Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bmorescottamanda

Should Baltimore have it's own NBA team?

23 posts in this topic

I say yes :) If DC can get it's own baseball team, Baltimore should have a Basketball team.

Interesting thought...especially since we haven't had much of a baseball team in recent years.

:cry:

I think if the NBA ever puts a team in Baltimore it should be called The Baltimore Crabs.

I think if the NBA ever puts a team in Baltimore it should be called The Baltimore Crabs.
I always think of "steamed" crabs; so how 'bout the Baltimore Steamers?

:yahoo:

I always think of "steamed" crabs; so how 'bout the Baltimore Steamers?

:yahoo:

Sounds great I love it. :thumbsup:

If Westport ever takes off. The Power Station is an $8 million environmental/demolition project which isn't covered under any construction loans or funding. The developer has to shell out the money out of his pockets.

If Westport ever takes off. The Power Station is an $8 million environmental/demolition project which isn't covered under any construction loans or funding. The developer has to shell out the money out of his pockets.

Is the project even funded? I don't care if you are Donald Trump, $8 million out of pocket is still a lot of money.

Baltimore had the Bullets in the 70's, then they moved to Landover, and now the they play in DC (they call themselves the Wizards now due to a silly PC name change, but they're still the Bullets to me). Can the Balt/DC metro area support 2 NBA teams? There would need to be a market analysis.

Baltimore had the Bullets in the 70's, then they moved to Landover, and now the they play in DC (they call themselves the Wizards now due to a silly PC name change, but they're still the Bullets to me). Can the Balt/DC metro area support 2 NBA teams? There would need to be a market analysis.

Baltimore had the Bullets in the 70's, then they moved to Landover, and now the they play in DC (they call themselves the Wizards now due to a silly PC name change, but they're still the Bullets to me).

no because that would really put a nail in the coffin of virginia having any professional sports team.and i love the ravens and the orioles

no because that would really put a nail in the coffin of virginia having any professional sports team.and i love the ravens and the orioles

Given the crime rates of both Baltimore and DC, I think the name change was necessary.

I see where you're coming from, but if we're to follow this silliness, then the Carolina and Miami Hurricanes need to change their names, given the number of people that have been killed in those storms. How about the tomahawk in the Atlanta Braves logo? Should that be airbrushed out? That was used to kill. What about the Miami Heat. Do you know how many people are killed by heat exhaustion each year? That is insensitive. And, given the Steve Irwin tragedy, the SC Stingrays of the ECHL need to change their name, as well.

Not to take this to a silly extreme, but I hope you get my drift. I don't believe naming them team the Bullets caused any increase in the murder rate. However, I realize the times we're living in, and the name Bullets was not going to fly in DC. The irony (to me at least) is that the team is named Wizards, and when I think of the word "wizard", the first thing (after Wizard of Oz) I think of is the "grand wizard" of KKK fame. Now THAT'S evil.

I say yes :) If DC can get it's own baseball team, Baltimore should have a Basketball team.

I see where you're coming from, but if we're to follow this silliness, then the Carolina and Miami Hurricanes need to change their names, given the number of people that have been killed in those storms. How about the tomahawk in the Atlanta Braves logo? Should that be airbrushed out? That was used to kill. What about the Miami Heat. Do you know how many people are killed by heat exhaustion each year? That is insensitive. And, given the Steve Irwin tragedy, the SC Stingrays of the ECHL need to change their name, as well.

Not to take this to a silly extreme, but I hope you get my drift. I don't believe naming them team the Bullets caused any increase in the murder rate. However, I realize the times we're living in, and the name Bullets was not going to fly in DC. The irony (to me at least) is that the team is named Wizards, and when I think of the word "wizard", the first thing (after Wizard of Oz) I think of is the "grand wizard" of KKK fame. Now THAT'S evil.

A hurricane is a natural formation. The tomahawk was first and foremost a tool used by certain Native American tribes (which have largely been wiped out). Heat, again, is a natural phenomenon. Stingrays? Again, something found in nature.

The point isn't that naming the team "Bullets" caused an increase in the murder rate, but that, in a way, it served to reinforce the image AND the reality of Baltimore and Washington as violent places, particularly in terms of murder rates. The purpose of guns, and therefore bullets, are to kill--plain and simple. I think the name change was very appropriate.