Nashville and Austin; Sister cities?

erdogs

It seems as if Austin and Nashville are both up an coming cities with great music traditions. I know that Austin is closer to to Rock and Nashville is Country. But I view both as Southern with there own nationally known identities. Am I off the reservation with this one? I would like to hear people's views on this.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(I mean really, I bet most people think the longhorns could beat the Titan's, right? The titans couldn't even compete in I-AA!)

Being a little harsh, aren't you? I'm a Titans season ticket holder, and I'm resigned to it being a long, tough season. But, I'm confident the Titans will be back, maybe sooner than most people believe possible.

Erdogs, you ought to get up to Dallas. I think they've done a lot of great things in McKinney Ave and Uptown areas. It's small in comparison to Atlanta's Midtown/BH/Lenox, but I like how mixed use pockets have sprung up at key points all the way up to Northpark Mall. They can use the DART line much more for future development, but I give Dallas a lot of props for how far they've come in a short time. True, there's a lot of inertia to urban development in Texas in general. But then, I guess a lot of that comes from having all that land available to roam.

BTW, I really like Austin too. I've been there about a dozen times and the last time was about 4 years ago. It now appears that the DT and the university are finally growing together. I drove through there on a Sunday, so things were pretty dead. Greatest state capitol in the country. Love the parkland around it too.

On that note, another similarity is that they have the two of the four most architecturally significant capitols in the country. The other two are VA and CA.

I agree that there are lots of similarities b/n Nashville and Austin. One more similarity is that both cities could do a lot more with their riverfronts. Now, Austin is much farther ahead in using the Colorado for leisure than Nashville is with the Cumberland. Hey, there's another similarity... both cities are on rivers that start with C.

And as my wife would make very clear, THE University of Tennessee is in Knoxville. She grew up there.

They are certainly similar, but it's a little bit of a stretch to call them sister cities. Austin is much more politically progressive, and the university presence is a lot stronger (Texas has 50,000 students!). There is a signficant "countercultural" presence in Austin that isn't so prominent here.

they are viewed as the most liberal cities in their states.

Justice I have to ask where you got this idea... Nashville the most liberal city in Tennessee??? :rofl: What happened to the Democratic stronghold of Memphis??

I too think it's a stretch to call Nashville and Austin "sister cities". They're both capital cities and they're in hilly terrain, but that's as far as the similarities go IMO. You'd never see a "Keep Nashville Weird" slogan championed by the city. Austin is very laid-back and prides themselves on their counter-cultural elements. Nashville is much more trendy, appearance-conscious, and much more "East". It's almost like comparing L.A. and NYC, but on a much, much smaller scale.

The complete failure of this topic in the Austin forum is also notable...

Justice I have to ask where you got this idea... Nashville the most liberal city in Tennessee??? :rofl: What happened to the Democratic stronghold of Memphis??

I too think it's a stretch to call Nashville and Austin "sister cities". They're both capital cities and they're in hilly terrain, but that's as far as the similarities go IMO. You'd never see a "Keep Nashville Weird" slogan championed by the city. Austin is very laid-back and prides themselves on their counter-cultural elements. Nashville is much more trendy, appearance-conscious, and much more "East". It's almost like comparing L.A. and NYC, but on a much, much smaller scale.

The complete failure of this topic in the Austin forum is also notable...

Even if Nashville is a bit more suitcase, she can still put on her shades too. If you spend some time on the larger campuses (i.e. Vanderbuilt, MTSU, TSU) you could observe the counter-culture element first hand. I don't see where the New York and Los Angeles comparison comes in, but having been to both cities, I do understand where the trendy and image conscious ideas come to play. The failure of this topic is not a failure. The Austin thread clearly says "versus," and it is to my understanding that versus threads are not allowed. This is why no one is responding to this thread on the Austin forum. And as far as Memphis is concerned, I will not comment because this thread has nothing to do with Memphis.

The Austin thread clearly says "versus," and it is to my understanding that versus threads are not allowed. This is why no one is responding to this thread on the Austin forum.

:shades: The Austin thread does not say "versus!" The reason that the whole site doesn't get many hits, is because few people here know about it. Also the people here are too busy getting drunk to bother. :lol:

:shades: The Austin thread does not say "versus!" The reason that the whole site doesn't get many hits, is because few people here know about it. Also the people here are too busy getting drunk to bother. :lol:

"Hello,

Will from Nashville here. Just wanted to alert you guys about a topic on our forum of the same name. Just wanted to hear input from you guys. Obviously, if we created this topic it means that we hold Austin in a high regard. So, please join in....

Nashville v Austin / Sister cities?

P.S.-- even though we already started the controversy (sorry), let's leave football out of this. Let's talk about our beautiful cities!

