Should Baltimore have it's own NBA team?

bmorescottamanda

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Baltimore had the Bullets in the 70's, then they moved to Landover, and now the they play in DC (they call themselves the Wizards now due to a silly PC name change, but they're still the Bullets to me). Can the Balt/DC metro area support 2 NBA teams? There would need to be a market analysis.

I see where you're coming from, but if we're to follow this silliness, then the Carolina and Miami Hurricanes need to change their names, given the number of people that have been killed in those storms. How about the tomahawk in the Atlanta Braves logo? Should that be airbrushed out? That was used to kill. What about the Miami Heat. Do you know how many people are killed by heat exhaustion each year? That is insensitive. And, given the Steve Irwin tragedy, the SC Stingrays of the ECHL need to change their name, as well.

Not to take this to a silly extreme, but I hope you get my drift. I don't believe naming them team the Bullets caused any increase in the murder rate. However, I realize the times we're living in, and the name Bullets was not going to fly in DC. The irony (to me at least) is that the team is named Wizards, and when I think of the word "wizard", the first thing (after Wizard of Oz) I think of is the "grand wizard" of KKK fame. Now THAT'S evil.

I see where you're coming from, but if we're to follow this silliness, then the Carolina and Miami Hurricanes need to change their names, given the number of people that have been killed in those storms. How about the tomahawk in the Atlanta Braves logo? Should that be airbrushed out? That was used to kill. What about the Miami Heat. Do you know how many people are killed by heat exhaustion each year? That is insensitive. And, given the Steve Irwin tragedy, the SC Stingrays of the ECHL need to change their name, as well.

Not to take this to a silly extreme, but I hope you get my drift. I don't believe naming them team the Bullets caused any increase in the murder rate. However, I realize the times we're living in, and the name Bullets was not going to fly in DC. The irony (to me at least) is that the team is named Wizards, and when I think of the word "wizard", the first thing (after Wizard of Oz) I think of is the "grand wizard" of KKK fame. Now THAT'S evil.

A hurricane is a natural formation. The tomahawk was first and foremost a tool used by certain Native American tribes (which have largely been wiped out). Heat, again, is a natural phenomenon. Stingrays? Again, something found in nature.

The point isn't that naming the team "Bullets" caused an increase in the murder rate, but that, in a way, it served to reinforce the image AND the reality of Baltimore and Washington as violent places, particularly in terms of murder rates. The purpose of guns, and therefore bullets, are to kill--plain and simple. I think the name change was very appropriate.

Archived