh, but probably wouldn't make the kid cool. Chavez is trying to appeal to the world right now---too hard in my opinion. I honestly don't know what to make of that guy.

Yes, good summary Snowguy...I agree.

He did make a fool of himself. He has every right to criticize Bush, but not on U.N time, just like Bush should not criticize Chavez on U.N time. I agree that what Bush is doing is a crime to this nation, but that wasn't the time or the place to bring that up.

I think it was a poor speech and that it did cross diplomatic lines.

In one sense I do have some respect for him because it seems like he stands up for the common Venezuelan and for his country's sovereignty but I too also believes he goes too far sometimes.

Sure, he has petro-dollars in his back pocket but one still has to be presidental/diplomatic. If he wants to lead the Latin American revolution, hopefully with positive results, that's fine but be constructive Hugo.

(Maybe Hugo reads UP!)

PS: I think we all learned even the US can't be belligerent and go it alone. People have to work together...even if you don't like them.

Firstly, I didn't get a chance to hear the entire speech.

But from what I've heard from Chavez in the recent past, I've agreed with almost every point he makes. Bush is the biggest bully ever to have held the office of the Presidency, and I for one am glad a foreign leader has the guts to tell the truth.

Let's face it---- in lots of ways, Bush is like the devil.

Thought this may be of some interest:

Chavez boosts heating oil program for US poor

Chavez also called Bush's policies in Iraq criminal, adding he hopes Americans will before long "awaken" and elect a better president. The Venezuelan leader said that while he opposes Bush, the American people "are our friends."

I'll take a Venezuelan who got to power with a reputation of helping people over the sheiks and kings (and psychotic Islamic extremist terrorists) in the Middle East.

Chavez accomplished what he set out to do.... become a player on the world stage, and elevating his stature in the non-aligned world by very loudly pointing out the failings of GW Bush. His speach was a huge success as evidenced by the fact that he got close to 1 minute of applause once he was finished compared to about 15 seconds by Bush.

Bush won the hearts and minds of no one, Chavez won the attention of most of the world and the book he was holding up during his speech has become #2 on the Amazon reading list. (The book is "Hegemony and Survival.") While many Americans will dismiss Chavez this doesn't matter to him, as it is the rest of the world that matters. Americans are the ones suffering at their continued support of GW Bush and Chavez considers they get what the deserve for doing so. In the mean time a lot of the world worships the ground he walks on because he will say what most of the world feels about what America has done at the hands of the "Great Enforcer".

Personally I was quite amused when he called Bush El Diablo, and could still smell the sulfer stench.

Chavez accomplished what he set out to do.... become a player on the world stage, and elevating his stature in the non-aligned world by very loudly pointing out the failings of GW Bush. His speach was a huge success as evidenced by the fact that he got close to 1 minute of applause once he was finished compared to about 15 seconds by Bush.

Bush won the hearts and minds of no one, Chavez won the attention of most of the world and the book he was holding up during his speech has become #2 on the Amazon reading list. (The book is "Hegemony and Survival.") While many Americans will dismiss Chavez this doesn't matter to him, as it is the rest of the world that matters. Americans are the ones suffering at their continued support of GW Bush and Chavez considers they get what the deserve for doing so. In the mean time a lot of the world worships the ground he walks on because he will say what most of the world feels about what America has done at the hands of the "Great Enforcer".

Personally I was quite amused when he called Bush El Diablo, and could still smell the sulfer stench.

I'm a little upset that a congressman didn't get to call Bush "the devil" in public first.

I think all Democrats can also agree that called Bush the devil is a little bit too much. Even my democrat extremist/bush despiser current events teacher thinks it was too much.

Too bad it is a tactic taken right out of Bush's play book, as his administration has implied that an entire religion is corrupt and full of terrorists who are hell bent on destroying our way of life. And I won't even bother to list what he and his cronies have called Americans who disagree with his tactics.

Too bad it is a tactic taken right out of Bush's play book, as his administration has implied that an entire religion is corrupt and full of terrorists who are hell bent on destroying our way of life. And I won't even bother to list what he and his cronies have called Americans who disagree with his tactics.

Hmm, I thought that he was only talking about extremists. That's all I've ever heard him say. Islamic EXTREMISTS. But, ok, w/e. Can't change what you think, I only care what I think (about this subject) anyways. :D

While I am definitely anti-Bush I do think Chavez' rhetoric crossed the line. I had a somewhat neutral opinion of him before, but he has definitely moved over to the negative side. If he had played his cards right he could have had an American public that was somewhat sympathetic towards him, but that opportunity is gone. As far as helping poor Americans with heating oil, I think he needs to look at the extreme poverty in his own country first - and do something about it.

Jerry Falwell over the weekend, equated the former First Lady of the USA, Hillary Clinton to Lucifer. Jerry Falwell is supposed to be a man of God. During the diatribe, he got a ton of laughter from his supporters whom I suppose were in his church. I believe this shows the hypocracy of some who think that it is horrible for Chavez to equate Bush to the devil, but have no problem when a Democrat is called this name.

Are the same critics of Chavez going to criticize Jerry Fallwell? Funny I don't hear them.

Jerry Falwell over the weekend, equated the former First Lady of the USA, Hillary Clinton to Lucifer. Jerry Falwell is supposed to be a man of God. During the diatribe, he got a ton of laughter from his supporters whom I suppose were in his church. I believe this shows the hypocracy of some who think that it is horrible for Chavez to equate Bush to the devil, but have no problem when a Democrat is called this name.

Are the same critics of Chavez going to criticize Jerry Fallwell? Funny I don't hear them.

Amen.

It was a well written post, Metro, and it's hard to respond to it.

My immediate response to what Jerry Falwell was to roll my eyes. What, and I suppose the country is doing so well under his party's control?

Nothing mobilizes the other 80% of America than the ridiculous rantings of Jerry Falwell and his sheep herd.

For me, I guess I just expect Jerry Falwell to be crazy you know? Kind of like Pat Robertson and his healings of people and lifting a ton of weight--they're insane. They look rational and they usually don't sound that crazy when they speak, but neither did Ted Bundy.

I just expect more of the president of another country. If Chavez wants to have any respect he's going to have to respect his office and that of the United Nations. You don't get to call the leaders of other nations schoolyard names, make the sign of the cross as though you're speaking some great truth, and then have the world take you seriously. That's not the way we do things.

Apparently Falwell was speaking at a conference of evangelical Leaders in this country when he equated Hillary Clinton to Lucifer. I note that not one of these "leaders" has spoken out against Falwell's remarks which is a marked difference from the indignant criticism of Chavez for insulting our President.

I've said it before, and I will say it again, I can't believe that anyone that would become a member of this forum would support a party that panders as it does, to this group.

I just expect more of the president of another country. If Chavez wants to have any respect he's going to have to respect his office and that of the United Nations. You don't get to call the leaders of other nations schoolyard names, make the sign of the cross as though you're speaking some great truth, and then have the world take you seriously. That's not the way we do things.

Look at the applause Chavez was given, versus that given to Bush the day before. Then tell me which leader was respected and taken seriously. Chavez put into words what 95% of the people in the room were thinking. Most of the world believes that Bush is the single greatest threat to peace in the world. If he isn't worthy of derision within an organization meant to promote peace, I don't know who is.

Who supports the Republicans? I did for a little bit, but then decided they are too anti-freedom, too anti-liberty, too pro-fundamentialist-christian (they're faking of course), and too anti-free-markets for my beliefs.

They are hardly conservatives.

I do, but, I'm one of those middle of the road people. I tend to lean more to the "right" decisions though.

Archived