Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Allan

Book Building to be Converted into Lofts

I don't have a pic of the Book Building uploaded. I'll look to see if I can find one when I get home. I do have a pic of the adjoining Book Tower though.

093093_G.jpg

Actaully the Book Building can be seen, as it is shorter building attached to Book Tower on the right side. I hope that Book Tower gets a bath...it is by far the dirtiest building in the skyline.

I was just wondering if the Book Tower and building were too separate complexes, so that pic works for me.

Btw, yes, the Book tower could definately benefit from a good scrubbing.

Actually it does look like part of the building has been cleaned, although the other part still needs a really good scrubbing. Maybe we need to hold a forum "clean Book Tower" meet this summer. LOL.

The Book Building, Book Tower, & the Book-Cadillac Hotel were all designed by Detroit architect Louis Kamper. The buildings were built as part of the Book brothers' vision to revitalize Washington Boulevard. Now it looks like Washington Boulevard is getting revitalized again. :)

I'd love to rent an apartment there as well! Maybe I will someday. You never know.

The tower has been criticized over the years because of its massing, but I like it. And as ugly as the communications equipment is on the top, it probably is what saved the building from being totally vacated when the rest of downtown died.

There are two good things coming out of the project:

1) Book Tower's occupancy rate will rise as a result of offices being moved from the Book Building to Book Tower.

2) More lofts for downtown!

http://www.booktowerdetroit.com/

Book Tower was actually only part of a plan to revitalize Washington Boulevard in the 1920s. The plans also included a 81 story tower that was never built because of the Depression.

personally, i like the obnoxious communication equipment at the top, something that seems so wrong, but seems so right on washington blvd, and detroit for that matter

Haha! In a way you're right.