Reopening of the Superdome

nola17

I was really impressed with the opening of the Superdome. I didn't think it would reopen. It was a nice surprise that they were able to repair it and perhaps even improve it. Another nice surprise the Saints won by such a large margin. It definitely improves New Orleans and its prospects for recovery in my mind. We can only hope that one of our greatest cities will return.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard from somewhere that fema supplied the money for the dome repairs because New Orleans needed a sort of economic base to generate revenues for the city.

FEMA did not provide money because of this. The Superdome was intitled to this money because FEMA approved it as an evacuation facility. In doing so, they made the agency liable to repair amages. I know... weird, but there was no choice in the matter. They had to reimburse... no FEMA money was pulled away from other needs. The fact that a repaired Superdome serves as a great economic stimulus is an innocent by-product of the situation.

^It is weird, but when you think about it that way, it really is true, a stadium (arena, etc.) does present a good evacuation facility, provided it is not in some peril itself, I never thought of it that way. From now on, should it become necesary for a public place like that to be used for this purpose, lets hope it would be better protected (policed).

• 8 months later...

Plan Afoot to Move Saints to New Stadium in East New Orleans

This is the first I have heard of a plan to more the Saints to a new arena in east New Orleans. While I agree that a large stadium might be good for the economy of that area, I think it would not be a good thing for downtown New Orleans. Keep the Superdome where it is and use it as it has been used in the past. The infrastructure is already there. Why build a new arena? If the Superdome is really outdated already, then take it down and rebuild in the same location. Dropping it like a bomb on suburbia would not help the city as a whole.

The Sun Herald

Tom, there really is no "plan" to build a new stadium in New Orleans east, it's just an idea. No more serious than the plan for the riverfront stadium on the eastbank and the west. Most people in New Orleans want to keep the Superdome, and if there were to be a new stadium, most would not want to see it in the east. The majority here would greatly prefer to see the money that would be spent on a new stadium spent to make the Superdome a world class facility once again.

Keep the Superdome where it is and use it as it has been used in the past. The infrastructure is already there. Why build a new arena? If the Superdome is really outdated already, then take it down and rebuild in the same location. Dropping it like a bomb on suburbia would not help the city as a whole.

^Yes, the Superdome is in a perfect location! And plenty of $money was already spent on the renovations and repairs. But a retractable-roof stadium would be great!!! Let the sun shine down on dem Saints. I guess I can always dream. The "idea" in the East is foolish.

Are you guys familiar with what Chicago did with the historic Soldier Field?

Soldier Field to them is the Dome to us; historic, fantastic location, important to the fans, etc. So instead of simply building a new stadium somewhere else, Chicago and Illinois put together a plan that managed to make Soldier Field just as good as any brand new stadium out there, but still kept Soldier Field and everything that the fans their loved about it. They basically managed to build an entirely new stadium within the shell of the old one; that cost $587 million and took more than two years to complete. That's what I'd like to see happen with the Superdome; keep "the Dome" but make everything within it just as good, if not better, than anything you'll see at the most modern NFL stadiums. Also, make the exterior of the stadium really "shine" by putting glass around the plaza level, new exterior materials to make it look brand new, etc.

Thoughts?

I suppose I'm having difficulty imagining increased seating capacity at the Superdome without destroying its distinctive shape. I suppose the exterior could be modified (and yes, made more attractive too), but it wouldn't be the same building. Would it be less expensive to add capacity than to demolish and start from scratch? I don't like the idea of New Orleans being "held up" by the owners of the franchise for more money. While it's important for tourism, I'd also agree that there are other priorities which might take precedence at this moment. Back to your thought, Nate, how would you envision an expanded Superdome?

^Tom, I'm not really talking about expanding the Superdome or increasing seating capacity in any way, that's not necessary. The Dome is massive with a capacity of 72-76,000 for football, so that's not a problem at all. I'm talking about keeping it's distinctive shape by improving the exterior, not destroying it. And on the interior, make everything state of the art. To a point, that has already begun to take place, with the new suites, corridors, seats, etc. But take everything to the next level in some way. Maybe find a way to reconfigure seating in the Dome to add more suites and give it a new look. One idea that's on my mind would be to remove certain seating sections at the lower corners of the dome to add open areas that would be filled with concession stands, tables for eating, fun stuff for the fans, etc.

