Nashville and Austin; Sister cities?

erdogs

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

from pictures alone.. i would say nashville looks more urban than austin.

just from picture stand point.

Perhaps, but I think Austin offers more to the pedestrian. In my experience, Austin has done a better job of preserving historic low- and mid-rise buildings which front the street. Austin has some good midrise infill, where Nashville's core is really lagging aside from highrises. If you're speaking in terms of skyline or appearance of density from a distance, yes, Nashville 'looks more urban.'

• 3 weeks later...

Actually that camera angle of Austin's Skyline is not the most impressive and dosn't show the full scale of our urban core. Also those are old pictures and don't even have the Frost Bank Tower in them wich is currently our tallest building. These are pictures I took of downtown Austin back in June. Note this was just before the slew of Cranes had gone up that we now have with all of the condo highrise construction Including our new tallest. The first pics are broken into sections of the skyline and then I tried to get the skyline into one shot but failed.

IMG_1523.jpg

IMG_1524.jpg

IMG_1525.jpg

This is the pic that I wasn't able to get the full shot the UT tower is not even in the shot.

JNS_1511.jpg

These pics were taken from another angle further south of downtown.

IMG_1543.jpg

IMG_1544.jpg

IMG_1542.jpg

Ill actually be taking some other pics soon of the skyline within the next month.

I don't see many similarities. Especially politically and religiously. Nashville does not have a land grant institution like Austin. Take away Vanderbilt, and there are no major colleges here. TSU is a HBC and most don't consider HBC's as major colleges. MTSU in Murfreesboro is a regional university with less recognition than Memphis or Vanderbilt. The skylines are similar, but Austin looks greener and more lush without the urban grit.

• 7 months later...
Actually that camera angle of Austin's Skyline is not the most impressive and dosn't show the full scale of our urban core. Also those are old pictures and don't even have the Frost Bank Tower in them wich is currently our tallest building. These are pictures I took of downtown Austin back in June. Note this was just before the slew of Cranes had gone up that we now have with all of the condo highrise construction Including our new tallest. The first pics are broken into sections of the skyline and then I tried to get the skyline into one shot but failed.

IMG_1523.jpg

IMG_1524.jpg

IMG_1525.jpg

This is the pic that I wasn't able to get the full shot the UT tower is not even in the shot.

JNS_1511.jpg

These pics were taken from another angle further south of downtown.

IMG_1543.jpg

IMG_1544.jpg

IMG_1542.jpg

Ill actually be taking some other pics soon of the skyline within the next month.

Austin is forever sentenced to second tier status for two reasons. One is the horrible road system and two is that the city is surrounded by Houston, Dallas and San Antonio. I travel there a lot and I really don't get how it ranks so high in the "Best Places" rankings. It reminds me of a big Knoxville.

When you look at Nashville and Austin, you have to agree that Nashville has a much larger economic impact area than Austin.

Austin is forever sentenced to second tier status for two reasons. One is the horrible road system and two is that the city is surrounded by Houston, Dallas and San Antonio. I travel there a lot and I really don't get how it ranks so high in the "Best Places" rankings. It reminds me of a big Knoxville.

When you look at Nashville and Austin, you have to agree that Nashville has a much larger economic impact area than Austin.

I believe there's many similarities and many differences. Population is similar, especially if you look at the metro numbers. Both are fast growing. Both have a thriving music industry, even though Nashville's is probably 10 times the size of Austin's when it comes to numbers of people involved and money spent and made. Both are getting a fair number of corporate relocations. Both are known for higher education (colleges). Nashville thrives in the medical field...not sure about Austin.

Austin is very liberal...Nashville is much more conservative (yes, I know there are many liberals in Nville, just not as high a % as Austin).

Austin weather in the summer is brutal...very hot and very, very humid...much more so than Nashville. Austin has hills, but Nashville's would be considered mountains in comparison. Austin is green with live oak trees, which are hardy and rugged and give the area a sense of the "desert" feel as you head west, while Nashville is very, very lush and green (when it rains) with maples, oaks, hickories, sycamores and walnut trees which give the city a much more "eastern" feel. Nashville also experiences a bit more of the season changes than Austin.

Both cities are state capitols, but Austin is second tier compared to DFW, Houston and San Antonio. Nashville is the big dog of Tennessee (I know Memphians would disagree) with the largest metro numbers in the state (over 1.5 million).

Austin has the University of Texas sports program which is tops in Texas and one of the top 5 in the nation. Nashville has pro sports with the Titans (NFL) and Predators (NHL).

Austin weather in the summer is brutal...very hot and very, very humid...much more so than Nashville. Austin has hills, but Nashville's would be considered mountains in comparison. Austin is green with live oak trees, which are hardy and rugged and give the area a sense of the "desert" feel as you head west, while Nashville is very, very lush and green (when it rains) with maples, oaks, hickories, sycamores and walnut trees which give the city a much more "eastern" feel. Nashville also experiences a bit more of the season changes than Austin.

Erdogs, as I said I come to Austin a lot and downtown street level has a great feel. Also you have some great new highrises going up. Please tell me of some areas that I should visit in Austin that would change my opinon. We would love to have you visit here in Nashville, maybe during the next UP meeting here.

I don't see many similarities. Especially politically and religiously. Nashville does not have a land grant institution like Austin. Take away Vanderbilt, and there are no major colleges here. TSU is a HBC and most don't consider HBC's as major colleges. MTSU in Murfreesboro is a regional university with less recognition than Memphis or Vanderbilt. The skylines are similar, but Austin looks greener and more lush without the urban grit.

Archived