P.S.S.--Thanks for Vince Young!!!" (nashvillwill)

and that's what was said.

"Hello,

Will from Nashville here. Just wanted to alert you guys about a topic on our forum of the same name. Just wanted to hear input from you guys. Obviously, if we created this topic it means that we hold Austin in a high regard. So, please join in....

Nashville v Austin / Sister cities?

P.S.-- even though we already started the controversy (sorry), let's leave football out of this. Let's talk about our beautiful cities!

P.S.S.--Thanks for Vince Young!!!" (nashvillwill)

and that's what was said.

The main topic thread does not say that. Read the headline before you read the commentary. The topic has nothing to do with versus one or the other. It's about similarities, thats all.

The main topic thread does not say that. Read the headline before you read the commentary. The topic has nothing to do with versus one or the other. It's about similarities, thats all.

If that's what the topic is truly about then it wouldn't have been said, period. Versus threads are pointless and only focus on why a city is better or worse than others, not where the cities in comparison are similar or what their strong points are. I believe you would have to be blind not to see the similarities between these nice cities, in fact I think it's kind of neat they share so much in common.

If that's what the topic is truly about then it wouldn't have been said, period. Versus threads are pointless and only focus on why a city is better or worse than others, not where the cities in comparison are similar or what their strong points are. I believe you would have to be blind not to see the similarities between these nice cities, in fact I think it's kind of neat they share so much in common.

Thank you! :thumbsup: That was the point of the thread in the first place. I agree, having pissing contests about which city is better only invites hostility. I can't control if someone takes it another way. I'm a peaceful, and humble person. :)

Look how close both cities are compatible in statistics and in pictures

Races in Nashville-Davidson:

White Non-Hispanic (64.0%) Estimated population in July 2005: 549,110

Black (26.8%)

Hispanic (4.7%)

Estimated population in July 2005: 690,252

Races in Austin:

White Non-Hispanic (52.9%)

Hispanic (30.5%)

Black (10.0%)

Austin austin_skyline1.jpgAustin-Texas-Moon_1_.jpgtexas-state-capitol-2a.jpglake_austin.jpgLake%20Austin%20Houses.jpg Nashville nashville-skyline.jpgnashville.jpgn%2002%20c%20cap%20bldg.jpgNashville_Skyline_at_Night.jpg366NL%20Nashville%20Skyline.jpgnash12b1.JPG

I'm not sure what TexasTea's point was, but I think the stats bear out a lot of the differences betwen the two. Aside from the inaccurately low population of Nashville (it's more like 610K a/o 2005), the cities are more different than similar. Somebody has mentioned the counterculture. On the flip side is the real sense that Nashville is a more refined city. Plus, you would never have as gorgeous an autumn in Austin. Also, the music business in Austin is puny compared to Nashville's. Interestingly, when I was at Vandy, all my friends back in Atlanta said that Nashville was a little Dallas. Never did I hear comparisons b/n Austin.

I have lived in Austin and I don't really find the two cities very close in feeling. You can of course use the types of ecomomy as a point to talk about similarities. Austin was a very small town that was laid out on a flat plain in a grid. It is a much more logical city to find your way around. It became a large city only over the past 25-30 years. It has a newness to it that has more of the feeling that Charlotte has. The city has two north south routes through it and no real east-west arteries. The city is literally divided east-west by I-35 East are Blacks and Hispanics, West are Whites. The only exception is that there is an appartment district for Texas students in the SE part of the city. The hills are to the west and that is where all the money is. It has two very large colleges. In addition to UT there is a comunity college that allows many students to take crib versions of classes that will tranfer to UT. Other interesting points are the Grackles, the bats, and the cricket mating season. Then of course there is Hippy Hollow, the clothing optional area on the lake. Picture Percy Priest with a nudist beach.

I have lived in Austin and I don't really find the two cities very close in feeling. You can of course use the types of ecomomy as a point to talk about similarities. Austin was a very small town that was laid out on a flat plain in a grid. It is a much more logical city to find your way around. It became a large city only over the past 25-30 years. It has a newness to it that has more of the feeling that Charlotte has. The city has two north south routes through it and no real east-west arteries. The city is literally divided east-west by I-35 East are Blacks and Hispanics, West are Whites. The only exception is that there is an appartment district for Texas students in the SE part of the city. The hills are to the west and that is where all the money is. It has two very large colleges. In addition to UT there is a comunity college that allows many students to take crib versions of classes that will tranfer to UT. Other interesting points are the Grackles, the bats, and the cricket mating season. Then of course there is Hippy Hollow, the clothing optional area on the lake. Picture Percy Priest with a nudist beach.

I agree. I think they are totally different. Once you get west of the Mississippi River...things change. Out of all my travels...I think Nashville is Nashville....which is a good thing.

Archived