I'm taking the word "new" to its fullest extent. Make everything inside the Dome better, and then add some flare and give it a modern touch by adding new corner plaza levels, reconfigure the seating, add more suites, etc.

Sounds good to me. I still wonder whether or not this would be politically impossible at the moment with so many other items screaming out for funds. How realistic is it to assume that this would gain aproval? Not that it isn't needed on some level, but it could be controversial.

Oh I'm sure there will be people screaming foul against any plan that would send money towards anything related to a "new" Superdome or stadium, especially from north Louisiana. But you know what, New Orleans alone generated something like 60% of this massive budget surplus Louisiana has in its hands right now, so when the time comes, New Orleans deserves its money, no matter where it goes.

Oh I'm sure there will be people screaming foul against any plan that would send money towards anything related to a "new" Superdome or stadium, especially from north Louisiana. But you know what, New Orleans alone generated something like 60% of this massive budget surplus Louisiana has in its hands right now, so when the time comes, New Orleans deserves its money, no matter where it goes.

While, I think a new Stadium would be great for the New Orleans East area. I don't see it happening , and I don't want it to happen. The perfect spot for the stadium would be on the site of the currently Iberville Housing Projects .Benson talked about putting it there a couple years ago. In order to get another Superbowl we would have to make some improvements on the outside of the stadium, and that Jazz Park has to get built.

I've noticed that grimy hoods surround many cities' stadiums. Miami's AA arena is right in the heart of Overtown, Dolphin Stadium is in Carol City, MSG in NY got projects nearby, United Center in Chicago got hoods &/or projects surrounding it. This got me thinking if Iberville was torn down and the Superdome was put in its place; Iberville would either be moved to New Orleans East or CBD.

Over my damn dead body! New Orleans East residents would not allow a project to be moved here. I would fight as long as I need to so that those projects don't come to the " East" . Let's put the projects uptown in central city , or the Garden district, or even lakeview. I tired of people from uptown, lakeview, and midcity saying "lets put all of the bulls*it in the east" I had enough of it. Thats what got the East looking the way that it is , other residents from different parts of town don't want to carry the load of poverty in their neighborhoods so they say Oh, lets put it in New Orlaens East. Section 8 is what got the East looking the way that it is. What New Orleans East need to do is turn into its own city, Then we would'nt have to worry about the failing school system, the section 8 housing , and/or the New Orleans poloticians. Matter of fact I'm going to plan a meeting in my Neighborhood to discuss the matter of turning into our own city. Something like Sugarland, tx would be a nice fit. Im sorry for my rant ,but that last statement just got to me.

A new stadium would never go up on the Iberville site, mainly because it would be to large of a structure that close to the French Quarter. Personally I think Iberville should be converted into a mix use district. With upscale homes, retail, and office space for an expanding medical industry, and also include tourism facilities that would help the recovering theater district.

Also make 30-40% of the residetial units low price or low income.

Over my damn dead body! New Orleans East residents would not allow a project to be moved here. I would fight as long as I need to so that those projects don't come to the " East" . Let's put the projects uptown in central city , or the Garden district, or even lakeview. I tired of people from uptown, lakeview, and midcity saying "lets put all of the bulls*it in the east" I had enough of it. Thats what got the East looking the way that it is , other residents from different parts of town don't want to carry the load of poverty in their neighborhoods so they say Oh, lets put it in New Orlaens East. Section 8 is what got the East looking the way that it is. What New Orleans East need to do is turn into its own city, Then we would'nt have to worry about the failing school system, the section 8 housing , and/or the New Orleans poloticians. Matter of fact I'm going to plan a meeting in my Neighborhood to discuss the matter of turning into our own city. Something like Sugarland, tx would be a nice fit. Im sorry for my rant ,but that last statement just got to me.

I'd love to see some sort of "Sports District" in this part of the CBD. There's nothing but blocks of street-level parking lots and blighted properties along that portion of Loyola and S Rampart.

Also, I've been to the ESPN Zone in Chicago and in D.C. and I would love to see one here in New Orleans.

Good choice. I wonder who owns most of this property? Is it tied up with the current project for the Hyatt and the Jazz Park? The location makes perfect sense. As for ESPN Zone, I have to say that I have usually found their places a bit on the corporate/boring side of things. Maybe that's because when I have visited them, I have been attending various corporate sorts of events. I'd rather see something similar, but with a more local provenance. If New Orleans can't build its own night club, then who can?

Archived