Hugo Chavez

john_denver

Look at the applause Chavez was given, versus that given to Bush the day before. Then tell me which leader was respected and taken seriously. Chavez put into words what 95% of the people in the room were thinking. Most of the world believes that Bush is the single greatest threat to peace in the world. If he isn't worthy of derision within an organization meant to promote peace, I don't know who is.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no Bush lover, but I do believe that......there does exist a way to say things without calling your opponent the Prince of Darkness. And to be honest, it doesn't suprise me that he got such an applause becuase he was venting frustrations which most of the world has----me included. But at the end of the day you need to explain yourself in an intelligient way. Yeah, he got an applause at the United Nations, but real good did it do? Did it change the minds of many Americans? Probably not. He was, in essence, simply preaching to the choir the same way Falwell was when he called Hillary Clinton the devil. And all people in America did was roll their eyes the same way they would at Falwell. If Chavez wants to discuss world issues then let him. Let him criticize the Bush administration. All I'm saying is there is a way to do it in a dignififed manner. And I'm getting a little tired of these Satan comparisons myself, although I did once refer to our leader as the Antichrist. Come up with some new material. And what of Chavez anyway? Is he that great of a leader? One of the most oil rich nations on earth and yet most of its people live such a low quality of life? Am I missing something here?

Again, to me, the highest office of a nation deserves a certain amount of respect and I thought his words were beneath that of a national leader.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^One would think you would be upset with your own President for equating his detractors as being no better than the appeasers of Nazis. And just yesterday in an insult to the entire country, he referred to Iraq as just a "comma" in the history books. Tell that to the 3000+ americans that have died there, the 35,000 that are seriously maimed for life, and the 100,000+ dead Iraqis. He is a cold heartless man and honestly the word devil does come to mind when so many have died at his hands.

^ Again, I don't like President Bush. I only argue against what Chavez said because that was the topic of the thread. Believe me, if someone wants to start one on Bush, I'll write on that thing all day. And if he cites his detractors as being Nazis then I guess he is referring to people like myself. I just feel that in a world forum among the most important men and women on earth, that calling people names is immature and detrimental to the issues your espousing. You don't win converts by insults. Bush is cold. For a long time I thought he was a simple man, but I've changed my view of him over the last 6 months; I now see him like you described--as a "cold heartless man." If there were a way to impeach him I would be in support of it. I hate the fact that I live in a country that elected him. In fact, I hate the way my state supported him with well over half the vote. And something tells me that if the election were held to today, the people of Georgia would still vote for Bush; shoot, the people of America would probably still elect him.

Jerry Falwell is not the President of a country; he is a second-rate rent-a-preacher who no one listens to except for people so far inside Bush they can't see the light of day. When he speaks he speaks to the choir. Does Chavez want to end up like that? Or does he want all people to listen to him with an open mind and really try and understand what he's saying?

I just wanted to add that it's horrible what Bush said yesterday. I hadn't heard that yet, but that absolutely uncalled for.

Jerry Falwell is not the President of a country; he is a second-rate rent-a-preacher who no one listens to except for people so far inside Bush they can't see the light of day. When he speaks he speaks to the choir. Does Chavez want to end up like that? Or does he want all people to listen to him with an open mind and really try and understand what he's saying?

Chavez spoke his mind and it reflects what most of the world feels about Bush. It is refreshing for him to be blunt about it and the 1 minute applause that he got in the UN is a sign that most of the world's leaders felt it was OK for him to give such a speech. The fact that Bush withdrew the US delegation before the speech even occured only highlights this administration's failures on the world stage. Chavez knew exactly what he was doing and his speech accomplished it exactly.

In regards, to Falwell, he is one of the founders of the "religious right" in this country which is hell bent on getting their morals legistated into law by voting only for people that listen to them. Every Republican congressman who voted for the amendment to the constitution to discriminate specifically against Gays are the same people who are listening to Falwell. By my count, that is just short of 50% of the congress. A damn shame.

^ I agree, he accomplished what he wanted to do---well most of what he wanted to do, I guess we'll have to wait and see whether or not his country is appointed to the security seat. What it boils down to for me is that Chavez needs to be careful. I don't really know enough about the man to like or dislike him. But I do feel that needs to measure his words a bit so that he can become someone who is listened to on a serious level by people.

I guess there are many who take what Falwell says seriously, which is a shame indeed.

In an interview on this where Falwell defended his speach, he said that a number of GOP leaders where there including Senator Rick Santorum and Senator George Allen. Indeed some people do listen to Falwell. I note that both of these assholes are in very tight races for what was once almost a guaranteed seat. Senator Sam Brownback was there as well. No doubt if one were to get the attendence list for this little party, one would find a lot of the GOP leadership there.

I note that Hugo Chavez was not invited to this event. :lol:

In an interview on this where Falwell defended his speach, he said that a number of GOP leaders where there including Senator Rick Santorum and Senator George Allen. Indeed some people do listen to Falwell. I note that both of these assholes are in very tight races for what was once almost a guaranteed seat. Senator Sam Brownback was there as well. No doubt if one were to get the attendence list for this little party, one would find a lot of the GOP leadership there.

I note that Hugo Chavez was not invited to this event. :lol:

I hear you. I guess I don't give these guys enough credit for influencing large amounts of people---or maybe I give the general public too much credit for not listening to people who are insane. Kind of like when Pat Robertson was talking about assasinating Chavez, the standard Republican line was, well, no one really listens to him. The week before he'd been a special guest on Hannity and Colmes..... :blink:

Archived